Author Topic: ID / Boise - 2009-17  (Read 6401 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Idaho / Boise - 2017 / ? & ?
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2017, 20:49 »
2017 NESTING SEASON

Found this article by accident.

Boise falcon nest cam goes dark, but kestrel cam planned

Idaho Statesman

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — Officials say there will be no live streaming video of peregrine falcons nesting in downtown Boise this year.

Erin Katzner of the Peregrine Fund tells the Idaho Statesman (http://bit.ly/2mNXjlJ) in a story on Thursday that the decision is part of a programming change after the popularity of the nesting falcons declined.

Last year, live streaming video recorded the incubation of the eggs in April and hatching of four chicks in early May.

A steady stream of dead birds brought in by their predator parents ensued at the nest on the 14th floor at One Capital Center, and all four chicks took flight later that summer.

Katzner says a live stream of an American kestrel family that nests on the roof of one of the Peregrine Fund's buildings will return this year.

I was surprised to read that there will be no Boise webcam this year, especially considering that this is the World Center for Birds of Prey. Sorry to see the cam go; I watched it every year it was online. Sad that the popularity of the peregrines has declined; that seems strange to me.

So far, I have seen nothing about this on the Boise website.

http://hosted2.ap.org/TNCLE/3cb600d50a53461980204c7eba14c12e/Article_2017-03-03-ID--Peregrine%20Cam/id-25bebd17f8954f52a65ee778b92f22f7

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
ID / Boise - 2013 / ? & ?
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2014, 14:37 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

Peregrine Falcon Nest Webcam Live In Downtown Boise
The Birding Wire / 17 April 2013          

The daily life of a wild peregrine falcon family in downtown Boise, Id. is once again on view via a web camera in the nest box, marking the fifth year that the webcam has followed the daily activities at a nest box on the 14th floor of One Capital Center, 10th and Main streets.  The nest box has been used each spring since 2003. The ledge where the nest box is located simulates the high, steep cliffs the falcons use in the wild. The falcons, which eat other birds, prey on a plentiful supply of pigeons, mourning doves, starlings and other birds downtown.  

This year, the first egg was laid April 1 and a fourth on Monday, April 8, and incubation has started.  Last year, the female laid the last egg on April 30. Hatching began on June 4, and the first flight from the nest occurred on July 13. The young birds stayed in the downtown area for several weeks to hone their flying and hunting skills under the watchful eyes of their parents.

Once an endangered species, the peregrine falcon was restored through the release of captive-bred young by The Peregrine Fund. It was removed from the endangered species list in 1999, but the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and individual states continue to monitor peregrine population numbers.  The falcon was removed from Idaho's list of endangered species in 2009. Like all birds of prey, the falcons remain protected by state and federal law.

Peregrines were essentially gone from Idaho by 1974. Starting in 1982, captive-bred falcons were released into the wild in Idaho and nearby states. In 1985, the raptors were again documented as a breeding species, and releases were discontinued. Eight falcons were released in downtown Boise in 1988 and 1989. Today, there are about two dozen breeding pairs scattered around the state.

The web camera is sponsored by The Peregrine Fund, Idaho Department of Fish and Game and Fiberpipe. The nest also can be viewed on monitors in the lobby of One Capital Center, courtesy of Oppenheimer Development Corp. and J.R. Simplot Co.

source:   http://www.birdingwire.com/releases/285548/

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: ID / Boise - 2012 / ? & ?
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2012, 19:48 »
webcam & website link: http://www.peregrinefund.org/subsites/webcam-peregrine/

no eggs yet and at the moment, no birds in the nestbox though there are feathers blowing in the wind ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
ID / Boise - 2012 / ? & ?
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2012, 19:47 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

Peregrines Falcons return to downtown Boise
posted: 23 March 2012

BOISE, Idaho (KBOI) - The popular "falcon-cam" in downtown Boise is once again seeing activity.  The webcam, which is hosted by the Peregrine Fund, Idaho Department of Fish and Game and Internet provider Fiberpipe, is at a nest box on the 14th floor of One Capital Center in downtown Boise.  The Peregrine Fund says the next box was placed there in 2003 and typically sees nesting every spring.

“The birds are currently in the midst of courtship,” said Connie Stanger, Curator of Birds at The Peregrine Fund’s World Center for Birds of Prey in a press release. Webcam followers can expect loud vocalizations as the male brings food to the female. Watch for the birds bowing to each other and scraping out a depression in the gravel at the bottom of the box where the eggs will be laid.”

Link to story: KBOI = Peregrine falcons return to downtown Boise

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ID / Boise - 2010 / ? & ?
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2010, 19:06 »
From the site:

26 May 2010

The fourth egg hatched just before 12:30 p.m.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ID / Boise - 2010 / ? & ?
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2010, 18:38 »
Three chicks have hatched at the Boise nest! From the site:

25 May 2010
Hatching has begun! Two chicks could be seen in the nest early this morning. The tiny birds are covered with white downy feathers. They are unable to regulate their body temperatures for up to two weeks, so they will stay under the adults for warmth. See our Facebook page for pictures of the chicks.

Update: A third chick hatched about 12:36 p.m.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
ID / Boise - 2010 / ? & ?
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2010, 13:40 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

I've been checking the Boise site, and the nest box was either empty or had one adult perched on the ledge.  Today one adult appears to be incubating, and an update confirms that the first egg has been laid.

Peregrine falcons have first egg on Boise high rise

BOISE --  A pair of peregrine falcons produced its first egg of the 2010 season today in a nest box in downtown Boise. Peregrine falcons typically lay three or four eggs. Biologists say If all goes well, chicks will hatch in about a month.

Peregrines have used the nest box on the 14th floor of the One Capital Center Building at 10th and Main streets to rear their offspring since 2003. The box is on a ledge that simulates the high-steep cliffs the falcons use in the wild.

Last year, a falcon pair produced four eggs at this site. Three eggs hatched and all the chicks fledged successfully. One died about a week later after being electrocuted on a power pole.

You can watch the new falcon family via a live streaming web camera. The project is a cooperative effort by The Peregrine Fund and the Idaho Department of Fish and Game, with camera and web hosting supplied by Fiberpipe.

http://www.ktvb.com/home/Peregrine-Falcon-chick-hatches-on-Boise-high-rise-91050429.html

http://www.peregrinefund.org/falconcam/

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: ID / Boise - 2009 / ? & ?
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2010, 12:34 »
Nuts, missed that entirely!!!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2009, 15:42 »
Finally found a report on what happened with Maggie (Madge-Ellen). It is so sad to lose her - poor little Maggie.  :'(

Personally, I still agree with naming the chicks, but I understand why some sites don't name them.

Now we know why wild animals - such as the Peregrine Falcon - should not be named. At 8:45am MDT this morning - 5 July 2009 - Kelly Moore, and his wife "Louie", and I were on Watch and were told that one of our peregrines was on the ground and probably dead at 4th and Front Streets. Kelly and I immediately left for the location and the information was correct. It appears that Maggie crossed a 5600 volt line with her right talon/foot and her left wing. She never moved from where she hit the ground. With a mortality rate of close to 75% for the first year, one can expect accidents of this type to occur. The Ground Watcher Volunteers for the Idaho Fish and Game have spent countless hours trying to protect these birds from accidents. Mostly we are successful. Sometimes we are not. "...And a golden thread was cut tonight." Maggie (MagEllen) was 49 days old.

http://retirementinidaho.blogspot.com/2009/07/maggie.html

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2009, 00:48 »
I am so sorry to read about the loss of Maggie - I hadn't seen this news anywhere. There is nothing on the site so far. I hope the other two will stay safe.

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2009, 16:30 »
sad news according to a commenter on the CBC site (Marnie1):

I have sad news to report about one of our Boise, ID fledges. We lost Maggie yesterday as she encountered a high-power line. It was said fortunately she didn't know what hit her. Our other two are doing really well!

we all know how hazardous the first days of flight are and the first year of life is, and it's selfish I know - but I really hope we don't have any news like this for P&T.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2009, 00:18 »
Another article on the Boise juvies, with a short video:

http://www.ktvb.com/news/nearyou/boise/ktvbn-jul0209-peregrine_falcons.7fb754.html

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2009, 00:04 »
An article on the Boise peregrine family today. It seems the two females have been named Columbia and Madge-Ellen, and the male is named Wall-E.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/boise/story/822250.html

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2009, 21:01 »
A pic of the male fledgling after his rescue. He was sprayed with water to deter him from trying to fly again immediately.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2009, 00:29 »
Fledging is going on at the Boise nest. I couldn't see any of the chicks on the ledge today. From the site:

Update: Friday, 26 June
One of the chicks decided to go for it this morning. The youngster took its first flight and landed safely on a building located directly across the street. Clumsy and awkward at first, fledglings must practice how to judge distance and speed and develop a sense for safe places on which to perch. This is risky business, in both wild and urban settings.

Saturday, 27 June
Fledging has gone well so far for the female chick, the first to leave the nest. She did hit the side of Hotel 43 yesterday but got herself safely to a window ledge. A dedicated group of bird watchers has been observing her every move. The first flight was a rough one for the male, however. He fledged last night and collided with a car. He was taken to a bird rehab facility where he was well cared for overnight. The chick appears to be in good shape but Fish and Game biologist Bruce Haak will keep him for observation tonight and return him to the nest tomorrow. Observers are still waiting for the third chick to take her first flight.