Author Topic: Fargo - 2019 / Annie & ?  (Read 2279 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Fargo - 2019 / Annie & ?
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 12:07 »
Thank you for finding this Alison - I've been keeping an eye for additional information in the media but hadn't found anything!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 21:53 »
From July 5, 2019

The four Fargo chicks, two males and two females, were named Zeus, Stormy, Willow and Savanna.

FARGO — At about 5 weeks old, the four peregrine falcon chicks found on top of the Bank of the West tower are expected to begin flying any day now.

Peregrines and their chicks have made the tower their home for almost 20 years, but the four chicks found in mid-June were the first after a two-year absence.

After the chicks, two male and two female, were weighed and banded by regional raptor expert Tim Driscoll, who came to Fargo from Grand Forks, they were ready to be named.

Bank of the West employees were encouraged to suggest names for the chicks, which were then voted on in a two-step process.

More than 45 male and 40 female names were suggested, but after careful deliberation, four were chosen — Zeus, Stormy, Willow and Savanna, the latter of which was chosen to honor Savanna LaFontaine-Greywind, who was murdered in Fargo in August 2017.

https://www.inforum.com/news/science-and-nature/3291781-Falcon-chick-nesting-atop-bank-tower-named-in-honor-of-slain-Fargo-woman

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 11:23 »
Thank you.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 15:54 »
I clicked on the link but there was no video  ???  Do I have to click on something else when the picture of the chick comes up?

Actually two clicks :) but here is the direct link to the story - https://www.inforum.com/news/science-and-nature/2709450-Peregrine-chicks-return-to-Fargos-Bank-of-the-West-tower

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 15:22 »
I clicked on the link but there was no video  ???  Do I have to click on something else when the picture of the chick comes up?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 20:06 »
The resident female hasn't been identified yet ... there is a chance however that she has a black band.  The folks in ND are working on identifying her but no luck yet.
As for it being Annie, Tim in ND wasn't sure so he sent me a picture and though it isn't clear, because we have photos of band numbers we were able to confirm that Annie is still hanging in down in Fargo - nice to see he's got more chicks too.  He's from Jules' & Beau's first nest together in 2010 which was our first time peregrines had been back to the West Winnipeg territory since the beginning of the Project! 

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/1139699430641287168

There's a video clip on the link in this tweet if folks are interested !

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Fargo - 2019 / Annie & ?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:07 »
The peregrines have returned to Fargo, North Dakota, and they have four chicks! I don't know who the resident female is, but it seems that Annie is still the resident male!

June 13, 2019

Peregrine chicks return to Fargo's Bank of the West tower

For the first time in around two years, peregrine falcon chicks have been found in a nest on top of the Bank of the West tower in downtown Fargo.

The four chicks are about two weeks old, according to regional raptor expert Tim Driscoll, who came to Fargo from Grand Forks Thursday, June 13, to put tracking bands on the legs of the birds.

The father is said to be a falcon named Annie, who was mis-banded as female. He is originally from Winnipeg and is around 8 years old, Driscoll said.

Peregrine falcons, which are considered the fastest member of the animal kingdom, have made their home on top of the 122-foot Bank of the West tower since 2001. While making a dive, called a stoop, they can reach speeds in excess of 200 mph, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Driscoll, who is a is licensed bander who’s been following peregrines for more than a decade said banding the birds can help experts keep track of them when they migrate south for the winter.

"If that bird is found dead — heaven forbid — in Texas or Mexico, then we'll know where it went," Driscoll explained.

https://www.inforum.com/news/science-and-nature/2709450-Peregrine-chicks-return-to-Fargos-Bank-of-the-West-tower

Banded black/black *C/7, Annie was born in West Winnipeg in 2010. It's good to know he is alive and well.