Author Topic: CA / San Jose - 2009-15  (Read 6635 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: CA / San Jose - 2015 / Fernando El Cohete & Clara
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2015, 11:05 »
Hunter needed to be rescued and was picked up safely and taken to get eye looked at.  :)
Skye had to be rescued too, crows have brought her down for the second time.
Have you heard anything more about Hunter, soaring west? Any kind of eye injury is not good; I'm glad she was taken to be checked out. Hope Skye is okay too.

Yesterday I saw two of the fledglings back at the nest. Because the cam is not clear, it's really hard to tell which two.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2015, 17:21 »
Hunter needed to be rescued and was picked up safely and taken to get eye looked at.  :)
Skye had to be rescued too, crows have brought her down for the second time.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 17:24 by soaring west »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2015, 16:46 »
The official fledge watch began on May 11. Sky was the first to fledge, yesterday morning. Buzo was the next to fledge, also yesterday.

Hunter was the last to fledge, early this morning.

Fly safely, little ones!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2015, 16:43 »
All three chicks hatched.

They were banded by Glenn Stewart on April 22. They are three girls.

The chicks are:

Hunter (Silver band, 00/Z) – nominated by Arianna, Marisa, and Vyvy, Grade 4, Holly Oak Elementary

Buzo (Red band, 59/R) – nominated by Stuart, Kindergarten, Trace Elementary

Sky (Blue band, 10/R) – nominated by Tiana, Grade 5, Village School

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
CA / San Jose - 2015 / Fernando El Cohete & Clara
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2015, 10:02 »
2015 NESTING SEASON

Clara and Fernando El Cohete are still the resident peregrines at this nest.

They have been incubating three eggs, and this morning there is at least one hatch:

plug-in link:  http://sanjose.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?publish_id=91

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
CA / San Jose - 2014 / Fernando El Cohete & Clara
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2014, 14:23 »
2014 NESTING SEASON

As of January 29th, Clara and Fernando El Cohete have already been observed on the Falcon Cam, and their activity reported to the forum by devoted followers.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: CA / San Jose - 2013 / Fernando El Cohete & Clara
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2013, 19:44 »
These chicks have been named. Here is a link to San Jose thread in BCAW about the names. Also a lnk to photos of the one that was rescued.

Names - http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=245933#p245933

Photos -  http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=245965#p245965

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: CA / San Jose - 2013 / Fernando El Cohete & Clara
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2013, 13:37 »
San Jose Nest Diary 2013:

April 4: Three of the four eggs hatched on Sunday March 31 and Monday April 1 but one unhatched egg remains in the nest. We plan to band the young on April 23 at about 7:30 a.m.

April 23: Three male falcon nestlings were banded at 23 days of age today. Fledging will occur about May 11.

May 5: The red-taped nestling, 90/P was exercising his wings on the ledge today when a gust of wind carried him away and he fluttered safely to the ground. An alert citizen called San Jose Animal Services and the youngster was spirited away to the wildlife animal shelter where we promptly caught up to him. He will be re-united with his family when the unusually windy conditions subside. The "normal" fledging period for males begins at 41 days-old or Saturday May 11th.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
CA / San Jose - 2013 / Fernando El Cohete & Clara
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2013, 16:05 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

as of 19 Feb 2013 - there is an egg in the nestbox at the San Jose City Hall

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: CA / San Jose - 2012 / Fernando el Cohete & Clara
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2012, 10:37 »
According to the website, although there were a few fledging mishaps here, all 4 fledglings survived and were spotted flying well, in the vicinity of City Hall for a month or more after fledging. :)

Offline SusanE

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2012, 16:40 »
Thanks for posting those numbers, Kinderchick.  I will add that the VID bands are solid black.  (I used to think only Canadian falcons received solid black bands . . . so I'm learning.    :) )

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2012, 12:53 »
Sounds as if Cobalt made an "accidental" fledge here, but he seems to be okay. Must have been after all of the wingersizing I was watching. ;)

More info from this nestsite...

IDs and Names (all VID bands on right leg,except 48/D)
-   Hope, 57/Z, female; red tape on left leg
-   Thunder, 51/P, male; yellow tape left leg
-   Cobalt, 48/D, male;  blue tape on right leg
-   Horacio, U/61, male; silver tape on left leg

Fledge Dates:  
-   May 17, 2012:  Cobalt, 8:10p (unceremonious 'fall' off East ledge, quickly recovered, flying to and landing on louvers beneath parents)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2012, 20:32 »
Haven't been to this nest site for awhile. I only see 2 chicks and they are sitting on the nestledge with all of their flight feathers, looking rarin' to go! Some very active wingersizing going on with one of these guys. Also found a great video of 2 of the juvies, Thunder, in the nestbox and Cobalt, up on the nestledge, doing a nice stretch to show of his band number, 48/D... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biVD5f_vo7A&list=UULejx_6wl8PFlyoGuSXlBZw&index=1&feature=plcp

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2012, 19:53 »
All 4 chicks are huddled together in the back left corner of the nestbox right now. Waiting for a feeding, I imagine. :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2012, 14:38 »
According to the website, all 4 chicks hatched Easter weekend and appear to be doing fine. Here are some facts that I found after digging around the website a bit...

2012 Season facts -

Eggs laid:  
#1:   February 25 @ ~7:20p
#2:   February 28 @ ~8:30a (61 hours after egg #1)
#3:   March 1 @ ~ 8:45p (60 hours after egg #2)
#4:   March 4 @ ~ 11:00p (timing extraordinary due to unusual circumstances with the loss of E.C.)

*Hard incubation began:  March 5, 2012  

(*) Hard incubation means minimal time away from the eggs

Eggs hatched:  Three Easter Eyasses ! Sunday, April 8.  #4 arrived overnight, first visible Monday morning.

4/8 @ 7:20a:  Clara stood to reveal one fluffy eyas, and one very wet eyas (newly born)
4/8 @ 10:15a:  Another very wet eyas was in evidence
4/9:  In the early morning hours #4 was visible in the nest
Banding Day: May 1, 2012  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 14:40 by Kinderchick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2012, 20:30 »
According to the website, the resident male from last year, know as "EC", was driven away from the nestsite in early March by a new male in the territory, after Clara had already laid 4 eggs. The new male has been observed delivering food to Clara and engaging in other courtship activity. He has also been sharing incubation duties with Clara so it looks as if he has established himself as the new resident male. "EC" has been spotted on a campus dormitory building less than a half mile from the nestsite, but has not attempted to return.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
CA / San Jose - 2012 / Fernando el Cohete & Clara
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2012, 20:13 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

Apparently, all 4 of the 2011 chicks at this nestsite hatched, were banded in late April 2011 and fledged successfully.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 22:20 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
Re: CA / San Jose - 2011 / Esteban Colbert & Clara
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 10:34 »
Two eggs now...hoping for a 3rd today...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
CA / San Jose - 2011 / Esteban Colbert & Clara
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 11:42 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

Just saw posted on BCAW..Clara and EC have their first egg today too!  Let the season begin!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: CA / San Jose - 2010 / Esteban Colbert & Clara
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 20:57 »
At the nest today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 16:26 »
Voting has begun for names for the chicks at San Jose:

Vote on falcon chick names

SAN JOSE, CA - Thursday is the last day to vote on names for San Jose City Hall's newest falcon chicks.  Voting for celebrity falcons Clara and Esteban Colbert's offspring - one female and two male chicks - ends at 5 p.m. Votes can be cast on the San Jose Peregrine Falcon Alliance website.

The choices for the lone female chick are Artemis, Aurora, Destiny, Estrellita and Maya.
The male names are Hunter, Kekoa, Milagro, Perry, Scout, Swift, Tez, Toofan, Velox, Vehemens and Vincent.

The names in the poll were suggested by schoolchildren in San Jose. The winning names will be announced on the website.

The falcon chicks were born last month on a ledge atop San Jose City Hall. Glenn Stewart, coordinator of the predatory bird research program at the University of California at Santa Cruz, who banded the chicks, said all three chicks are healthy.  This is Clara's fourth nesting season at City Hall and her second with mate Esteban Colbert.

The FalconCam, a live streaming video of the falcons' nest on a City Hall ledge 18 stories above the street, can be viewed on the San Jose city website.

http://www.news10.net/news/watercooler/story.aspx?storyid=81396&catid=335

To vote:  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9T6MYDM

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 22:06 »
Thanks, for the links, Alison.
The video of the banded chicks is quite  cute.  
All three spend a bit of time peering down as if trying to see how the new bling looks.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 19:45 »
From another article: there are two male chicks and one female.

SAN JOSE -- The three Peregrine Falcon fledglings sitting atop San Jose's City Hall have undergone an examination that will make naming them easier. Glen Stewart with the UC Santa Cruz Predatory Bird Research Group has determined what their genders are. Two of them are male and the other is female.

After conducting the examination, Stewart was able to put bands on them. However, the banding did not come easily. Falcon parents Clara and Esteban Colbert swooped down on the perceived intruder 50 to 80 times while he was trying to work. He says that the parents thought they won the battle after he left the ledge.

Stewart says the fledglings are in "robust" condition.

San Jose students are holding a naming contest for the falcons.

http://kliv.com/Gender-of-falcon-chicks-determined/6956200

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 19:42 »
The three chicks were banded yesterday as planned:
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/San-Joses-Falcon-Chicks-Get-Sexed-92669674.html

And there is a short video of the chicks sporting their brand new bands:
http://www.youtube.com/SANJOSEPFA

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 13:39 »
The San Jose chicks will also be banded on Monday:

SJ and SF falcon falcon chicks to get check ups

SAN JOSE, CA (KGO) -- San Jose's world famous Peregrine Falcons will get a visit from a wildlife expert Monday morning.  The falcon parents nicknamed Clara and Esteban Colbert can be seen on a live webcam posted atop San Jose's City Hall.  A researcher will rappel down the side of the building to determine the sex of their baby chicks. The Peregrine chicks will also get banded so they can be identified later.

Also, some falcon chicks nesting on San Francisco's Beale Street PG&E building will also get banded.

Predatory bird researchers from UC Santa Cruz will also check the health of the chicks who live on the edge of the building's 33rd floor. Falcon fans can watch that activity on their live webcam starting at noon.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local&id=7419499

The pic above is from another article on the San Jose chicks:  http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_14991603

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 23:21 »
Interesting but very sad and all a part of life in the natural world, I guess. :-\

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 13:09 »
It can be one or the other.  The adults do remove deceased chicks (depending on size in my experience).  I have heard anecdotally of dead chicks being fed to siblings but I've never seen anything like that ... and my question would be, if a chick dies, would an adult trust feeding it to its siblings.  That and peregrines don't practice siblicide or infanticide so I'm not sure it's a normal response to cannibalize their own young - but I admit its just outside my area of knowledge/experience.  As for outsiders removing chicks, I've done it before - both before and after we had the FalconCam.  I can't think of any other times that a chick was missing from the nest without my having removed it from the box.

It is very sad to hear that the little chick didn't make it.

Just wanted to add a couple of things to TPC's reply. One year at Black Dog, one of the chicks did not survive. Mom waited for a long time, then very gently lifted the little one and flew out of the nest with the chick.

In 2008 at the Richmond nest, there was something wrong with the chicks and they did not survive. Mom again carried them very gently out of the nest.

And unfortunately, I have seen a parent feed a chick who did not survive to the other chicks. Several years ago at King, one of the chicks lived only a few days. Belinda waited and waited for Doug (her former mate, and Mae's last mate) to return, but eventually she fed the lost chick to the others. It was speculated that Doug had taken too long to come back with food for the chicks. It is not common to see this, but sadly it does happen.

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 18:31 »
Thanks TPC.  I had thought of the feeding it to the young also so am glad that you touched on that as well. A persons mind sure goes through a circuit of questions and answers in a situation like this.  Will have to see how it all plays out.  I notice that the cam is not up close any more so we will have to see what is said on the forum.  Thanks again.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 17:20 »
Not a nice question to ask but perhaps Tracey would be able to answer this.  Do the parent/parents remove the deceased wee one from the nest or does someone have to intervene and remove it.  So sad!  They are such cuties, all fluffy and white. :'(
Interesting question, Ellie, because I was actually wondering the same thing. So thanks for your attempt to answer Ellie's question, TPC because you also answered it for me as well as others, I am sure.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 16:55 »
It can be one or the other.  The adults do remove deceased chicks (depending on size in my experience).  I have heard anecdotally of dead chicks being fed to siblings but I've never seen anything like that ... and my question would be, if a chick dies, would an adult trust feeding it to its siblings.  That and peregrines don't practice siblicide or infanticide so I'm not sure it's a normal response to cannibalize their own young - but I admit its just outside my area of knowledge/experience.  As for outsiders removing chicks, I've done it before - both before and after we had the FalconCam.  I can't think of any other times that a chick was missing from the nest without my having removed it from the box.

Know that doesn't really answer your question Ellie, best I've got for you though ....

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 16:47 »
Not a nice question to ask but perhaps Tracey would be able to answer this.  Do the parent/parents remove the deceased wee one from the nest or does someone have to intervene and remove it.  So sad!  They are such cuties, all fluffy and white. :'(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 23:08 »
Fourth egg laid on 17 March 2010.
Clara & Esteban Colbert are in "hard" incubation at this point.
What exactly is meant by "hard" incubation, TPC?  ???

peregrines don't begin incubating typically until the second last egg is laid.  If it's colder they may start an egg earlier, a little warmer/hot maybe not until last egg laid.  Hard incubation is when the eggs are being incubated 24/7.  If very warm, even during hard incubation incubating adult will get off the egg for short periods of time.  

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 22:35 »
Awwwww, that's really sad.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 21:45 »
Oh, that is sad. 
Something else must have been going on then, besides being hatched late?

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 21:30 »
Its just been posted the little one didn't make it

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 21:11 »
What exactly is meant by "hard" incubation, TPC?  ???

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 20:55 »
Yes, I did see four little cuties in chick pile. :)

Yay...hope the little guy is okay  :-*

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 20:39 »
Yes, I did see four little cuties in chick pile. :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 18:02 »
I was watching a parent feeding them at 6pm and all three had very full crops. :)

But there is four of them?  Did you see the little one? :-*

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 17:59 »
I was watching a parent feeding them at 6pm and all three had very full crops. :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 17:55 »
Could be bcbird.  I was going but what others said..my bad, they made it sound like he was on deaths door so I was afraid to look.  The photo I saw, he looked funny shaped but perhaps I was letting other opinions influence me.  I'm glad they posted an update and are sounding a bit more optomistic than the armchair critics  :-*

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 16:59 »
I wonder, could it be the age and size difference that is what doesn't look right.  

From the San Jose Nest Diary 2010:

April 16, 2010:  We have three babies that are six days old and one that is three days old. The smallest one requires less food than older siblings so will not require many bites to grow. Given adequate food delivery to the nest ledge, all will do fine.

Parent is partially off the chicks and looking around, perhaps partner is due for feeding time?   There is one chick in front less active than the others, but otherwise it is a squirmy chickpile.  The cam is being zoomed is right now.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 13:45 »
I am sorry to hear this, Carly. I last checked this site two days ago, and wasn't able to catch Clara off the chicks. There was only a partial view of one chick under her at that time.

Hoping for the best here, but it doesn't sound good.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 13:19 »
One of the eyases is not doing well here and the parents aren't feeding it.   I did see a photo and something doesn't look right about it.  I didn't go look though as it would be too difficult to watch.   :'(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 08:20 »
Not sure about the earlier dates, just found the 17th date on the website's "notes" section ....  ???

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 06:05 »
13 days between egg #3 and #4?  Is this a reasonable interval still able to result in success for the earlier laid eggs?

Really?  Wow...I haven't been keeping up here. 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 23:58 »
13 days between egg #3 and #4?  Is this a reasonable interval still able to result in success for the earlier laid eggs?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 20:18 »

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 20:20 »
#3 today

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
CA / San Jose - 2010 / Esteban Colbert & Clara
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 13:13 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

Clara has also now laid her first egg of the season  :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: CA / San Jose - 2009 / Esteban Colbert & Clara
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 15:43 »
Grrr..wrong pair =p

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 20:27 »
It seemed to be foggy or misty in San Jose today, but one of the adults appeared in the mist:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 21:45 »
From a news article:

San Jose Peregrine Falcons Given Out of Box Holiday Present

SAN JOSE (KCBS)  -- Bird researchers rappelled down the side of City Hall Friday to install a new bird box on the 18th floor, filled with new gravel.

Glen Stewart with the Predatory Bird Research Group at UC Santa Cruz said there's new evidence that egg hatchability is improved if the gravel is changed out every few years.

The city had just two falcons in 1970, when the species was nearly extinct.

These wild falcons, Clara and Esteban Colbert, have successfully hatched 10 falcon chicks during their three years nesting next to the highest levels of city government.

Like city officials, they are heavily scrutinized. Thousands have thrilled to even their mundane activities via webcam.

Perhaps conscious of all the raptor attention, Mayor Chuck Reed went out of his way to note that no taxpayer money was going to the birds.

One thing -- Clara and Esteban have not raised ten chicks together, since this is Esteban's first year at the nest. The previous male was Carlos.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 05:08 »
Love, love the dark hood.  The facial expressions look so fierce on them  :-*

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 20:49 »
At least one of the falcons here has a solid dark hood:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 20:47 »
Found someone at home at the San Jose City Hall. I think it may be Esteban:

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
CA / San Jose - 2009-15
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 01:18 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

From skygirlblue ... there are currently 4 eggs at San Jose.  Laid:  3/12, 3/15, 3/17 (?), 3/19)