Author Topic: Non-Resident Sightings - 2020  (Read 39758 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Non resident sightings - 2012
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2012, 22:18 »
...Very interesting read, thankyou Tracy.
Yes, very interesting read, indeed.
...At this point, she has travelled for 50 days and has covered 13,254km.
Amazing! :o

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2012, 15:38 »
Would sure be cool to know if she's spending her time with a male and raising chicks.  Very interesting read, thankyou Tracy.

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2012, 11:31 »
TPC............that is remarkable.  Amazing really.  Those "kids" that she will have sure have to grow up fast and strong in order to get south somewhere and out of the cold.  All I can say is WOW. Thanks so much for this info.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2012, 00:54 »
Even cooler and more on-topic is that Island Girl, a tundra peregrine with a transmitter, is currently sitting at the southern end of Whitewater Lake having bopped around the Turtle Mountains area for the last day.  At this point, she's flown 11,632km since she left Chile on April 15th.  And she has a ways to go - she should be heading north/northeast soon to head back to her nesting territory on Baffin Island soon. 

Last year she was in the same area at this time of the year.  Last year, she spent the night of May 25/26 on the banks of the Souris River by Gregory's Mill (a provincial historic site) before she head out NNW over Brandon to spend the night just SW of Minnedosa.  The next day she was off again in a NNW direction over Riding Mountain 271km to the shores of Swan Lake.  Next day she upped her mileage to 365km for the day, from Swan Lake north to Highrock Lake west of Thompson.  The next few days were short hops NNE to Sand Caribou River Park Reserve on the Manitoba/Nunavut border where she spent a couple more days within about a 1km square area just below the treeline (I checked the lat/long).  At this point, she has travelled for 50 days and has covered 13,254km.  Then on June 1st, she alters course and heads north east with purpose - from 1500h to 2300h, she crosses into Nunavut and covers 202km.  Next day she's off along the coast then she's over water - 293km by 0700h, another 672km by 1500h and another 132 by 2200h and another 34.9km by 0600h on June 3rd close to 1000km in a bit over 24 hours. But there was a reason, she's within site of her goal - by the end of the day, she's come ashore on/over Baffin Island.  From June 4th to the 9th she criss-crosses the southern half of the island and looking at the points, it almost looks like she's checking out nestsites along the shoreline(s), I don't know the terrain, but that's certainly how it looked and when I did look at some topo maps, she did seem to be popping from coastal cliff/peaks to cliff/peaks.  Finally on June 10th, she heads off to her nestsite - or at least where she spends her summers.  It's on the side of a lake amid a huge complex of interconnected waterbodies.  Her summer "home" is on high ground with low, I'd say tidal and salt-water marshes on one side and a lake on the other with higher ground surrounding the lake and other waterbodies. 

She was in the same location in 2010 and 2009 though in 2009 she was based on a different high spot just to the east, but on the same lake.  In 2009 she was back on her territory by June 18th (she did alot of wandering on the west side of Baffin that year) and on June 2nd in 2010.  In 2010, she went north through eastern Saskatchewan, across the NW corner of Manitoba then north of Chesterfield Inlet before going due west across to Southampton Island to Baffin Island.  Bird with a mission that year, no wandering about.  Will be interesting to see what this year will bring for Island Girl - but expect her to get home between June 2nd and 18th.  It will be a quick turn-around for her chicks (if she's breeding) - she leaves Baffin Island pretty regularly - September 20 in 2009 and 2011, September 21 in 2010.  That's 95-110 days - 14 days for egg production, 5 days to lay, 30 days incubation, 45 days until all the chicks fledge = 99 days - doesn't leave much time for anything except raising a family before its time to head south - definitely a case of having to "learn on the job" for the chicks!!  No idea how much "help" they get from their parents or if they have to rely much more on their hardwiring than our (spoiled  ;)) southern chicks.

* a day is from 0700h to 2300h

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2012, 22:43 »
Was checking the HawkCount numbers and it looks like for a great many of the sites, they had more peregrines come through their sites in May than in April - in a number of cases three-quarters or more of their totals this spring.  It will be nice to go back over the threads when I have more time to see when birds were turning up on sites to see when they turned up on their territories.  It may be these are non-breeding birds (too young, too old or "floaters) or they could just be "late" birds.

At the Pembina Valley, they had just 7 peregrines observed in March and April - which is interesting since we know of 8, probably 10 identified birds that probably went right over Windygates and another 6-10 that played "tourist" for a day or two before continuing on their way who also used the same route.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2012, 00:16 »
Very, very interesting.  I'll be looking upwards even more now. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2012, 21:19 »
About 10 days ago, BigBird, one of our members spotted a bird at Alice's favourite spot west of the West Winnipeg territory.  This was just after RCF thought the pair at the Tower site in Brandon looked not like Zeus and Alice - Alice is a very big bird for a peregrine, or at least in comparison with our females.  So RCF has been trying to get a better look at the Tower birds and/or their bands but no luck so far and Dennis and I have been trying to do the same with BigBird's big bird.  Given that everyone who sees her remarks on her size and because she's back in the same spot she was in last year at about this same time last year, well there's a pretty good chance its Alice again.  Hopefully she will hang around long enough for Wowzer to do his magic and we might be able to clear up one mystery even though it deepens the mystery as to who the Tower birds are ...? 

I should note that we have another wave of peregrines on the move through Manitoba and southern Saskatchewan at the moment.  This "big bird" is not the first we have seen in the last two weeks - Dennis has had three sightings on favourite migration buildings and I have had two.  The tundra birds are still moving - Island Girl who nests on Baffin Island is just entering the "River of Raptors" at Veracruz, Mexico and Felipe is a bit slower, he's near Arequipa, Peru.  We don't know where he spends his summers, but wherever it is, he's not in a great hurry to get there yet. 

So we have anatum birds on the move again but many of them could be hatches from last year or non-breeding birds so there is no urgency to get to a nestsite.  And the tundra birds, based on their previous years' schedules, should probably wander through Manitoba at the end of May, so whether you watch them on the webcams or watch the skies (or both) there are lots of peregrines to see over the next month!

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2012, 19:58 »
Just passing through...one bird on the back side of a high apt block, close to the main st. bridge. Returning home and as I step out of the buggy that familiar sound can be heard...then joined by a second and third, one bird circles and heads South and then some more cacking between the 2 left on the tower. Then all went quiet.
It was so obvious that even my wife noticed the bird fly over and heard all the yelling.
Just the right place at the right time kind of thing.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2012, 16:04 »
TPC, I was driving from Selkirk back to Pine Falls this afternoon and saw what sure looked like a peregrine falcon on a post by the highway. Is that an area where a sighting might be reasonable?  ???

Could be a young bird or a migrant on its way through.  Forests are not great for them to hunt but open fields especially near water, particularly if there is waterfowl there could definitely attract a bird or three.

Speaking of which - check out the video of I have just posted in the News section ...

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Non-Resident Sightings - 2012
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2012, 15:49 »
2012 NON-RESIDENT SIGHTINGS

TPC, I was driving from Selkirk back to Pine Falls this afternoon and saw what sure looked like a peregrine falcon on a post by the highway. Is that an area where a sighting might be reasonable?  ???

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Non-Resident Sightings - 2011
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2011, 22:38 »
Well, don't know who this was, as seems a bit far west for the Radisson birds, but I saw a peregrine juvie flying above the parking lot of the strip mall on Portage Ave between Westwood Drive and Rouge Road. (Princess Auto/DJs/Timmies/PetroCan/TD/BMO).
Are you kidding me???  I used to live on Rough Rd.!!!!  AHHHHHHHH!!!  NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  >:(

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2011, 08:56 »
I was running West on Portage ave yesterday morning and saw the same thing. PF just STREAKING up Portage avenue. It did a few circles right over my head (I was at about Wall St), then headed back west and disappeared.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2011, 07:59 »
Well, don't know who this was, as seems a bit far west for the Radisson birds, but I saw a peregrine juvie flying above the parking lot of the strip mall on Portage Ave between Westwood Drive and Rouge Road. (Princess Auto/DJs/Timmies/PetroCan/TD/BMO). This was about 7:15 p.m. last night. I have thought I've spied a peregrine there before but there's lots of crows and sea gulls usually inhabiting those skies, so I've tended to doubt my eyes. But this time I had plenty of time to watch him or her (right over my head and fairly low as there's no tall buildings in that lot) and there's no doubt in my mind that it was a peregrine. S/he came in from the southeast, first seemingly trying to land on one of the cranes at a construction site and either missing or thinking better of it, flying a circle & a half over the lot and then heading southwest. The Assiniboine river is just to the south of Portage. Whoever it was - it was pretty exciting to see!

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Non-Resident Sightings - 2010
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2010, 14:42 »
thank you Alli  :)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Non-Resident Sightings - 2010
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2010, 12:12 »
Alli, could you please post the link to the migration site.  I know I could try to find it from last spring but I have a hard time finding things here...took me forever to find the phanatic date thing yeserday.  Thanks  :)
http://hawkcount.org/index.php      ;D