Author Topic: IN / Wheatfield - 2009-12  (Read 1776 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
IN / Wheatfield - 2012 / ? & Latesha
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 16:16 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

According to the Midwest Raptor Project, Latesha is still the female at this location, no information on the male so my contact thinks it is likely the same male (Rollins).  They had 3 chicks this year - one male (Nick) and two females (Alexandra and June).  My understanding is that all three chicks fledged successfully.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: IN / Wheatfield - 2010 / no nest
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 10:45 »
My contact says that there was no nest at this site this year ... maybe next year ...

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: IN / Wheatfield - 2010 / ? & ?
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 17:45 »
Someone home this afternoon:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: IN / Wheatfield - 2010 / ? & ?
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 22:42 »
One at the nest in the late afternoon:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
IN / Wheatfield - 2010 / ? & ?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 21:04 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

This is the first time I have seen a peregrine at the nest this year. Moments later, he/she left:

link to webcam: http://www.nisource.com/enviro/falcon.asp

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: IN / Wheatfield - 2009 / Rollin & Latesha
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 17:29 »
According to Greg Septon's Annual Report, Latesha and her mate Rollin did have at least three chicks this year.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 20:33 »
It could be that the nestsite wasn't occupied, just a popular roost spot - all territories include roost sites.  Could be that the chick isn't from this nestsite, rather just visiting.  June 18th is early for a fledgling, heck its early for chicks without fuzz, so it could be possible to check for a site nearby that did have chicks ... there is a site elsewhere where the pair chose a nearby cliff-face rather than the nestbox with a camera ... could have been the same kind of thing here ...

Does that help/answer ...?

Thank you, TPC, that does help. I had wondered if the juvie might be a visitor, but he/she looked so comfortable in the nest box. The adults did spend a lot of time at the nest this year during the breeding season (as far as could be seen with the limited view).

The site where the pair chose the cliff is Alma, Wisconsin, where they had four chicks this year. I'm not sure what other nests are near the Wheatfield site.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 21:47 »
It could be that the nestsite wasn't occupied, just a popular roost spot - all territories include roost sites.  Could be that the chick isn't from this nestsite, rather just visiting.  June 18th is early for a fledgling, heck its early for chicks without fuzz, so it could be possible to check for a site nearby that did have chicks ... there is a site elsewhere where the pair chose a nearby cliff-face rather than the nestbox with a camera ... could have been the same kind of thing here ...

Does that help/answer ...?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
IN / Wheatfield - 2009-12
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 23:05 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

I have a question for TPC about the Nipsco nest in Wheatfield, Indiana. During the breeding season, the cam was focused only on the exterior perch. A pair of adult peregrines were observed visiting the perch. but it was not possible to tell whether there were eggs since the cam view did not change.

Last year the cam was focused on the inside of the nest, but no peregrines visited.

This year, in June, I caught a few pics of a juvie on the edge of the nest, so I believe that there was at least one chick.

According to Kittenface, she had contacted Nipsco and received this reply:

Thank you for contacting NIPSCO. Currently, no falcons have nested where our falcon-cam is located. If you're interested in more information about our falcon program, please contact the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.

One of the adults in February of this year. The indoor/outdoor carpet covering the perch had come loose, and blew iin the breeze quite a bit:

A few of the pics I saved of the juvie on June 18:

link to cam:  http://www.nisource.com/enviro/falcon.asp