Author Topic: Radisson - 2020 / Pip & Ella  (Read 41017 times)

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2020 / Pip & Ella
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2020, 21:40 »
All four tucked in under an attentive parent. I love that sideways look up!
G'night, all.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2020, 21:10 »
The fight was a bit of a puzzle.

It is late in the season to start nesting - not impossible but basically need 90 days to get from eggs  in the oven (so to speak) to chicks to fledging. At this point chicks would be fledging end of August into September which is pushing it.

I understand thinking the Radisson is the nestsite the interloper wanted, its true site everyone wants BUT Ella is dominant, established and at the height of her reproductive defensiveness - huge risk for the interloper because Ella has everything and nothing to lose if you get my meaning.  She wasn't giving up the nestbox period full stop.

Will the interloper return ... good question and one I can't answer.  I can't see that it would be worth the risk since Ella and Pip retain control of the nestbox and they will be very on guard now! But that doesn't mean they won't - but will they get that close again, I wouldn't think so ... time will tell ...

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2020, 20:55 »
Haven’t been here for ages but still guest watch a few times. Watched the drama and was very happy to see Ella back in the box with her family. Curious to know if the attacker is gone for good or still able to return to disturb the nest.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2020, 20:48 »
Thank you, TPC. If there's one thing we've learned on this forum, it's that we have to let nature do it's thing as hard as it is.  :(

I'm glad things were calmed down when you got there. We definitely don't want those babies stressed!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2020, 20:24 »
Ella(?) is back on chicks and one egg.  The other egg has not been gathered/shuggled under.   :-\

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2020, 20:22 »
Pip just brought a meal, but Ella was reluctant to get off the babies...Now only one baby eating...Okay, the other one is eating now too.  I sure hope these little ones are okay.  And hope that Ella's okay... :-* ???

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2020, 20:19 »
 One chick is being fed by a parent.  I thought I saw two chicks moving but only one seems interested in feeding.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 20:22 by bcbird »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2020, 20:14 »
Hey Folks

Just got back from the Hotel so haven't checked the cams or recordings figured I'd post here first.

We were working to get on the roof when the fight ended and Pip (by the clear white breast) returned to settle back with the chicks. Had to press the pause then to reassess going and opening up the nestbox. 

If the birds had still been fighting it definitely would have been worth it but with the fight over and the adult back with the chicks then we have to way disturbing the birds and stressing the adults to check the chicks. And this is where the problem arises ... very young chicks have a very low survival rate in rehab - they just are so fragile.  Over the last two years we have tried to save a six chicks and only two have lived past 24 hours. So if a chick were injured their chance of survival is even lower.

It would be nice to be sure we could protect them from everything but the reality is that we can do a lot and we are willing to do whatever we can, but there are times when we have to ask if we are doing something because we should OR because it something we want to do.

In this case I decided that leaving the Ella and Pip alone with their chicks/eggs was better for them all.   

If a chick was injured and can't survive then it will die surrounded by all that it knows and is comforted by.  If the chicks are shaken up but injured, then more stress will not help matters.  If Ella and Pip are injured from their defence of their nest/young, then my appearance on the roof would cause them more stress which could exacerbate their injuries.

So now, we wait and see and hope for the best for this little family.  It is an old cliche and oft quoted here  - but Nature can be unkind to its children.  Maybe she hasn't been too unkind this time, we will just have to wait and see.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2020, 19:23 »
All quiet on the western front!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2020, 19:22 »
Hopefully if it was damaged, the chick is still able to hatch.

I hope so ballywing!

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2020, 19:21 »
Hopefully if it was damaged, the chick is still able to hatch.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2020, 19:07 »
I saw both chicks moving and I saw huge cracks in one of those eggs. I hope it's from hatching and not from being thrown around the box. :-\

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2020, 19:03 »
 7 :03 p.m.

I think Ella is on the chicks now. :)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2020, 18:56 »
Just got a msg from Liz - she says 'I'm at the Radisson. - TPC is here. - She says all is ok. It was females locked together, not the parents. - Dad is with chicks.  ;D ;D