Author Topic: News: Radisson Peregrines  (Read 18528 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
News 2010 - "Winnipeg Falcons Hatch 4 Chicks"
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 22:01 »
Winnipeg falcons hatch 4 chicks
CBC News (May 2010)

There are four new falcon chicks in Winnipeg, hatched this week on the rooftop of a downtown hotel.  The downy white chicks can be viewed live via webcam — dubbed the Falcon Cam — attached near the nest.  The camera is a project involving CBC Manitoba, Shaw Cable Systems and the Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project.

Various pairs of the peregrine falcons have been nesting on the hotel since 1989 and the webcam has been there since 2006, enabling people around the world to observe the tender and sometimes tragic first few weeks of the new families.

The parents of many of those chicks over the years, Trey and Princess, were together since 2004 and at least one of their offspring has survived every year and has been spotted nesting elsewhere in the city.

But this time around, Princess has a new mate, according to Tracy Maconachie, a conservation biologist who has co-ordinated Manitoba's Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project for 17 years.  Her partner now is Ivy, who has been living in west Winnipeg since 2007.

"If all goes well, this will be his first successful nest and her sixth," Maconachie said.

Like a soap opera plot, Ivy's ex-mate, Jules, also has a new mate in her life by the name of Beau. They are living on the city's west side.

The third known peregrine pair in the province is in Brandon. The female, Hurricane, has been there for some time but she, too, has a new boyfriend, named Brooklyn, said Maconachie.

Struck by tragedy

The genders of the latest falcon brood won't be known until they are banded in a few weeks.  They are living in a nestbox perched 30 storeys above downtown on the Radisson Hotel. That is the original nesting location, although between 2007 and 2009, Trey and Princess set up on a ledge jutting out from the hotel's 13th floor.

In June 2008, heavy rains flooded the ledge and drowned three chicks. A Winnipeg firefighter rappelled down the side of the building in a dramatic rescue attempt to pluck the chicks from the water but was too late.  Condolences for the falcons were posted on the Falcon Cam's comment section by people from Australia, Japan, the United States, Canada and the U.K.

And in 2007, one of four chicks belonging to the same falcon pair fell to its death from the rooftop nestbox.

In 2006, one chick was killed when it hit a building on its inaugural flight.

All three chicks from 2009 survived to leave the nest, although one learned a hard lesson when it tested its wings for the first time.  She flew off the Radisson Hotel onto the nearby St. Regis Hotel, and then discovered gravity as she plummeted straight down to the street pavement.  She was not terribly hurt and was returned to the nest by Maconachie.  Over the years, the falcons have experienced spring, snowstorms, ice storms and fierce windstorms, but they continue to come back.

The chicks will be dependent on their parents for food until some time in July, when they will learn to hunt on their own and permanently leave the nest.  Until then, the Falcon Cam will be streaming live, 24 hours a day.

Click the link at the top right of this page or look for the Falcon Cam in the list of CBC Manitoba features on the website.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2010/05/26/mb-falcon-cam-chicks-hatch-winnipeg.html?ref=rss#ixzz0pBnSkx2f
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 01:22 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Great little interview/explanation about our Manitoba Peregrines Tracy!

I smiled through the entire interview!  Thank you.   ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Here's the podcast link (http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/podcast.html) for those who missed the original ...

... like one of their modified soap opera names: Guiding Flight  :D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 21:05 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Yes, thank you for the link, des!  :D I just listened to the podcast. It was great! I noticed that that TPC failed to mention the actual biological relationship between Princess & Ivy! LOL! Maybe that would have been too much of a soap opera!  ;)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Thanks, Des, it was great to get right to the interview.
Love that Tracy busted us!
"Oh, yes, some people get quite caught up..... even recognize personalities of the birds."

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Just listened to the podcast interview with our very own Peregrine Chick on CBC "As It Happens". What a great interview, Tracy! :D And thanks to des for the link. ;)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Thank you, des for the link.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Hi Cocoa,

Yup, that's me, haven't heard it myself yet ...

As for the comments section on CBC, I believe they are looking into another communication format - the comments section doesn't work so well in this case as it can be difficult to follow questions/comments in a chronological way.  Its one of the reasons we have this Forum, it allows for real-time conversations/questions.  I do know that we are going to try regularly schedule online chats for questions ... keep an eye on the CBC site for more information.

If you want to join in on the conversation about the Radisson peregrines you can check out the  Radisson Peregrines thread or you can post questions in the Ask the Peregrine Chick

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 19:32 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Thanks Des for the info, I just finished listening to the interview. It was really interesting and I'm glad you provided the info on how to find it  8) 8)

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
If you google "cbc as it happens may 14",  there are choices but one is for the May 14 show,
or use this  http://www.cbc.ca/radioshows/AS_IT_HAPPENS/20090514.shtml
( yes correct spelling, but highlight and go)

You go to a site which breaks this program into 3 parts.  It doesn't get involved with which source (west... central, etc.) to listen to.

TPC can be heard - great interview - in the last half of of part 1 ( that would be in the last half of the 1st half hour ( show is 1 and a half hours).  This will help you find it - also if you need to wait for the podcast (I hope it's of the entire show) it will help you find it.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Radio interview on "As It Happens" this evening, don't know what time!

CBC Radio One.  Here's the website address to listen online ...

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/

and then click on "As It Happens"  for region Central.

Offline cocoa3c

• Egg
News 2010 - Short Interview on CBC Radio One "As It Happens"
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 17:56 »
Welcome back Falcon viewers!

I just logged into the cam today. At present I'm listening to the report on the falcons...is that you PC? Sorry, I tried to tell people it was on earlier, but I couldn't log on. Are we still going to have the post site on CBC? It's faster. Ok, look forward to a new season of falcon watching! Great new camera.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 01:33 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: News 2010 - Princess - Our Television Star!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 17:55 »
Attention to The Project is good wherever it happens.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 13:32 »
For those of us not in Winnipeg reading the paper and watching the news, what was "that" ?

Sorry BCBird, I had heard that they might do something on a newscast, but had only spoken with the radio folks so didn't know what they were going to do.  Then I heard something had gone to air but didn't know "when".   :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 12:06 »
So "that" has made our Princess a TV Star!