Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2011 / Zeus & Alice  (Read 15264 times)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
Re: Tower Nest - 2011 / Zeus & Alice
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2011, 19:24 »
I think the tower birdies have gone south.  I haven't seen Alice or Zeus for a few days but I did see a hawk flying and hovering very close to the tower yesterday, probably looking for prey.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2011, 17:39 »
I had to get out a map and draw a pedigree to get it straight.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2011, 16:51 »
OMG! :o Don't know how you keep all the familial connections straight, TPC, and right at the tip of your fingers! :o Amazing! 8) Even when I read all the connections over very slowly, I still have difficulty following it all. ::)

I have cheat sheets for some of the more obsure ones  ;)
Incredible, TPC, you must eat, sleep and "drink" falcons. They say that the brain can concentrate on one thing (falcons) and many other things. Have you ever thought about publishing a "This is how I do it" book? ??? ???

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 16:25 »
OMG! :o Don't know how you keep all the familial connections straight, TPC, and right at the tip of your fingers! :o Amazing! 8) Even when I read all the connections over very slowly, I still have difficulty following it all. ::)

I have cheat sheets for some of the more obsure ones  ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2011, 13:27 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2011, 11:55 »
Here's a couple more nuggets ....

Holly is the offspring of Dakota Ace and Frieda in Fargo.  Her full sib include Bear (Terminator's first mate) and Roosevelt (Terminator's second mate) and Kate (Cowboy's mate) and her half-sibs include Sandy who has been eyeing the Radisson nestsite for the last couple of years.

Zeus' mom is Phoebe who was T-Rex's sister and Trey's aunt.

So connections and more connections on all sides

Zeus - grandfather (his parents were Mufasa & Phoebe, Terminator is his daughter, siblings include Screech & Cowboy)
Ivy - third cousin, once-removed (their grandparents were siblings - T-Rex & Phoebe)
Princess - third cousin, once-removed, in law  (not directly related - so far at least)
Cowboy - great uncle (he's Zeus' brother - parents were Mufasa & Phoebe)
Kate - aunt (Alice's sister - parents were Dakota Ace & Frieda)
Brooklyn - uncle (Terminator's half-brother - his parents were Screech & Holly)
Hurricane - third cousin, once removed (Ivy's sister) AND first cousin in law (as Brooklyn's mate)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 19:52 »
So...Alice and her grandad, eh?!?  Interesting lives, these wondrous raptors!  Thanks for the info Rose! :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 13:11 »
Thanks for that little "nugget", Rose. :) Very interesting. No, I hadn't put that together yet, either. As they say, six degrees of separation, in the human species, so I'm not surprised. ;)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 09:18 »
 Here's a little nugget of info I gleaned from the Smiley tower site(2009) and the family tree site, Terminator is the daughter of Zeus and Holly(McKenzie nest) and Alice is the daughter of Terminator (Grand Forks site) so that makes Zeus her grandfather, Probably everyone but me knew that. I guess they like to keep the genes all in the family. Also there was several mentions of Hurricane where they hoped HE would stick around.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2011, 16:48 »
I was only joking about Zeus and Alice being in Winnipeg.  ;) ;D

I wasn't expecting to find Alice nesting almost successfully with Zeus in Brandon after watching her in Winnipeg for so long this spring - so I'm not even going to guess where these two will turn up next  :D  I'll just be glad to see them wherever the turn up!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2011, 11:29 »

As for Alice and Zeus being in Winnipeg, its technically possible given the distance but this isn't a location they have been spotted at ... I think it would be more likely we would see them near the Grace Hospital since that is where they met and "dated" this spring or perhaps near the University of Manitoba where Alice spent the previous summer.  Be assured, when we see birds we try to see bands and try to get photos, so if they do pass through, we might get lucky and be able to confirm where your newest charges have wandered off to RCF!  :D

I was only joking about Zeus and Alice being in Winnipeg.  ;) ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2011, 21:29 »
I am assuming that somebody who works there reads the forum because the crow's nest is now gone and others have also been cleaned up, except the one catwalk at the top of the tower which has quite a bit of poop art.  Hmmmmmm, I wonder if it's peregrine poop art? I didn't see Zeus or Alice today, so maybe birdnut saw them at HSC yesterday...........well you just never know do ya?  :D

We asked them to remove the crow's nests - when don't want to encourage crows or other hawks to use the nests next spring and we want to encourage any peregrines to use the nestbox when they arrive next spring.  And no, the plan isn't to but the box on the catwalk because access is restricted and we prefer to have the ability to access a site quickly if we need to - particularly at a new site since we don't know how the birds will interact with their surroundings, all we can do is look around and make a best guess based on what little behaviour we have observed to date. 

As for Alice and Zeus being in Winnipeg, its technically possible given the distance but this isn't a location they have been spotted at ... I think it would be more likely we would see them near the Grace Hospital since that is where they met and "dated" this spring or perhaps near the University of Manitoba where Alice spent the previous summer.  Be assured, when we see birds we try to see bands and try to get photos, so if they do pass through, we might get lucky and be able to confirm where your newest charges have wandered off to RCF!  :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2011, 18:06 »
It looks like there's an old nest or something on the platform where she's sitting.

It's an old crow's nest on a grate catwalk

I am assuming that somebody who works there reads the forum because the crow's nest is now gone and others have also been cleaned up, except the one catwalk at the top of the tower which has quite a bit of poop art.  Hmmmmmm, I wonder if it's peregrine poop art? I didn't see Zeus or Alice today, so maybe birdnut saw them at HSC yesterday...........well you just never know do ya?  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2011, 13:16 »
It looks like there's an old nest or something on the platform where she's sitting.

It's an old crow's nest on a grate catwalk

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 07:07 »