Author Topic: AZ / Phoenix - 2016-17  (Read 10578 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: AZ / Phoenix - 2016-17
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2016, 18:40 »
I'm not sure how long between the time chick fell and when put back in the box, TPC. However, my post saying they were panning for chick was at 13:34, and post saying they put chick back was at 14:50 (so not very long, but there may have been a vet nearby).

I haven't seen the mother yet, so I'm still worried about her, but can't watch much longer.

I hope someone will post the AZGFD update here if they see it.

I don't know what fhe time frame was. The chick was not visible when I went to the site this morning. Had the cam up much of the day, but did not actually see the chick until after he/she was back iin the nest.

I have not seen Mom today, but she is a strong falcon.

It is still 113 degrees in Phoenix.

I read elsewhere that when the chick was found, she was on her back and not moving. Then, she moved her head and stood up. I cannot guarantee that this information is correct.

I have pics of Dad with the chick, but can't post as I am not able to get into Photobucket.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2016, 18:16 »
I'm not sure how long between the time chick fell and when put back in the box, TPC. However, my post saying they were panning for chick was at 13:34, and post saying they put chick back was at 14:50 (so not very long, but there may have been a vet nearby).

I haven't seen the mother yet, so I'm still worried about her, but can't watch much longer.

I hope someone will post the AZGFD update here if they see it.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2016, 18:07 »

Thank you for posting the update from AZGFD, Alison.

I have not joined Facebook, and because I've been browsing there too often, I'm getting blocked a lot.

That update doesn't clearly specify who examined the chick though.

You're welcome, Burdi. I don't know who examined the chick; they did not say. I don't do Facebook either, nor do I intend to. For about the last two weeks, they appear to have blocked all public pages.

I was able to read that update, and also the comments. Many people have now posted there that they believe the chick is dead.  :(

Dad is still with his chick. He has tried over and over to revive the little one, but no response.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2016, 17:51 »
Dad is still in the nest, attempting to brood the chick, but the chick has been unresponsive. I have only seen the chick's white down feathers move slightly in the breeze.  I have seen no sign of breathing.  :(

No official update so far.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2016, 17:48 »

Thank you for posting the update from AZGFD, Alison.

I have not joined Facebook, and because I've been browsing there too often, I'm getting blocked a lot.

That update doesn't clearly specify who examined the chick though.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2016, 17:34 »
Does anyone know if the chick was checked by a vet after that dangerous fall???

I'm not seeing any movement in the chick, and getting very worried.  ???

Just feeling very sad right now....

It sounds as if the chick was taken to be checked out.

As you may all know, this morning the peregrine chick fell from the nest. Earlier this afternoon, it was recovered and taken for an examination. It appears to be in good health and is expected to to be returned to the nest later afternoon.

When I checked the site a while ago, the chick was back in the nest and was being protected by Dad. Dad spread his wings completely over the chick at one point.

Dad has been panting heavily. However, I have not seen any movement from the chick. I am very concerned. I hope the Wildlife people are monitoring this situation.

Hoping for the best.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2016, 17:32 »

I have no doubt the extreme heat has contributed to what happened, but hopefully the parents will survive the heat, along with their stress.

Mom hasn't come by yet, at least as far as I've seen. This is terribly  heartbreaking.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2016, 17:18 »
I haven't been on the Phoenix cam - how long was it between the time he fell and when he was brought back to the box?  Long enough to get checked out by a vet?  And shock is not something you can see on an exam or x-ray but it can kill birds later on.  

Looking at the temperature forecast posted earlier on this thread, I think that would be a greater concern - peregrine chicks rely on getting all their moisture from the food their parents bring them, so dehydration would be a big concern.  Heck, I worry about our chicks at the Radisson in the hot afternoon sun but fortunately, by the time the sun starts to really get hot in June, the chicks are able to move in/out of the shade in the box, their parents are good about providing shade and it fortunately doesn't last long and when it is gone, the chicks can hang out/sleep out on the balcony and catch whatever breeze there may be.  And it isn't much easier for the adults, they can only pant to thermoregulate so they tend to hang out in the shade, preferably shade and a breeze or they end up having a bath somewhere which does cool them down but I can't say how easy that kind of bath might be possible in the Phoenix area ....

Hopefully there will be an update later ...

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2016, 16:45 »
Dad looks like he's grieving. :'(

Wouldn't it be standard procedure to have a chick Vet checked after a hard fall like that?  ???

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2016, 16:24 »
Does anyone know if the chick was checked by a vet after that dangerous fall???

I'm not seeing any movement in the chick, and getting very worried.  ???

Just feeling very sad right now....

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2016, 15:27 »
Thank you for your comment regarding the solo chicks, TPC. I also hope the box will be redesigned as you suggested.

Perhaps even a small adjustment with a ledge that extends outwards would have helped, and then some boxes also have ramps to help prevent accidents.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2016, 15:18 »
Chick appears ok after the fall.  :)

The poor parents are definitely not looking comfortable today ... it's way too hot for everyone!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2016, 15:08 »
They just put the chick back in the box. 

That is excellent news!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2016, 14:50 »
They just put the chick back in the box.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2016, 14:30 »
One of the problems with solos is that they tend to try to follow their parents not having siblings to anchor them in the nestbox.  We've had this problem a number of times.  Sherpa (our little climber) was our scariest - not dissimilar to this chick - he climbed out of the nestbox and I managed to snag him from the ledge before he went anywhere.  Solos also tend to fledge way too soon.

Hopefully they will look at redesigning that nestbox some to prevent the chick from accessing the ledge until it can fly.  Or at least that is what I would be looking at and that pre-supposes that there wouldn't be a technical difficulty doing so.