Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2008 / Zeus & Holly  (Read 42121 times)

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2008 / June
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 20:35 »
That is so amazing, Birdlover!!!!!  I can see how that would make your day -- how exciting!  I celebrate your excitement!!  (enough !!! already, Liz!)  Please keep us posted.  And take a camera, maybe...?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 20:37 by Liz »

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 20:22 »
Hi Y'all, :D
I have just come from the downtown area of Brandon, where Holly and Zeus are nesting.  Well, as soon as I got into position at the south east corner of the block, in swoop both of them and Holly lands on the ledge while Zeus soars over to the tower across the road.  I could see that she was feeding, so I waited around a bit to watch.  When she finished, she swooped down toward me and I got a great view of her head on.  She headed over to the tower also. 8)  It's amazing how much bigger the female is when you see them so close together.
I walked over to the east side of the building (but two blocks over) to get a better look at the nest box, and low and behold there were two very handsome chicks sitting up and watching the world go by.  They were magnificent to see and I am so glad that I got there at the right time to see the whole scene play out.
Hope everyone is well.  Have a great evening.

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 12:35 »
 ;D Oh, I didn't mean the chicks (I know it's far too early for them yet), I meant Holly & Zeus. 
It's so miserable here today that no one was out and about when I went past.  I have seen them on the towers though and last year I was watching a couple of them eating up and there and dicarded pigeon feathers floating down to earth.  I thought it was quite comical, actually, because it was fairly windy and they were trying to hang on to the tower and the food at the same time.
I'll definitely be watching again this year.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 23:54 »
The chicks won't be hangin out for quite awhile yet but check out the communications tower to the east of the McKenzie Seeds building, there is usually one bird hanging out there if they aren't off hunting.  The other one will be in the box with the chicks still.

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 14:54 »
Thanks for the update Tracy.  It's much appreciated.  I'm pretty sure I know where the nest is (East side of the Building?) and when I go past everyday, I check it out to see if I can see anyone soaring or hanging out.  So far, no luck.
I'll keep looking though. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 22:26 »
Hi BirdLover,

Don't think you have anything to worry about.  My last report was that two of the four eggs have hatched but then the weather changed and we have been leaving the birds alone.  The nestbox they are in is very good, high on a wall and well covered.  If you want to see some photos, check out our Photo Gallery.  I know I have photos of the nest site but I'm also pretty sure I have a description of where it is exactly in the images.  I am just now setting up the banding date with all the players, but will let you all know when it is.  Don't know if I can video of it, but maybe.  Will have still photos though.  I don't know yet if we will check the box before the banding because of the weather, but if we do, will post an update of course.

The Peregrine Chick

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 10:03 »
Can anyone involved in the Brandon nest please give me an update?  It was raining so hard yesterday here in Brandon that I am rather concerned about how our chick/s are doing? I know that the circumstances are different for this nest, but still concerned.
Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2008 / May
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 23:31 »
Yippee!!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 23:24 »
Half and half Liz.  Larry the Camera Guy has all the hardware worked out (his a genius about this kind of stuff!) now we are working on hosting the cam like CBC does here in Winnipeg.  We are making progress, but these things always take time.  I started talking with CBC Manitoba in 2004 and our first cam was in 2006 and that wasn't because  of a lack of enthusiasm or support on CBC's part, quite the contrary!  They were excited about the idea from Day 1.  But they had huge internet projects - the 2004 Olympics for example - so there just weren't enough hours or people to work on getting it up and running.  But now we are and what we have learned will make it easier in Brandon!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 20:34 »
I hope it happens too.  It should be easier than getting the Radisson camera up and running -- at least they don't have to invent the wheel.  Everyone involved knows what's needed now!  It should be just a matter of everyone getting on board and saying yes, and then it can take flight!  Pardon the pun.   ;)

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 20:30 »
I would love to see a camera here :)  I'd be glued to it every day.  Either that or find a spot down by the MacKenzie Seeds building where I could train my binos right on the nest and watch.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 20:58 »
Welcome aboard Eye-spy!

And yes, there was/is talk of a camera in Brandon.  We have access to the hardware and are working on the necessary internet connections and webhosting.  Still in the talking stage so not likely to happen this year, but hopefully next year.  Especially since all of you are making the CBC Cam so very popular!  Getting the CBC Manitoba/Shaw Falcon Cam didn't happen over night either.  Both CBC and Shaw were on-board right away, it was getting all the pieces in place that took nearly two years.  So don't be discouraged that there isn't a cam in Brandon, the fact that this one is a hit and we have people involved who know exactly how to get all the pieces to fit is great for a cam in the near future!

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
McKenzie Seeds - 2008 / Zeus & Holly
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 20:46 »
Wasn't there talk a little earlier about a camera in Brandon ?
IS there still a chance that we may see something yet this year ?