Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2009 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 110667 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: U of Alberta - March 2009
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 18:58 »
Ask Raven to leave at this stage won't do anyone, except perhaps the "asker" any harm.  There isn't a nest yet, the pair are probably still in courtship mode.  Will see if I can't talk in-person on Monday with the Edmonton gang to find out what they have planned.  Will let you all know what I find out ....

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 17:43 »
Yes Loriann, what you wrote is absolutely true and the Raven does symbolize change/transition. 
I never wish or want any harm to any living creature, however, what I meant by destroying their nests (not if any eggs are in there), before the peregrines come back, maybe even one at a time, is to simply avoid a territorial dispute.  Maybe you're right Loriann, they may no something we do not and I have no problem if they want to honor us with a visit but, would prefer for them to nest elsewhere. 
On one hand, we get to witness how the Ravens court, live and raise their young....on the other, we don't get to watch Peregrines, an endangered species, raise their chicks so we can band them for further information and to raise their numbers for the future. 
Peregrines are still in trouble and I'm just concerned that there will be a battle for this nest....which some can be to the death. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 17:17 »
Bev might be away with her hubbie but I did email her.  TPC also knows the project people though so maybe she can give them a heads up as to what is going on there.

I don't wish ill on them Loriann but you know if Transmitter Girl, Radisson or dad come back - they won't take this well and it could get ugly.  I don't want anyone to get hurt.  My worry is one falcon comes home alone this week and tries to take these 2 on alone  :'(

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 17:14 »
The symbolic meaning of the Raven in Native Indian lore describes the raven as a creature of metamorphosis, and symbolizes change/transformation.

Perhaps it is time for a change at this nest, and as everything happens for a reason, maybe the Ravens know something we do not.

It is a great honor to be visited by Raven, and Raven usually brings a message.  As the message here is unclear, we should not wish ill will on the Ravens.

:)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 17:06 »
NOPE!!!  This isn't a good sign at all  >:(

I hope Bev knows someone or the project can interfere several several times to get rid of them so they nest somewhere else!!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 16:59 »
This is not a good sign:

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 16:33 »
Ravens are ugly....meaning they are aggressive  >:(

The only thing that can be done now is for someone from the project to go and destroy their nest to drive them out of there. 
They will however keep trying in the same spot so unfortunately, if the project doesn't want to tackle this nest everytime they have almost completed it, then, it looks like these Ravens have found themselves a new home  >:(

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 14:13 »
There is a lot of building going on here. They come every 5 to 10 minutes with sticks and material. They certainly look like they have the parental urge going on!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 13:43 »
Well they're building a nest for sure, they keep coming in with sticks and branches  :(  . 

And a raven pair can fend off a peregrine falcon, I've been googling:

" Ravens can hold their own (oftentimes through strength in numbers) against eagles, hawks, falcons and vultures.

Nesting territories are guarded year round. Ravens will even drive off other ravens if local foraging opportunities are slim. Only Peregrine Falcons are tolerated/respected enough to be allowed to nest nearby. This is not to say ravens fear Peregrines. The raven's ability to fly upside-down and defend itself with both claws and beak is enough to thwart even the fearsome dive-bombing attack of a Peregrine."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 13:48 by carly »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 11:45 »
I was afraid of that...
Ravens....yuck!!!
I wonder if there is anyone there that can kick them out of that nestbox?  I don't know if they are going to make a nest inside the box or use it as is...they always make enormous nests at the top of tall mature trees....which sometimes, falcons use after the Ravens and/or crows have left it. 
All I know is that they do get very discouraged if the nest they build is dismantled (help of humans here)...but I don't know the access to this falcon nestbox as it may be very difficult to get to.  So if they do build a nest in a nest, not sure if anyone can interveen and discourage them so they leave... ???

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 11:33 »
Ick..just saw one of them enter the nest box again, they really have taken over  :'(

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 10:58 »
I don't like that these Ravens are still "visiting" this nest  >:( 
I hope they are gone before these falcons come back  :-[

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 10:54 »
The inside cam is not working for me, all I see is a brown screen.  Only the outside view is clear.

I've sent an S.O.S. email to Bev...hehe!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:59 by carly »

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 08:11 »
Uuh oh  ???  There are more large twigs in the box this morning.  Looks like the Ravens may be nest building.  I was hoping that they were just cleaning up the left overs.  Carly, you had better send off that hardhat and broom  :D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 00:10 »
They are ravens ... the beak is the give-away in the photos ...

Check out Cornell to see the differences - Crows / Ravens - particularly if they decide to say and play on-camera for awhile
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 00:11 by The Peregrine Chick »