Author Topic: ID / Boise - 2009-17  (Read 5580 times)

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
Re: ID / Boise - 2009 / ? & ?
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 19:53 »
These Idaho birds must be related to Trey somehow - the nestkeeping is interesting!  You can see how the pebbles have been moved around to form a nice circle around the eggs/incubating parent.   8)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 18:29 »
Well TPC...if I lived in a high rise condo with a big balcony, I would gladly give it up to a nesting pair of falcons!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 22:26 »
heh.  so, in Canada they like smaller houses?  While the US birds are looking for excess space.

Depends on the location.  I would have a larger nestbox at the Radisson but can't pull it off, the physical location just doesn't allow for it.  There are a couple of locations in the City I'm hoping to add nestboxes to that would be perfect for boxes like the one here at Boise.  Having said that, some birds aren't fans for large boxes ... and some birds that do know what to do with a nestbox don't use them (sound familiar  ::))

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 20:01 »
I love this nestbox...I'm jealous for Princess and Trey!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 19:12 »
What a beautiful nest box!  Very spacious, lots of room for chicks to run back and forth  :-*

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 19:10 »
Today both parents were at the nest, and sat together for some time:

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 17:15 »
heh.  so, in Canada they like smaller houses?  While the US birds are looking for excess space?

I'm just saying...   ::)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 16:02 »
The Boise & Elk River nestboxes are a different (but the most common) design from the Radisson nestbox, ours is less box, more tray with a cover.  These boxes are very large - ours aren't.  They are also entirely enclosed, ours aren't - ours are only half-covered.  We used to use more open boxes but our birds don't seem to want to use them, they seem to prefer a) sky over their heads and b) smaller quarters.  I'm hoping to increase the size on some of the new boxes and hope that they will appeal to some of the newcomers.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 15:53 »
this looks like a good box and site. Man, I am supposed to be cutting  down  ;) ;)

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 13:13 »
It's also similar to Elk River.  But, since all are on slightly different schedules we can watch lots of hatching!  (Elk River and Boise are on very similar hatch watch dates, I bet, while P&T will be later).

I'm lucky as I have a big screen at work and can have them all up at once below my "work stuff" windows.  :D

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 13:10 »
This nest box reminds me of the nest on the west that our Falcons did not choose.  Once all these eggs hatch, I won't know which one to watch.  Of course Princess and Trey and their little ones will be the priority.

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
ID / Boise - 2009-17
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 11:16 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

http://www.peregrinefund.org/webcam2009.asp

I didn't see a Boise cam thread so this is a new one, I suppose!  They post daily stuff which  is nice.  These are on about the same calendar as P&T (which means there isn't much to see but a peregrine sitting on eggs, of course).

I had to go to the alternate site at the bottom of the page (http://www2.fiberpipe.net/falconcam/live.asp) to get it to work properly, but there is cool stuff on each page.   8)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:18 by Pchemist »