Author Topic: ME / BRI - 2009-16  (Read 39539 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: BRI - 2016
« Reply #417 on: December 02, 2016, 03:37 »
Nice classic colouration on Fiesty - pretty bird.  Would be nice to think he's been passing those pretty genes on to another generation ... anyone know if he's nesting anywhere?

Since Feisty has not been seen since 2012, I don't think anyone knows whether or not he has a nest somewhere. He is now seven years old, and has remained in his home state of Maine.

Feisty was the only chick to hatch in 2009. Four eggs were laid, but there was a problem with the nest tray. It resembled a nest tray installed upside down, with a very small amount of gravel on top. This made incubation very difficult. Many people had asked for the nest to be fixed, but this had not been done. I contacted Bob Anderson through Raptor Resource, and he contacted the person in charge in Maine. It turned out they knew each other, and very quickly the nest tray was replaced with one which was much more suitable. As a result, Feisty was able to hatch. The credit for this belongs to Bob Anderson; I think he would have been pleased to know that Feisty is still around.

Here is a blog entry from Josh Fecteau, who took the photos of Feisty on the beach:

http://joshfecteau.com/a-falcon-named-feisty/#comments

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: BRI - 2016
« Reply #416 on: November 29, 2016, 14:13 »
Nice classic colouration on Fiesty - pretty bird.  Would be nice to think he's been passing those pretty genes on to another generation ... anyone know if he's nesting anywhere?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
BRI - 2016
« Reply #415 on: November 23, 2016, 09:20 »
2016 NESTING SEASON

For those that remember 'Feisty' from the BRI nest site back in 2009 and his rehab stint in 2011.  He has been photographed alive and well just 2 days ago!!!

This popped up on my Facebook this morning:  https://www.facebook.com/Avian-Haven-381894018553252/

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Maine / BRI - 2013 / U40 & ?
« Reply #414 on: March 20, 2013, 21:47 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

Biodiversity Research Institute's Live Webcam Captures
Peregrine Falcons Laying Eggs

Gorham, ME - Biodiversity Research Institute (BRI) confirmed today that the Peregrine Falcons monitored by its webcam are incubating two eggs. Confirmation was made on the morning of Saturday, March 16 and additional eggs are expected in the coming days.

Visitors to BRI's website, www.briloon.org/oae/webcams/peregrinecam, can watch the daily nesting activities of this pair of falcons in a 24-hour live feed that is offered to the public free of charge in partnership with the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (MDIFW), the Maine Department of Transportation, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

"The chance to watch the nesting activities of Peregrine Falcons is a great opportunity to learn about the behavior of this species," says Patrick Keenan, BRI's outreach director and coordinator of the webcam program. "We can expect additional eggs over the coming days and then expect eggs to hatch in about 34 days." This is the fifth consecutive year of Peregrine Falcons nesting at this site with nesting activities documented by BRI's webcam. BRI created and manages an online community (www.briloon.ning.com) where members can discuss observations, ask questions, and post photographs.

The camera (image only, no audio) provides a close-up perspective of the scrape. The falcon does not actually build a nest, but rather digs a depression in the gravel found on a high ledge, usually a cliff. These birds have adapted to human development by taking advantage of tall man-made structures such as skyscrapers, water towers, or bridges for nesting spots.

"The Peregrine Falcon is the poster child for raptor conservation," says wildlife research biologist Christopher DeSorbo, director of BRI's raptor program. Peregrine populations nationwide plummeted due to environmental contaminants like DDT. Through the banning of DDT and reintroduction efforts, these birds are again breeding throughout the New England region. "Peregrines helped us detect a crisis that had serious implications on both wildlife and human health. This is one of the reasons it is important to monitor raptor populations. Because they sit at the top of the food web, raptors serve as key indicators that can be used to detect environmental and ecological imbalance," says DeSorbo.

The federal government removed the Peregrine Falcon from its endangered species list in 1999. Although this species has successfully responded to national conservation efforts, Peregrine Falcons remain on Maine's endangered species list; there are only 24 known pairs of Peregrine Falcons in the state, according to the MDIFW.

Peregrine Falcons, known for their aerial acrobatics, are the fastest flying birds in the world; they can dive and catch prey in midair at speeds of up to 200 miles per hour. The male, who prepares the nest for roosting, also courts its mate with elaborate aerial displays around the nesting site. These falcons breed in the same territory each year. An average clutch of four eggs is laid in early spring, hatching about a month later. Peregrines have been known to live up to 20 years.

BRI's webcam program began in 2003 as a research tool to monitor the nest of the Common Loon, which at the time was one of the primary bird species being studied at the Institute. Since then, BRI has installed additional webcams to monitor the nesting activities of ospreys, eagles, and falcons.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Maine / BRI - 2012 / U40 & ?
« Reply #413 on: April 28, 2012, 12:21 »
Feeding going on right now.  There are 3 chicks. Two white ones and one a little more pink, not as much fluff.

Pink chick is a wet/damp chick so newly hatched ...

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #412 on: April 28, 2012, 05:59 »
Feeding going on right now.  There are 3 chicks. Two white ones and one a little more pink, not as much fluff.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #411 on: April 27, 2012, 20:43 »
You're right about that, Moonstar. According to the BRI chat board, there is one fluffy little white chick! :D I couldn't see it myself, as it's too dark at the moment.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #410 on: April 27, 2012, 14:46 »
I think there has been a hatch at Maine.  I just checked there and I am sure there is a white fluffy chick under the parent.   :)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #409 on: March 30, 2012, 19:03 »
I agree, TPC!  Great photo, rcf!   :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #408 on: March 30, 2012, 18:53 »

That's about as nice a scrape of eggs as one is ever going to see :)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #407 on: March 30, 2012, 15:39 »
Do we know yet if the adults here are the same resident pair from last year?

This is the info I received on the male, but nothing on the female.  :)

The male of the pair is colorbanded black and green U-40 and hails from Manchester, NH where it was banded as a chick in 2004. Arrived at our location to nest in 2007. We have colorbanbed chicks in each year in coordination with USF&W and ME Inland department of Fisheries and Wildlife. Thanks for your questions and interest hope this is a start.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #406 on: March 30, 2012, 15:36 »

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 15:50 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #405 on: March 29, 2012, 10:44 »

From what I understand these are the same falcons from last year, they stick around all year and don't migrate.  If I find anything more I will post it here.   :)  But I do know something definite about date the eggs were laid.

March 16.....first egg laid
March 18.....second egg laid
March 20.....third egg laid
March 23.....fourth egg laid

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #404 on: March 28, 2012, 21:18 »

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #403 on: March 28, 2012, 14:42 »
Wow...so good to have 4 eggs.  Three years ago there were 2 eggs and only one hatched.  So it is good to see this site doing well.