Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2008 / Zeus & Holly  (Read 41376 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2008 / September
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2008, 12:46 »
Thank you Dennis for the pictures, hope all the young ones fledged successfully and are doing well. 

It's funny this is usually my favorite time of year and I just saw several flocks of birds fly by my place and I suddenly feel so sad.  I guess the birds migrating has a different meaning to me now after spending so much time with the peregrines this year. 

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
McKenzie Seeds - 2008 / September
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2008, 11:46 »
Some what quiet in the forum...for those interested some photos of the Brandon Banding have been added at this link.
http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/brandon_peregrines_2008

Cheers !
Dennis

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
McKenzie Seeds - 2008 / August
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2008, 18:52 »
Just wondering if there are any updates on the Brandon Falcons.  It is like they have been forgotten about.  I hope all is well there.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2008 / July
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 18:21 »
LOL -- Rush minute?  Oh yeah, it's Brandon.   :D

My brother used to live on Lynx.... Crescent? 

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 07:03 »
ummm... sorry sir... really I meant to be here 15 minutes early actually, but you see, the thing is.... well, there was this bird you see, and ummmm.... well I must say it was a fine looking bird and ummmm..... well I just had to take a look at it you see to ummm... improve, no no wait ummm.. to enhance my learning abilities by employing my frontal cortex to remember the type of bird it was... and then you see.... another one showed up .... and well I had to be certain that they were the same type... you know for educational purposes....and it well took a little longer than I thought it would....so you see sir.... the reason I'm four hours late was purely for the purpose of increasing my brain function so I can perform my job here better. ;D ;D ;D

That's it :)  I 'll use that next time.  Maybe this morning I'll stop for another coffee ;).  I sure do have to be careful when I'm driving downtown tho.  It's usually rush minute traffic.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 22:45 »
ummm... sorry sir... really I meant to be here 15 minutes early actually, but you see, the thing is.... well, there was this bird you see, and ummmm.... well I must say it was a fine looking bird and ummmm..... well I just had to take a look at it you see to ummm... improve, no no wait ummm.. to enhance my learning abilities by employing my frontal cortex to remember the type of bird it was... and then you see.... another one showed up .... and well I had to be certain that they were the same type... you know for educational purposes....and it well took a little longer than I thought it would....so you see sir.... the reason I'm four hours late was purely for the purpose of increasing my brain function so I can perform my job here better. ;D ;D ;D

...made me laugh...good lines. Will have to remember these...thanks.
Cheers !

winnipeg_gal

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 22:22 »
I must say though BirdLover that must've been a fantastic start to the morning!!

winnipeg_gal

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 22:21 »
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 22:23 by winnipeg_gal »

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 21:22 »
Reasonable excuses are easy -- find one!  LOL

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 19:51 »
Oh, I was very tempted to just stay there, but duty calls.  And, I wrecked the cup of coffee that I had just bought so had to go in search of more. :P

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 19:27 »
Lucky you, BirdLover!  And I applaud your ability to get into your car and head for work because you were supposed to be there -- not sure I could have!  "I'm sorry, I accidentally locked my keys in the car and had to wait for CAA."  LOL

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 17:51 »
I would most likely live on the sidewalks just to capture the Peregrines...lol

There are lots of great angles to see them from too!

Photos of the Brandon Peregrines and Banding will be coming shortly.
Cheers !
Dennis

I am very much looking forward to seeing those little guys up close and personal through your lens.
Thanks Dennis

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 22:16 »
Lucky you...love the Brandon location. If I lived in Brandon...I would most likely live on the sidewalks just to capture the Peregrines...lol
Photos of the Brandon Peregrines and Banding will be coming shortly.
Cheers !
Dennis

Every morning I drive through downtown Brandon after dropping my son at work, and every morning I look up at the nest box on the side of the building where our resident Peregrines nest.  Yesterday when I looked up, it looked a little bare.

This morning I decided to stop at the coffee shop to grab a java to take to work.  I parked on the main street downtown and when I was plugging the meter I looked up at the building where the nest is and, low and behold, right in front of me on a building ledge right across the street and three or four stories up, there was a peregrine with its back to me, feeding.  I couldn't tell whether it was a parent or fledgling as it was hunched over with its back to me.  I stood and watched it for a bit and then went in and got my coffee.

When I came back out, of course I had to look up again to see if the feeder was still there.  Much to my surprise there was a fledgling sitting about 20 feet over on the same ledge and looking down at me, then looking at the other bird.  I was stopped in my tracks by the sight of the fledgling because I couldn't believe how large it looked.  I watched them for a minute but then had to get to work.  I got into my car and closed the door, but when I looked back up they had gone.

I'm so amazed by those quick moments in life when we get a glimpse into nature.  such beautiful creatures, these Peregrines.

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 20:51 »
Every morning I drive through downtown Brandon after dropping my son at work, and every morning I look up at the nest box on the side of the building where our resident Peregrines nest.  Yesterday when I looked up, it looked a little bare.

This morning I decided to stop at the coffee shop to grab a java to take to work.  I parked on the main street downtown and when I was plugging the meter I looked up at the building where the nest is and, low and behold, right in front of me on a building ledge right across the street and three or four stories up, there was a peregrine with its back to me, feeding.  I couldn't tell whether it was a parent or fledgling as it was hunched over with its back to me.  I stood and watched it for a bit and then went in and got my coffee.

When I came back out, of course I had to look up again to see if the feeder was still there.  Much to my surprise there was a fledgling sitting about 20 feet over on the same ledge and looking down at me, then looking at the other bird.  I was stopped in my tracks by the sight of the fledgling because I couldn't believe how large it looked.  I watched them for a minute but then had to get to work.  I got into my car and closed the door, but when I looked back up they had gone.

I'm so amazed by those quick moments in life when we get a glimpse into nature.  such beautiful creatures, these Peregrines.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 18:28 »
I had already gone to bed when you posted this last night.  Thanks so much for the photos, Dennis! 

and btw -- I have a HUGE soft spot for pansies.  I just love IMG_0632-1001.jpg -- look at all those cheerful faces smiling at you!!! 

And the hummingbird, the oriole, and..... all of them!