Author Topic: 2019 Name the Chick(s) Contest  (Read 2664 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: 2019 Name the Chick(s) Contest
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 21:37 »
I understand your reasoning for not banding the Radisson chicks or the McKenzie Seeds chicks, and I agree 100%. The most important thing is the safety of the birds.

Yes the birds' safety is always of primary concern however, it's more sympathy or empathy for Fiona at the Radisson in this case. We've banded chicks on the ledge without difficulty though it tends to more expensive than we can afford on a regular basis. Trey and Ty are both successful males that were hatched, banded and fledged off the ledge. Hopefully this year's chicks will do as well (knock on wood).  I think that Fiona could be an excellent successor for Princess at the Radisson, she's really done a bang up job so far and I'd hate for her to go seeking greener pastures and taking Pip with her - they make a good pair and could have many more years together. So giving her and her first family one less disturbance this year might work out better in the long run with the added bonus that we don't break the bank. Still really want to band them and to add insult to injury, this week's weather has been perfect, more perfect than we have ever had at banding time! Maybe the weather will hold for fledging as well - that would make it all worthwhile!

And the peregrines are the safest ones at McKenzie Seeds these days 😁 it's the pigeons who risk becoming breakfast (and lunch and dinner and snacks in between!) and us weak humans who risk histoplasmosis to band the little darlings. 

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 19:07 »
How about Thing1, Thing 2, Thing 3 for the Radisson Trio?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 14:50 »
C is the best option.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 10:17 »
Option C is good  :)

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 09:27 »
Option c.

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 01:17 »
I choose c as well.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 12:48 »
I also choose option C.

I understand your reasoning for not banding the Radisson chicks or the McKenzie Seeds chicks, and I agree 100%. The most important thing is the safety of the birds.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 10:27 »
Option c.
I also like the idea of T of T.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 23:29 »
I like option "c" I also like the idea of Tot being short for a longer title.....T of T. Given her size, a big name could be in order!

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 21:20 »
I chose C

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 17:33 »
I choose "c", please.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
2019 Name the Chick(s) Contest
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 15:03 »
:-\ As I continue to call our little Logan resident TOT, I was thinking this name needs to stay. The letters could represent her full title...…………………… T of T. Just a thought!  ::)

So the question I've been mulling over is whether the "Name the Chick(s)" contest should just be for Tot or for Tot and her cousins at West Winnipeg. 

We are going to give the Radisson a miss this year in part because they are on the east side ledge, in part because Fiona is new here and has already been very stressed when there was work being done near the nestbox just before she was ready to start laying.  Although she appears to be a very solid bird, I don't know her well enough to risk her wanting to avoid the Radisson next year should she return.  So we will let the Radisson chicks go unbanded unless they run into trouble and end up grounded or in care, then we will bling them up no worries. 

As for the McKenzie Seeds chicks, much as I want to band them (and I really really want to band them), the state of the part of the building where we need to access the roof is just too much of a human health hazard so we will not be banding them this year.  RCF will watch them fly on our behalf and hopefully (knock on wood), they do well and we won't have an opportunity to band them, but if we do, we will.

So what do folks think? Contest to name a) Tot, b) the West Wpg chicks or c) Tot & the West Wpg chicks?