Author Topic: Radisson - 2020 / Pip & Ella  (Read 40945 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2020 / Pip & Ella
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2020, 13:48 »
I'm going to work on a longer report this afternoon/evening - upshot is everyone looks fine, really.  Chicks were fed 5 times between the time of the fight and 1300h today, and they both ate each time.  Ella isn't showing any signs of being injured, bit muffed up, but not as much as I've seen others, like Princess.  And I'm sure her feet hurt a bit, but she isn't showing any impairment - sometimes you see them stepping lightly or what seems like awkwardly, actually it is perfectly normal during incubation and brooding - I keep thinking it must be like having both your feet fall asleep every time you have a nap with the kids.  She's flying and bringing in food and using her feet to feed the chicks and herself, so she's not finding the after effects of yesterday's fight at all restricting.

And no, we haven't had any reports of injured peregrines - and I've notified the rehab organizations just in case.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2020, 13:42 »
Are we thinking this might have been Princess?

I've been through the video and though I couldn't see the interloper's band number, bird definitely didn't look like Princess - breast too white, no pattern on head.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2020, 13:24 »
RCF, can you share how to take a screenshot and post? I use IE Windows 10

I will PM you.

Thanks! Got it!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2020, 12:55 »
Still two chicks and two eggs being sat on.

Offline mspeach

• Hatchling
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2020, 12:11 »
Are we thinking this might have been Princess?

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2020, 11:43 »

I will PM you.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2020, 11:02 »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2020, 10:24 »
I missed all of this yesterday as I was at a funeral, probably good as I wasn't in the frame mind to see something like this.

Thank you TPC for going out there - I would have done the same thing!  The kids look good so far today, they are currently being fed on cam.  :) 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:28 by carly »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2020, 10:24 »
https://youtu.be/-y6TiHLsljg
As the chicks were being fed, I saw only 1 egg, although the other was likely hidden from view. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 11:00 by GCG »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2020, 07:44 »
While I realize this is nature's way, I am heartbroken to read the events from yesterday. I join all of you who await news that all is well at this site and our chicks and eggs survived the ordeal.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2020, 23:11 »
It sure was terrible to watch, especially since all seemed to be going so well - the right nest choice, 4 eggs, 2 successful hatches, then BANG out of nowhere - Yikes!  :-\ - Have to say I felt much better after knowing TPC had arrived - whether she could do anything or not.  ;D - Looks like one of the eggs might have been too badly damaged and looks to be discarded by the parents - hopefully everyone else is ok and this is all done & dusted.  8)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2020, 22:05 »
It can't be easy to watch a fight between two beautiful birds that you love, TPC!  Thanks for everything you do - we and the PF's are so lucky to have such a dedicated advocate :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2020, 21:43 »
Not looking forward to it, but will go through the recording tomorrow and see if I can tell who Ella was fighting with.  Did spot 2 of the 3 digits of Ella's band number near the end of the melee so more confident that it was Ella and a female interloper - has seen the feet earlier and they looked female in size so was pretty sure before but nice to know for sure.

Ella was just tucking chicks and eggs under her a couple of minutes ago and things looked okay. What little I was able to review tonight of the fight, though truly a knock-down drag-out affair, I was struck by how much the fight actually avoided the chicks/eggs. Not entirely of course but Ella knew where her babies were at all times and she seemed to keep the majority of the fight away from them.  Very impressive.

Still not looking forward to watching the fight tomorrow but good to know these chicks have such a protective Mom.