Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2008 / Zeus & Holly  (Read 41378 times)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
McKenzie Seeds - 2008 / July
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 23:41 »
A couple of Brandon Banding photos have been posted at this link.
www.pbase.com/photosbydennis  just click on the recent photos gallery.

Cheers !
Dennis

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
McKenzie Seeds - 2008 / June
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 13:07 »
Have the scabs to prove it ...  :D

And this isn't a post either Liz, wouldn't want to threaten your standing (or rather flying!)  :P

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 07:50 »
That  is great news Tracy.. Can hardly wait to see them.. Feisty little ones were they  :) :)

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 19:22 »
(This isn't a post, because it would add to my count.)  Yes, thanks Tracy! 

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 17:27 »
I'm glad to hear that all went well and not much damage to the humans ;D.
Hopefully, I will be able to make it next year.
Also very pleased that the chicks are fat and happy :D
Thanks for the update Tracy.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 17:00 »
Brandon banding was great as usual.  The usual gang was there, me, Dennis (photographer), Bob (our bander) and Dan (Manitoba Conservation) who watches over the Brandon peregrines. Joining us was Dave (Manitoba Conservation) and Don and Scott from McKenzie Seeds who are our peregrines' hosts.  The weather cooperated as well, hot but very little wind, which is great since we are out on an exposed roof and up a ladder to get to the box!

We (sorry, Dan) had no difficulty getting the chicks out of the nestbox, though the parents, the male (I belive) in particular, were lets say "annoyed" as I don't want to trigger the forum's censor, and they made their annoyance know by buzzing by so close you could hear them cursing under their breaths.  Banding went smoothly, 1 male, 2 females all fat and happy and looking great.  I only got gored a few times which means it definitely was a good banding day.  We have named the chicks, but you will have to wait until I have the photos posted ( ;D) and the blog up to find out what they are!

A great day, sorry you had to miss it BirdLover! Maybe next year?

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 19:54 »
Ooooh, I feel for you.  That must be very disappointing. 

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 19:53 »
I'm sooooo upset.  :'( I couldn't get away from work for the banding this morning. :'(
How did it go Tracy??? and what do we have in the nest(gender wise)?  Are they hale and hearty?
I hope it all went well :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 20:37 »
We are definitely banding on Tuesday, June 24th in Brandon.

There are three chicks waiting for us to band, no idea what gender they are, but will let you all know when we are done.  Also don't know what or even if the chicks will be named this year.  The Brandon chicks are named by the Brandon staff if they wish.  If they are/do, will also let you know.  Will try to get photos of all three chicks together so that you can see size differences.

For anyone who plans to come down to the McKenzie Seeds Building, please note that we won't be taking "guests" up onto the roof.  Liability issues and all that.  We can however provide you with suggestions on where to go to watch from the ground.  The Project will be meeting at McKenzie Seeds around 11 am, if you are there then, we will get you set up nearby so that you are in place to watch what you can of the action before we start.  I'm afraid that is as close as I can get you all right now.

The Peregrine Chick

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 17:36 »
Tuesday is even better for me!!!!! ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 13:40 »
Looks like we are bumping the date to the Tuesday BL, same time though.  Will confirm as soon as I have heard from our last party!

The Peregrine Chick

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 13:28 »
Yippee, I am definitely going to see if I can take an early lunch on Monday.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 11:49 »
Here's something else to help I hope ...  :D

Barring any last minute changes, we will be banding the Brandon chicks on Monday, June 23rd starting about 11 am.

Now, before anyone thinks they will be able to see the chicks, we don't band like you will have seen on some of the webcams.  We band on the roof to minimize the time we stress the birds (both the adults and chicks).  If you do want to come down to the McKenzie Seeds building, we can certainly get you set up with the best view of what is happening from the ground (or the nearby parkade) so that you can watch the adults while we are banding the chicks.  Best I can promise y'all I'm afraid folks.  Dennis Swayze (PhotosbyDennis) will be joining us again as our official photographer, so there will be photos and yes, I will be posting time right after the banding.

If you think you will be coming down, let me know here on the thread or via private message, just so I know.  And please, do not contact McKenzie Seeds directlly, they are great hosts for the Brandon Birds but there are safety concerns with going on the roof so we don't take "guests". 

Any changes or updates, will let you know. 

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 21:56 »
No photos is okay.  Happy with your updates! 

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 21:13 »
If I had a good camera, I definitely would take some pics.  You probably wouldn't be able to make anything out in them tho!  I'm terrible at taking pictures :-[
But, you can bet I will be going back.  I actually go by there every day and try to get a look but I have to watch all the other drivers because they just don't know a good thing when I see it ;D
When I went by this morning I noticed a white lump in the front corner, so I knew I had to go back and take a closer look.  Sure wish I had a good scope or a better pair of binoculars.