Author Topic: ID / South Bend - 2010-14  (Read 4267 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
ID / South Bend - 2014 / Zeus & ?
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 16:12 »
2014 NESTING SEASON

Second of South Bend's original peregrines dies
Erin Blasko / South Bend Tribune 23 Jan 2014

SOUTH BEND -- Guinevere, the city's resident female peregrine falcon and a familiar site downtown for more than a decade, has died, local raptor rehabilitator Carol Riewe reported Thursday.

"I got a phone call (Wednesday) from a gentleman here in town who had picked her body up on Monday," Riewe, one of a group of dedicated peregrine falcon watchers in the area, told The Tribune.  Riewe said it appeared the bird struck a sign somewhere along Prairie Avenue south of Sample Street. Her body was found lying in a snow bank along the side of the road, near the OmniSource recycling center.  She said the weather, in particular the snow and wind, may have played a factor.

"I think she got bumped when she was down," Riewe said. "She's got a couple of wounds on her back. I don't know, but it makes me wonder if a plow hit her when she was down and flung her up on the snow bank." Guinevere, who may have been as old as 14, was last seen downtown Friday, Riewe said, meaning she likely died sometime over the weekend.  She said the bird will be cremated, as her body is not in good enough condition to be preserved.

"I guess the only good thing about this is we know what happened to her," Riewe said. "The only thing that would have been worse is to have her not show up for days and weeks and not know what happened to her."  Peregrine falcons live an average of 6 to 8 years, according to the state Department of Natural Resources, though some may live as long as 20 years.

Guinevere arrived in South Bend in 2003. She produced 11 broods over the years, first with Zephyr, a banded male falcon born in captivity but released in Iowa in 1999, and then with Zeus, an unbanded male of unknown origin.  Zephyr died in June 2012 at age 13. Though no one can be sure, it is believed he struck a pole while hunting downtown. His body will be taxidermied for future display at Rum Village Nature Center.  Zeus arrived the following spring. He and Guinevere mated, producing one female chick, Zoey. The chick was banded in June of last year and later fled the nest. Her current whereabouts are not known.

Riewe described Guinevere as a devoted mother who evolved as a parent over the years, learning from trial and error how best to raise her chicks.  "Just from watching her, she was a very, very nurturing mother, very, very careful, very, very protective of her chicks," Riewe said. She also was a good teacher, she said, recalling one lesson in particular. "She had a starling in her feet, alive and squawking and carrying on, and behind her was one of her chicks. And then at the last minute she drops the starling, the deal being the kid has to come in and nab this bird.  She's actually teaching this kid how to hunt."

Describing the loss, Riewe compared it to that of a family member.  "We are going to miss her," she said. "She and Zephyr were our pioneer pair, they were the first birds to take our nesting box as their home, and I think they kind of worked their way into our hearts."  Riewe said it is too soon to know whether Zeus, who is believed to be much younger than Guinevere was, will hang around, but she's hopeful he will. Courting season begins next month.  "He's only been her a year, but still, he courted (Guinevere) and helped to raise one chick here, so he may have enough of a sense of belonging to stay here.  He has a territory," she said. "He just has to attract someone into this territory."

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ID / South Bend - 2013 / Zeus & Guinevere
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 20:56 »
One hatch here and they are calling the male Zeus.

Guinevere                                                                      Zeus

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 08:41 »
The camera is live now, here is a link to the windows media player popup window.

http://wms.southbendin.gov/falcam/falcam

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 10:20 »
Thanks Cooper.  Wouldn't it be cool if the new mate was a Manitoba falcon.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
ID / South Bend - 2013 / Zeus & Guinevere
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 09:40 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

Looks like Guinevere may have found a new mate.  :)
http://www.wsbt.com/news/sbt-guinevere-spotted-with-new-mate-20130228,0,2621549.story

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ID / South Bend - 2012 / Zephyr & Guinevere
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 22:17 »
Aw! This is very sad news about Zephyr. :'( He was such a trooper, hunting and providing for his mate & chick, with just one foot, after his accidental injury last year. I do hope that Guinevere will be able to continue to look after her fledgling alone, teaching it how to hunt and provide for itself.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 10:17 »
Three eggs!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 09:57 »
Second egg for Zephyr & Guinevere :)

Video - http://youtu.be/-mjaqbOlV_U

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:01 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 09:18 »
A better look this morning  EST

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 08:19 »
Guinevere laid an egg last evening between 10:15pm and 10:44pm EST.  :-*

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 22:18 »
Really?  News to me.  I want to see this, yet I don't.  Is there a link?  

Zephyr was released at a cliff on the Mississippi in Muscatine, Iowa, 1999.  He lost his right foot in the spring of 2011 in an apparent trap injury, so his hunting ability is diminished.  

Link for you irenekl - http://www.southbendin.gov/living/webcams/falcam.asp

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 21:14 »
Really?  News to me.  I want to see this, yet I don't.  Is there a link?

Offline nibs

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 18:56 »
K..forget it..apparently not new news...lol :P ::)

Offline nibs

• Phanatic
  • Chick
ID / South Bend - 2012 / Zephyr & Guinevere
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 18:54 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

I was just watching the South Bend camera and there is a falcon in the box that is missing its foot ! I thought I was seeing things!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ID / South Bend - 2011 / Zephyr & Guinevere
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 08:55 »
The kids are growing up.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 19:48 »
You sure do capture some amazing screen shots, rcf! 8)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 19:36 »
What a nice family portrait.  :-*

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 23:41 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 17:01 »
Three hatches now  :-* :-* :-*

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 17:19 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 16:49 »
That's amazing about Zephyr losing his left foot and still being capable of hunting and incubating along with Guinevere. Thanks for the link to the webcam, rcf. :-* Looks as if it's raining in South Bend too.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
ID / South Bend - 2011 / Zephyr & Guinevere
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 15:43 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

These two had four eggs, two have hatched.  

In the spring of 2011, Zephyr lost his left foot, most likely in a trap of some sort. He seems to be doing well. He is able to fly, has been seen bringing food to Guinevere, and is sharing incubation duties with her.

You can read more at BCAW = http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=915&start=60

Link to cam = http://www.southbendin.gov/falcam/

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ID / South Bend - 2010 / Zephyr & Guinevere
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 19:27 »
A third chick hatched this morning for Zephyr and Guinevere at the South Bend nest.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
ID / South Bend - 2010-14
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 20:04 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

I remember Zephyr and his mate Guinevere at this site years ago, but it is great news that they are still there.

Two falcon chicks hatch in downtown South Bend

SOUTH BEND — So far, two peregrine falcon chicks have hatched in the nest box on top of the County-City Building.

Carole Riewe, a retired naturalist and raptor rehabilitator, said two unhatched eggs are still in the nest today.  She’s not sure whether they will hatch. Sometimes, all the eggs don’t hatch. Riewe said one of the chicks hatched Thursday, and one hatched Friday.

A nest box was first erected in downtown South Bend, on the Tower Building, in 1993. In 2003, Guinevere and Zephyr first used it to hatch and raise their chicks. They have been here since, spending the winter near the nest box. The young falcons leave by fall.

Riewe said there were only two chicks in 2008. Other years, there have been three or four. The retired naturalist doesn’t like for there to be only two chicks.

"If something happens to one, there’s nobody (for the surviving falcon) to play chase with," she said. 

Riewe asked people who are able to access the Internet site connected to a camera in the nest to not leave the site open.  "Look, click off and come back later," she asked. "Don’t let it run."

Only a limited number of people can access the site at one time. Riewe explained that several people, including herself, need to be able to enter the site for scientific purposes.  Riewe had released the website address earlier but asked that it not be released again because too many people have been leaving the site open on their computers.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20100517/News01/100519506/-1/googleNews

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 21:07 by The Peregrine Chick »