Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2021 / Hart & Esme  (Read 5331 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2021 / Hart & Esme
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2021, 19:07 »
It is amazing how much I miss the West Winnipeg camera! Most of our nests don't have cameras so what's one more ... damn it (excuse my profanity) it does make a difference! Why does technology get so dumb at the same time that it is getting smart?!!!

Anywho, rant over. Camera or no camera, I look up when I go past West Winnipeg. As I did today on my way back from one errand and on my way to the next. No time to detour or stop or anything, but still above me in the sky was a peregrine, not soaring like one of the adults but rather flapping and circling in an inexperienced though not inept manner. And maintaining good altitude and with nice speed as it wheeled around.  My first thought, which after so many years is better than 50/50 but not 100%, was that this was one of the girls test driving the big flappies and doing a decent job of it. And then I was past and out of sight.

Thank heavens for the lack of wind I heat waves and 🤬 technology that interferes with our being able to watch that first big leap, even if just a recording!!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2021, 09:04 »
The Radisson chicks are closing in on fledging - same too for the West Wpg girls - without our cam at this site I can't provide an ETA but they are a feisty pair that's for sure!  Good thing about hot weather, there is generally less wind (excepting during T-storms that may accompany the heat of course).  Nice thing about this nest site is there is a ramp to the roof so the chicks can get lots of pre-fledging exercise - which they usually do - which seems (knock on wood) to help with their wing strength and flight skills!

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2021, 06:38 »
No need to strain your eyes…go to link for your easy viewing pleasure.
https://pbase.com/photosbydennis/west_winnipeg_2021

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2021, 07:36 »
West Wpg Banding Gallery now created with a few photos in place…more to be added soon. Along with flight captures from the days event.
https://pbase.com/photosbydennis/west_winnipeg_2021

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2021, 13:25 »
Yes so good to hear Hart has a family this year and that they are healthy!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2021, 18:54 »
Thank you for the latest update on Hart and Esme. I'm happy you were still able to band their two chicks.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2021, 15:48 »
Well, Hart and Esme's chcicks are bigger and older than we thought! Seems Hart and his new ladyfriend got "busy" very quickly and we're in fact the first to lay/hatch. 

We went to check on them today and thought they were likely old enough to band so we took all our gear with us.  Good thing, if we had waited until next week we'd have had to give them a pass - not something we'd like to do given Esme is unbanded. 

Both chicks were/are girls - but with more slender feet and legs than many of our other female chicks. We let them try on lots of bling to be sure we had the best size.  One biter and screamer, the other quieter but gave me a look that said she'd not forget me. Ever.

Dennis of course took photos  ;D but he has a busy schedule at the moment so it may take a bit until I post the story on the blog. When I do however, I will be sure to post the link here.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 22:44 »
Any news on this site?

Not since Eye-Spy's last peek at them when he was working on our equipment.  Still haven't got our connection back up and running, but we will be checking on them again in the next couple of days as we think they should be just about ready to band.

More news as we have it ...

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 17:41 »
Any news on this site?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2021, 20:08 »
Good to hear things look hopeful!  No pictures of lonely Hart this year :)

Very few pictures of Hart at all! I've said it before I know, but each bird is an individual and every pair has its own personality as well! She seems to know what she wants and he seems to like supporting her. She seems to be very self sufficient as well so she's been easy for him to partner with.  Will be nice when we have the cam back though so I can see how she does as a Mom ...fingers crossed it is soon.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 19:08 »
Really hoping to learn that Hart has a family this year.

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2021, 19:01 »
Good to hear things look hopeful!  No pictures of lonely Hart this year :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2021, 17:25 »
Only that we are waiting for a new modem to arrive so that we can connect to the cameras again.  The cameras work just fine just won't talk to us ...

When Eye-Spy was checking what the problem was, he was watching the new female, Esme, in the nestbox and she appeared to be on eggs and incubating.  How many eggs and how long she'd been incubating we can't say, but we think because of other behaviour at the time that any eggs they have would hatch first week in June at the earliest. 

Not sure if we will have the cameras connected before hatch or after, but we are working on it and we are keeping an eye on the nestsite to see when the adults' behaviour changes from incubating to chick rearing much as we are doing in Brandon and Selkirk.

Sorry, that's all we know at the moment ...

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 16:34 »
Any update on this nest site?