Author Topic: ON / Toronto - Sheraton Centre - 2008-20  (Read 9077 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Toronto - Sheraton Centre - 2020 / Stormin & Chaos
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2020, 20:20 »
2020 NESTING SEASON

No cam here this year but Stormin (positively ID'd at the banding & Chaos (unbanded) have 4 healthy babies that were banded today!

From CPF FB:

Two bandings today - this morning was at Toronto /Sheraton Centre...

Welcome Timbit(male, 615g, 26 days old, banded 02/AW, Blue tape), Vimny(male, 630g, 26 days old, banded 05/AW, white tape), Epione(female, 875g, 25 days old, banded Z/37, Red tape) and Marriott(male, 610g, 26 days old, banded 06/AW, yellow tape)!

Congrats to Mum(unbanded) and Dad... Stormin! Yes, Toronto's long time resident, is calling Sheraton home this year, and he's looking good too🙂. A very cute, fiesty bunch of chicks and a fierce couple of parents here. We would like to thank all involved to help accommodate "our special needs" during this unusual times of social distancing.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Ontario / Toronto - Sheraton Centre - 2008-19
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2019, 13:01 »
September 12, 2019

Juvie Quinn is in rehab:

Marion Nash Reports:

On August 20th, Rochester Animal services picked up a young peregrine falcon and brought it to a local vet/rehabilitator. The rehab facility has contacted me and provided me with the auxiliary band number (Black Band D/62). They tried to report the band, but have not received a response, but based on the information on your site, I believe this may be one of the young from the Sheraton Centre (Quinn).

Based on the X-rays, there didn’t appear to be any broken bones, just some bruising. The falcon seems to be doing very well, both eating and flying. It is being transferred to a facility with a larger flight facility so that it can strengthen its flight and be tested for release. If all goes well, it should be released relatively soon. I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
Jenny

Jenny Landry
Wildlife Biologist, Division of Fish and Wildlife

Hoping for a quick and complete recovery for Quinn. It's interesting that he was found in the area where his ancestors were from.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2019, 22:02 »
One of the juvies visited the nest on July 20:

A parent stopped by briefly:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2019, 13:21 »
Quinn and Bonvoy have both fledged:

June 25, 2019 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre

Marion Nash Reports:

if the nest ledge looks empty to you on the camera that’s because it is! Both Bonvoy and Quinn have fledged. Bruce has been watching Bonvoy all day and he has been an exceptionally high flier. He has been going from the roof of the hotel, across the street to the Hilton and back again. His choices have been excellent, his recoveries amazing and overall he has done very very well. Quinn took his flight later this evening and he has stayed high as well! He flew over to the roof of the Hilton where he made a decent enough landing. Bruce was joined by Linda and the two continued to watch the young ones as they navigated their new environment. According to Bruce, Bonvoy is all but a checkmark and Quinn will need to be watched for another day or so to be certain that he stays high.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2019, 12:39 »
This morning, Quinn back at the nest:

Two birds visible:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2019, 12:29 »
From the Canadian Peregrine Association

Quinn down reported by good citizen

June 24, 2019 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre

Marion Nash Reports:

I got an email today that one of the falcon chicks had come down between York St and University Ave on Adelaide street (next to the Hilton, pool level). I contacted Bruce who was out pounding the pavement looking for him. The information helped him locate Quinn who was uninjured and Bruce was able to rescue him. Great job as always Bruce and a big thanks to Lucas who sent us the email report of a falcon down and for taking the photos below.

Release back to ledge tonight stay tuned for that story and more photos.

Marion

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2019, 14:52 »
June 23

Still two chicks in view.

June 24

Second pic below:

Only one chick visible. One may have fledged.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2019, 10:26 »
Bonvoy was rescued and returned to the ledge after dark last night.  :-* :-*

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2019, 23:46 »
Quinn on the ledge June 16:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2019, 23:30 »
But also on June 16, good news:

Happy to retract my last post He’s ALIVE!

June 16, 2019 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre

Marion Nash Reports:

Just got a report from Bruce and I am glad and astounded .

Bonvoy (confirmed blue tape) survived his fall! He is sitting on a ledge on the Four Seasons for Performing Arts about 40 feet up running the ledge. Not ready to fly yet but he has a full crop so mom knows where he is and is looking after him. He has areas he can duck under to get out of rain and take shelter so he is safe at this point.

He is running back and forth on the ledge and looks fine, lots of energy. We are just waiting to see if he does some wing flapping now to confirm the wings are ok but he has loads of energy and assume he is just fine.

Tracy is going to drop by and have a look as well and take a couple photos so stay tuned for those and further updates.

Thanks so much Bruce !!![/]

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2019, 23:21 »
I had been seeing only one of the chicks for a few days.

June 16, 2019 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre

Marion Nash Reports:

Sad news to report!

Looks like we lost one of the chicks. Since the early afternoon of the 14th there has only been 1 chick seen on the ledge. Linda has been out twice to have a look and see if the chick was indeed gone from the ledge and it there was a body on the ground but no luck. We suspect the chick was wither blown off in the awful winds we have had or was grabbed by a hawk while mom was out hunting, with only one parent attending the nest this is also quite possible. Since the chick was still so young and did not have the flight feathers in yet a fall from the ledge would not be survivable and who know how far the wind would have blown it as it fell.

Pics of the remaining chick from June 15:

One of the parents, left, and a parent incoming, right:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2019, 20:30 »
Not sure what happened but somehow double posted.  ???  So I just deleted the second one.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 20:40 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2019, 20:11 »
They banded here today:

BANDING - Sheraton Centre, June 4

Two boys for this site which has an unbanded adult female and the adult male is thought to be STORMIN.

Welcome BONVOY (C/59, blue band, 580g, 21 days old) and QUINN (D/62, red band, 590g, 22 days old)
Both names are meaningful to this site as Bonvoy is the name of Marriott's new loyalty program, and Quinn is named after Quinn's Steakhouse and Grill in the hotel.

We wish our boys safe and successful fledges ❤️
Cheers, Lucie 🙂
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 20:29 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2019, 09:35 »
Four eggs laid this year.  First egg hatched yesterday morning around 11.00 am and early this morning so now we have 2 babies.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2018, 19:34 »
Early this year, we noticed that Rhea Mae and Tiago had not been seen on cam since last November 2017.  A new female started showing up on camera and it was noted that she was trying to entice a male to the ledge.  The female was unbanded and she was named 'Chaos' by the watchers there.  Eventually after a few weeks the male showed up on the ledge and was ID'd as Stormin - son of Rhea and Tiago and the resident male from the King St location.  It should also be noted that this female looked like the one that took over King St from Erin back in December.

Perhaps she like the fact that this site had a nest tray?  Who knows but they went on to nest here and had 3 boys.  Two did not survive the fledge period and the lone surviving male named Geoff is so far doing fine and has made it back to the ledge several times.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 21:10 by carly »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2015, 13:01 »
The resident female at this nest is Rhea Mae, a daughter of the great Mariah and Kaver of Rochester, New York. She was born in 2006.

The resident male is Tiago, who took over this nest some years ago from his father, the legendary Windwhistler.

Rhea Mae and Tiago have their first chick.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/Web_Cams/TorontoSheraton/index.htm

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2015, 09:44 »
Toronto Sheraton juvenile - (named Trout) - Solid Black band W over 79 with Yellow Tape has been sighted in Florida USA on December 12th - 2014

More info and photos at this link

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/toronto-sheraton-centre/

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2014, 05:52 »
2014 NESTING SEASON

Tiago and Rhea Mae are still here and have two hatches so far as of last night.  The babies and eggs are out of cam view so it's been a challenge to see anyting.

Offline SusanE

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2012, 07:44 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

First hatch this morning, shortly before 8 a.m.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2011, 12:17 »
June

June 2 - The night shift, - and still on guard duty!
A rare moment at midnight, one of the resident adults stands on guard on the nest ledge.

June 3 - Lots of activity on the nest ledge these days! The kids are in the house!!
I caught this picture of the eldest female (can’t quite tell between green & blue tape on cam) showing off her wings this morning. Aren’t they just magnificent!

June 5 - What do you think that big open space is?
I managed to snap this shot via the web cam at 5 pm. French time.  My, how they have grown.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2011, 12:16 »
May

May 3 - Two hatchlings!! Actual hatch date May 1st or May 2nd!!! - actual hatch date of the first chick is May 1st!!  As we suspected, and now confirmed after a detailed look at the photos yesterday from Eileen & Edna of the single hatchling that they captured in their photos, it was obvious that the hatchling pictured was in fact older than a day old. The hatchling was photographed with it neck and head being held completely upright with mouth wide open. This is not a day old hatchling!!  Day old hatchlings are not able to hold their heads up in this position for any length of time!  As such, it is believed that the FIRST TORONTO HATCHLING was actually hatched on May 1st or May 2nd!  The crappy cold rainy blustery weather over the past week has had ALL of the resident females hunkered down tight on the nest trays and as such, has made any detailed observations very challenging.  Now, with the addition of Carol’s additional photos and observations of a second hatchling later in the same day, this would confirm our suspensions and support our conclusion that the first chick did in fact hatch a day or two earlier (May 1st or May 2nd).

May 4 - And now there are THREE!!!
The updates are coming in fast and furious!!! Moments ago we just received a recent update with a great photo of “THREE” hatchlings as of today!!  Again, a huge thank you to Eileen for sending in this update and new snapshot taken from the new CPF colour web camera.  Its peregrine season!!!!!!!

May 5 - And now there is four!!
Tiago just brought in some supper and there are definitely 4 eyases! One is clearly much younger, but quite active, though Rhea Mae had to move it back into the pile before brooding them.  Just finishing Dinner - A quick check of the Sheraton Web Cam caught this image of the young ones just finishing a meal.  I think today would be their first experience of sunshine. Beautiful day to be out watching the birds.

May 6 - Feeding time for the fab four!
Just received an update from Zoe and a good picture of the four young hatchlings being fed some lunch. Great shot indeed!  Thanks Zoe!

May 12 - Afternoon Snack?
I was fortunate enough to catch this lovely moment via the web cam (from France).  The four young ones look very alert.

May 13 - The Fab Four morning feed
I arrived in time for the first time to see a feed. I quickly grabbed my camera and crossed my fingers that equipment was not obstructing my camera view. WONDERFUL! I also captured some live video. So sweet, but I don’t know what is causing them to look toward the wall. Perhaps the shadow of Tiago flying past the nest ledge. Late this afternoon I checked the web cam and a split second I caught the second image. The little one looking directly at the camera. Hmmm, I wonder if they know we are watching.

May 15 - Toooo big - and Toooo Small!!
Captured some great shots moments ago with Tiago very confused and frustrated while he is trying to figure out how he can cover and brood his hatchlings from the fowl weather conditions today,, with high gusty winds, cold temps, and more rain!!  Seconds later, RM also attended (see in the top left part of the photo) to give him some instructions and direction as to how its to be done. Still, the hatchlings are just to big to actually cover them all at this age, so the best plan of action is to try and shelter them from the cold blowing winds and driving rain. Toronto’s weather today is terrible, with unreasonably cold damp conditions, driving rain and blustery winds!

May 24 - A different view of the banding - knowing that the banding for the four Toronto Sheraton peregrines was set for this morning, I logged in from France at about 4:15 our time (10:15 Toronto time).  Shortly after I logged in, I saw the first of the chicks being removed from the nest box.  I was so enthralled by the view, I wasn’t smart enough to capture the picture!  I stayed “live” for the duration and managed to get some interesting ledge shots,  particularly of one somewhat ticked off parent.  I hope you enjoy them.  Thanks to Wendy Rickey at Osler for providing me with the banding info.

May 29 - They are very mobile and lots of ledge to explore!
They eyases had a late supper today on the far end of the ledge. My favorite capture is Cinnamon heading for bed with a FULL crop!

May 30 - Breakfast on Monday
Little Cinnamon looks as though he is making sure he gets his share.  Snapped via the web cam at 1:50 p.m. France time.

source: CPF Toronto Sheraton Centre

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2011, 11:53 »
April

April 1 - Is this an April 1 trick?
Around noon, the adult finally stood up from the eggs.  Unfortunately, the reflecting glare was on the camera so I cannot be sure that we have egg four.  I cannot say for sure there is a shape to the far side of the visible three, but it is 48 hours since number three arrived.  Hope springs eternal.  Mid-afternoon break - The adult took a break off the eggs at 3:30 and it seems there are still only three.

April 2 - NOW there are four
As the adult took a break at 11:35 Toronto time, I managed to snap this photo via the web.

April 3 - Still four
I have been checking the web cam throughout the day and finally at around 11:35 Toronto time, the adult had left the nest box.  Very clear photo of the four eggs.  Perhaps a fifth tomorrow?

April 04 - Change-over at the nest box
Watching the web cam at 1:55 Toronto time, I spotted a change-over at the nest box.  Sadly, I was too slow on the draw to snap a photograph.  I wonder, then, if this implies we are now in to incubation and there will be no fifth egg.  Just a question…

April 17 - Holding Tight
Rhea Mae and Tiago are holding tight to the eggs the past two days, due to the weather. High winds and rain yesterday, had them move the eggs closer to the camera and out my live view. Today more rain,snow showers and just plain cold. They weren’t moving for anything. Hopefully tomorrow with sunshine we’ll get a better view.

April 24 - Easter Eggs
A quick stop at the Sheraton, and Rhea Mae and Tiago gave me only a brief look at the eggs. They are holding tight to the nest. Expect a hatch early May.

April 25 - Almost there, almost! Camaras and computers
Working feverishly over the last couple of days while refocused back on the CPF web cams, it seem that we get one step forward and fall two steps behind. We have been working behind the scenes at several of the nest sites on both the computer systems and cameras in an effort get them all up and running before a hatch, so please bear with us. Plagued with internet service disruptions, broken connections, a new camera install, and two crashed computers to deal with along with all of the usual “now what the heck is going on”, we are still working behind the scenes to get them back on line. You know what they say, when it rains, it pours!! Well, it pouring!!!  As you all know, we are usually stressed at the best of times given our typical financial shortfalls to deal with the surprises with the equipment, and it’s always a hurry up and wait for donations and contributions to come in to assist us with these expensive and time consuming equipmant challenges. In the interim, we are getting some great nest site observations with LOTS of activity, and we are watching very closely to keep you updated.

April 30 - Sheraton Hatch?
Yesterday Zoe, captured an image from the web cam with evidence that we may have had a hatch. Small fluffs of down can be seen in the image. I visited the nest site this morning with a quick look through the view port. Only a few fluffs of down remain, and what appears to be small fragments of egg shell. Keep checking the web camera and perhaps someone will witness food come to the nest tray.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2011, 11:40 »
March

March 1 - Territorial activity is heating up!
A quick update with a report of our activities yesterday- (March 2nd), when the CPF head office received a call from the Solar Window washing team of a downed peregrine on the roof of 144 Front St. west here in Toronto, that had been injured after colliding with a building across the street. Mark was dispatched to meet with the building management and one of he staff from Solar who quickly got him to the roof inspect the injured raptor. Upon his arrival, the raptor was quickly identified as an adult male Sharpe-shinned hawk that was actually hiding on the flat top roof of the building under some large cables in the south east corner below the roof retaining wall. Further investigation of the happening, it appears that the male Sharpie may have been pursued by one of the territorial adult peregrines (likely from the Toronto Sheraton Centre nest) and driven into the building face in an effort to escape from the peregrine(s).

The Sharpie was then able to make it to the roof top across the street at 144 Front Street, and was laterally grounded (and hiding) from the adult female peregrine who was perched on another roof top two buildings over,, (obviously on guard). An effort was made to capture up the Sharpie to examine the poor bird for any injuries, but we are happy to report that as we approached the Sharpie, it quickly ran across the roof top to the north side and quickly took flight up and over the roof retaining wall. The Sharpie then dove down to almost the street level where it quickly flew north west with a very strong flight until it was out of our roof top view. The Sharpie flew in the opposite direction and behind another building obviously in an effort to conceal its escape from both us and the adult peregrine that was still steadfast on the watch on another roof top.  Fortunately the peregrine missed the Sharpie’s escape and there were no further incidents to report. Sadly we were unable to identify the identity of the adult female peregrine as we did not have binoculars at hand.

March 13 - Back on the ledge! It’s getting close to egg production!
I just spotted 2 Pefas’ on the Sheraton nest ledge this evening, although it’s quite dark and impossible to be sure it’s Rhea Mae & Tiago, I did manage to capture a few shots from the nesst cam. The season is upon us!
Photos captured Sunday evening at approx. 6:30pm.

March 23 - A First Egg?
Can’t be too sure at this time until I get a visual confirmation, but the activity at the Sheraton nest tray is indicating we are close to a first egg.  Last evening I checked the camera before the snow fall. One adult was in the tray and then sitting on the edge of the tray.  This morning a bird was lying down in the nest tray with all the snow around. Around 9:30 the bird moved and was seen sitting on the far end of the nesting ledge, sitting on the other camera frame. She later returned to lay down in the nest tray. She has returned this evening. I captured one shot late this afternoon / early evening and I can’t see an egg in the tray, but the adult peregrine has returned to the tray. Could she be keeping the nest warm with anticipation of the first egg? Please see pictures captured from the tray camera. Please be aware with the spring time change the clock on the camera did not adjust for the spring time  change.  More news tomorrow when I make the trip to the viewing port. Hopefully I’ll have coloured pictures to show as well.

March 24 - No Eggs yet
No eggs yet at the Sheraton Toronto. When I visited this morning, both adults were not in my view. But they did leave foot prints in the snow. The play of light on the snow, leaves a smiley face.

March 26 - First Egg Toronto Sheraton
A wonderful surprise this morning when the first egg for the 2011 Sheraton Centre was discovered. Tiago held tight to the nest tray and after about an hour waiting he finally got up and revealed the first egg of the nesting season.  Rhea Mae flew to the ledge but did not come to the tray while I was there.  Expect the second egg Monday or Tuesday.

March 28 - EGG # 2!
Many Thanks to Jan, in France , who happened to be watching the webcam at the perfect time to see the second egg. She captured the image from the webcam and sent it to CPF.  THANKS JAN! Sure helps when we have eagles eyes on another continent watching the cameras.

March 30 - And then there were 3!
I kept my laptop on the coffee table while I went about my business for the last two hours and it finally paid off.  Almost exactly at the same time as two days ago, the adult stood off the nest box, and there were three eggs beautifully displayed.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2011, 11:34 »
February

February 13 - Both Adults in the area
A quick spot check on the 3 downtown nesting locations, had both adults on site.
Today, both adults were sitting on the east side of 120 Adelaide St, across the street from the Sheraton Centre Hotel.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:40 by The Peregrine Chick »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2011, 11:28 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

Our very busy TO forum member Loriann is keeping us updated on this site this year.

Thanks Loriann!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:31 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2010, 12:33 »
I really like those names! :D Do you know how they chose the names, carly?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2010, 12:31 »
Sheraton banding happened this morning - and we have 3 boys, Scribe-star, Lorenzo, and Legacy!

Mariah has three new grandsons! 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2010, 17:37 »
The chicks being fed:

A pile of chicks:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2010, 19:06 »
The three chicks today, looking well fed and growing fast:

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2010, 16:50 »
Very nice looking bird ...

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2010, 16:49 »
Two more great photos from Linda Woods:

And the chicks today:

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2010, 22:35 »
Amazing photos!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2010, 19:44 »
Absolutely remarkable photos! :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2010, 19:34 »

This last photo has very striking elements, Alison.
Fluffy chicks, a raptor's eye, and a bloody meal in the middle.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2010, 18:10 »
Two great photos by Linda Woods of Rhea Mae and Tiago's three chicks:

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2010, 23:25 »
The sun is getting higher in the sky quickly, hopefully that will help reduce the glare before all the real fun begins here!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2010, 14:31 »
The cams are working again, but the lighting makes it difficult to see.

These are not good pics, but they are the first ones I have been able to capture of the chicks:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2010, 16:31 »
Arrrgg..can't believe I missed this!  Between worrying over Red girl, trying to get work done and running outside to see what's going on at my site...I missed it!

Thanks Alison!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2010, 15:26 »
The cams have been down, but great news from the site today:

!!! First Hatch, one and two!!
April 30, 2010 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre

Linda Woods Reports:

Back to the Sheraton this morning to try and resolve the camera problem. A quick peek into the nest ledge and there I saw two parts of an egg and Rhea Mae munching on another half of shell.  Darn it! I didn’t  have my pocket camera with me, so photos will have to wait until this week-end.  I expect the other two eggs to hatch this weekend.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2010, 12:12 »
 :-* :-*

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2010, 12:00 »
Just read this on the CPF site. What great news about Stormin! It's always a great moment when a juvie from the previous year is sighted.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2010, 05:06 »
Offspring from last year still in the city  :-* :D

!!! Stormin Spotted Not Far From Home
April 18, 2010 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
Frank Butson Reports:
Thanks to an email from my friend Leslie Kinrys,I was alerted to a posting on the Tommy Thompson Park (Leslie Street Spit)banding station blog which reported seeing a banded Peregrine Falcon for most of one day perched in a tree,near their banding station. This sighting took place sometime between April 7th and April 13th.  The band number was clearly seen and photographed(a photo may be added later) which was black over black,30/Y. CPF was quickly able to provide the identity of this bird. The Peregrine was named Stormin,who was banded in Toronto at The Sheraton Centre  Hotel on May 28th 2009. It’s great to hear back about one of the Peregrines which CPF  helped band and is most rewarding for the volunteers who helped take care of the Peregrines during fledging time and the staff at the Sheraton Centre Hotel itself,who are such good stewards of their Peregrine family.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2010, 18:14 »
Linda Woods Reports:
Tiago and Rhea Mae now have 4 Eggs. The image is difficult to see for most of the day, except for those early birds that are up before the crack of dawn.  But, just by chance I clicked on the Toronto Sheraton Camera and finally , Luck, 4 eggs sitting in the tray. Now that’s enough Rhea Mae, start incubating!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2010, 16:32 »
3 eggs for Sheraton!

Linda Woods Reports:
An extended visit to the Sheraton nest ledge confirmed the band numbers of the adults, Black on Black, 29 over H, for Tiago and  Black on Red, P over T, for Rhea Mae.

And long after my camera battery gave out on the “stand-by” mode, Tiago finally moved off the eggs to reveal 3 eggs. Rhea Mae was quick to return to her time incubating. Tiago didn’t waste anytime leaving the nest ledge. Just like his dad.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2010, 14:24 »
Egg #2 at the Sheraton this morning, thanks to Beth for alerting me.  I've been so distracted my site that I forgot to check.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2010, 09:49 »
Here we go!!   ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2010, 06:57 »
First egg reported here by the Imprints folks this morning!  ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2010, 20:47 »
An update on the Sheraton and Mount Sinai nests today:

Jan Chudy Reports:

Firstly, I apologize for the delay in this posting.  I did try a couple of weeks ago but my report went in to the ether!  Since mid-December I have frequently seen two adults on either the south Mount Sinai ledges or the east ledges.  Frequently, I had at the same time one adult on the Sheraton ledge - not enough definitive proof to say we have two full sites between the Sheraton and Mount Sinai.  Then, the big break - on January 12, two adults were on the south Mount Sinai ledges and two adults were on the Sheraton nest ledge.  Since then, I have had this view several times.  More recently, On January 29, all four were in view - two on the south Mount Sinai ledges and two on the Sheraton ledge.  Today, February 11 at 10:15, all four adults are in view again - two on the south Mount Sinai louvers and two on the Sheraton ledge.

Today one adult visited the Sheraton nest:

On the standpipe:

He/she stayed until it was almost dark:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2010, 17:19 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

Both falcons were at the nest this afternoon:

One of them left:

Then both were gone.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2009, 14:55 »
Thanks Lori  :-*  March seems like such a long time away for the return of ours. :'(

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2009, 14:47 »
An Early Christmas Present at the Sheraton!
December 23, 2009 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
Jan Chudy Reports:
Both adults spent a great part of the day together either on the nest ledge or around the area.  It was heart-warming to see them together.  As I write this shortly after noon on Christmas Eve, they are both together again.  One in the nest box and one on a nearby ledge.

Merry Christmas, Everyone.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2009, 19:25 »
I found both Rhea Mae and Tiago at the nest today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2009, 20:31 »
One adult at the nest tray this afternoon - Rhea Mae?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2009, 18:40 »
Someone was on the standpipe for a while this afternoon. From the size, perhaps Rhea Mae:

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2009, 00:43 »
I love the story of Liberty "on the chaise lounge without a towel"!  ;) (LOL) All kidding aside, I'm glad to hear that she's okay! :P

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2009, 19:46 »
I can't tell if this is Rhea Mae or Tiago:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2009, 18:47 »
One of the adults was at the Sheraton nest today. I thought at first they were both there, then I realized the other cam was stuck - the falcon didn't move.

I'm not sure, but I think this looks like Tiago:

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2009, 00:23 »
ooh, I love the phrase "in a good hissy mood."

I've been there.   8)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 23:35 »
I don't know why this thread is so far behind.

From the CPF site this evening:

First Rescue and Release

June 17, 2009 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre

Linda Woods Reports:

A Great Big THANK -YOU to the Sheraton Centre Hotel Pool Staff person  and Security Staff for assisting  in the recovery of ”Liberty”.

Liberty, confirmed by her leg bands, was found in the pool area on one of the chaise lounges without a towel.  Pool personal notified hotel security of this fashion faux pas. Security came to the rescue and safely secured the area and gently placed the 47day old female into the animal carrier.

Liberty took her first flight yesterday morning at 09:15 hours and appeared to be doing very well. Jan had good view of her as she took off and was very pleased of how well she flew.  Today, Harry, Jan, Marion and Bruce could only confirm that we had a count of three juvies throughout the day.

With the constant rain that moved into the area, it was difficult to see the juveniles on the tall structures and the watch was closed for the day. Three were confirmed in view at that time. Hopefully this will be the fourth.

On examination, by Bruce and myself, Liberty was found to be free of any signs of trauma and was in a good hissy mood.

She was returned to the nest ledge at around 22:00 hours and quickly settled in the dark.

Canadian Peregrine Foundation, and the dedicated group of peregrine followers from Rochester, New York ( who named Liberty ) would like to thank the hotel staff for the bird’s safe recovery.

Kudo’s for a job well done. Thanks. Thanks Bruce for coming all the way back to release her.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2009, 19:47 »
Carly....Carly......................Car ly!  Thank you, thank you , thank you!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2009, 18:53 »
And an update on the Sheraton from Linda on Mariah's grandchildren:

All four of Rhea Mae and Tiago’s brood are doing well.  Early this morning I observed the chicks to be very alert and busy preening.  One even explored the nest tray making it’s way to the other side of the tray next to the web camera. It tugged at Rhea’s tail feathers at which time Rhea turned and discovered the little one preening her tail feathers.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2009, 21:21 »
WOO HOO!!!   So wonderful!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2009, 21:02 »
I think all the eggs have hatched for Rhea Mae and Tiago. It is difficult to see on this cam.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2009, 18:45 »
It's so hard to tell because the way this cam is set up...with hopes, it's four!!!

Gotta love this nest though...look at all that space for the young to explore!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2009, 18:28 »
Watching Rhea Mae feed her little ones right now, only see 3 heads so far....wait..is that a fourth little head I see  ??? ???  gah i hate this cam...so hard to tell what you see here...good lighting for them though as it's dim and not glaring.  Will have to for Linda to sneak up there and get pictures...she's the only one brave enough to stand up to the 'Mariah' glare  ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 18:39 by carly »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2009, 19:37 »
YAY!!!!  More falcons...more and more and more.  I just have this eeling it's going to be a great year for falcons! 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2009, 09:53 »
And then there were three  :D

Linda Woods Reports:
Finally, I was able to capture Rhea Mae feeding her 3 little ones.

The fourth egg has cracks in it and I expect it to hatch over night at the earliest.

After the feed, Rhea Mae flew off with the “bones”  and Tiago was more than eager to come in and pick at the leftovers before settling down on the 3 hatchlings.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2009, 07:20 »
Two babies so far this morning for Rhea Mae  :D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2009, 11:50 »
Woo hoo!!

Congratulations Rhea Mae & Tiago!

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2009, 06:57 »
Great news  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2009, 06:40 »
Just saw Rhea Mae get up off the eggs and there is one little ball of white fluff there!!  Congratulations Rhea Mae and Tiago!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2009, 06:18 »
Linda is thinking she might have a hatch down here this morning:

Linda Woods Reports:
Looking at the webcam very early this morning 6:00 am, and  I think we have a hatch. Debris beside Rhea Mae, where in last evening photo, the nest tray was very clean

Mariah is grandmama here  ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 06:24 by carly »

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 20:52 »
Interesting, TPC! 
75% of my injured/dead peregrine calls in Winnipeg (90-95% in downtown) are pigeons ... in the suburbs I get more raptor calls but very rarely is it a peregrine ...
Just my two cents

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 20:06 »
Last year someone reported a falcon down at our site and it was a red tailed hawk. But you check them all out just in case.

When I saw Cassie last year after she fledged the first time, remember when they took me up to the roof, I was just amazed at how big she really was and how beautiful. You just do not see all that on a cam. 

I try to tell people that the cam sometimes distorts the size, also. sometimes RAdisson looks huge and at other times she looks quite tiny.

Hopefully things settle down there soon.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 19:24 »
Your two cents if probably worth gold TPC and you are probably right.  When Falon the Falcon was here the other day, people in our building that came down were shocked at how large she was.  They see them on the cams but don't realize the size of them..they assume they are pigeon size and in fact several people looked at Falon and then up at the cam and seemed incredulous because on the cams they do look smaller -  kind of like the first time you see an eyases in person..I know I was shocked at how big the little buggers really are  ;D.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 19:16 »
75% of my injured/dead peregrine calls in Winnipeg (90-95% in downtown) are pigeons ... in the suburbs I get more raptor calls but very rarely is it a peregrine ...

Just my two cents

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 19:13 »
Well sometimes people think they see a PF but then it turns out to be something else.  Franks says half the time people mistake red tail hawks for PF's and they go running down there with their hearts in their throats thinking it's one of ours and ends up not being...not that I'm saying I'm happy it's a red tail either but you know what I mean.

Unless they do find a body, we will never know.  It may have been a bird that crashed into the building..that area is skyscraper land...full of glass buildings.  I think we are all a bit on edge because there have been so many territorial fights this spring.  Great to the PF's thriving..but we need more homes for them  :P

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 19:08 »
Now the next thing is who was it they saw,and were is it now?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 18:50 »
Yes this is Mariah's daughters site..Rhea Mae and Tiago and now we can confirm they are just fine!  Worried for nothing..hehe! 

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 18:44 »
Oh thank you so much kittenface.  I missed seeing 2 on the refresh.  I will email Frank right away and let them know.  I'd hug you right now if I could!!!
Glad everything is ok now like Bev said go get a glass of wine now

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 18:38 »
Oh thank you so much kittenface.  I missed seeing 2 on the refresh.  I will email Frank right away and let them know.  I'd hug you right now if I could!!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 18:34 »
Great catch kitten face :-* :-* :-*

I think I will be more diligent here now with all the disputes happening.
Breathe now CArly, and have a drink of wine

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 18:31 »
Got them ;D
Oh Kittenface. How wonderful  ;D  Thank you.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 18:28 »
Got them ;D

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 17:46 »
Oh Carly  : Isn't this Tiago and Rhea Mea's site ( Mariah's daugter)?  I really hope that nothing has happened to them. I understand that there are 5 eggs this year (shades of mama Mariah).   I watched for a little while this afternoon but it doesn't refresh properly for me. Hoping for good news here.  :-\

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 17:44 »
I am watching Carly. sorry, I saw the post jsut a bit ago.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 15:19 »
Well, got nothing better to do at the moment :) 

::)  Geez, I'll tell Trey & Princess to hurry up and bake their buns at our next committee meeting  ;D

lol, how about they work on the eggs, and I'll take care of the other cooking for the event?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 15:11 »

::)  Geez, I'll tell Trey & Princess to hurry up and bake their buns at our next committee meeting  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 14:53 »
Thanks, me too  ;) 

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 14:50 »
Still watching Carly

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 14:49 »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 14:48 »
Someone reported a downed falcon near the location, when  staff arrived no body was found.  It came from a reliable source they said - in otherwords someone that can tell the difference between a pigeon and a falcon.  The supposed body was between this site and King ST - both adults have been confirmed at King St and now we are just looking to see 2 adults here. I was asked to monitor and ask my phanatic friends if they also observed anything.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 14:39 »
Nothing, that's it.  That's one of the birds incubating on the nest-tray they have located there ...
Like watching paint dry alot of the time  :D

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 14:31 »
On the right image there seems to be a bird in the bottom corner.
What else should I be looking for?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 14:27 »
I try to make sure all the links have their own thread so its easy to find them without having to scroll through individual threads (topics) to find where they have been posted ...

Please let me know if the links are missing or if the link has been broken .... thanks!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 14:05 »
http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/toronto-sheraton-centre/

Click on webcam on the right hand side, I'm watching too to see if I can catch a shift change. 

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 14:02 »
What's the link Carly? I'll go there right away.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 13:43 »
If anyone watches the Sheraton site, can you please let me know if you see both adults today please.  It is important.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 17:14 »
They've started doing some updates to the CPF web site and the first update is about Tiago and the eggs  :D

It's a work in progress but at least it is now in progress  :P

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 09:39 »
Four eggs for Mariah's progeny!!  Let the incubation begin!! ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 09:50 »
Awesome!! Mariah's spirit lives on!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 09:48 »
I just caught a shift change. Three eggs for Rhea Mae and Tiago!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 07:34 »
One of the Sheraton cams is now live. Rhea Mae (I think) on the eggs:

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 18:58 »
Second egg for Rhea Mae and Tiago!!

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/kfalconcam/message/95892

48 hours between eggs 1 and 2 - right on schedule  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 18:11 »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 19:59 »
It is Rhea Mae for sure; photo included in the post ..yay! 

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/kfalconcam/message/95750

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 07:30 »
Lol...can you imagine  :P ::)[/quote]

oh I can imagine all right, just waiting for one of your neighbors to post pictures.. lol   :o

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 06:48 »
And Toronto gets the first egg!  Carly, perhaps the flowing robes were doing double duty.  Not just a dance for an end to winter, but fertility rites were also being performed.

Lol...can you imagine  :P ::)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 23:45 »
And Toronto gets the first egg!  Carly, perhaps the flowing robes were doing double duty.  Not just a dance for an end to winter, but fertility rites were also being performed.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 22:54 »
That's wonderful news! Apparently it isn't completely verified yet that Rhea Mae and Tiago are still the pair at the Sheraton, but it is believed they are. I think this is the first Canadian egg this year.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 21:22 »
Great news!   :) :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 18:20 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

Apparently Rhea Mae and Tiago have their first egg, Linda sent a note and photo to one of the girls that posts on the Rochester board.  (Rhea Mae is one of Mariah and Kaver's girls for those who didn't know).

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/kfalconcam/message/95715

Can't wait til the cams come up!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
ON / Toronto - Sheraton Centre - 2008-20
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 18:48 »
2008 NESTING SEASON

Both falcons were at the Sheraton nest this afternoon: