Author Topic: Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente  (Read 23379 times)

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2016, 09:16 »
I noticed that, too. :'( They were fun to watch.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2016, 08:03 »
No Kestrels this year :'(

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2016, 19:14 »
For those interested Beleef de Lente is up and running.  Several of the cams are on as the various birds arrive back at the nests.  The falcons are back here as well!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2015, 00:51 »

I remember watching that video dupre, and it was scary! I was so thankful when the owls left.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2015, 13:03 »
I am going to recommend the Kestrel camera they have on the Beleef de Lente site. The live feed is done for the year, but they have a great summary video dated 01 aug 2015. The video is about 6:49 long, but at the 3:28 mark you can see that there was a nighttime visit by a pair of owls. The one owl seemed particularly interested in the 5 sleeping chicks and looked about to hop down into the nest box. Just glad this ended well for all of them.

http://www.beleefdelente.nl/vogel/torenvalk

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2014, 11:39 »
This camera will be shut down in a day or two, I think, but they have a couple of great summary videos posted - March/April, and May/June - with a lovely farewell and close-up of a parent in the last one (have a tissue on hand). There is also a short video of one of the chicks playing in a puddle on June 16 entitled,  "AAB op het dak". The cuteness factor is fairly high. :-*

http://www.beleefdelente.nl/vogel/slechtvalk

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2014, 11:18 »
This was an excellent nest to observe.  I'm going to miss these guys.

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2014, 11:04 »
This has been a great little family to observe. The parents must have depleted the mouse and lizard population to feed the 6 chicks - over 1,000 prey at the last count, according to the clips.   :o The parents were very fierce when the crows were around. It has been a pleasure to watch as the chicks developed. I hope they all do well.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2014, 09:27 »
All six kids have fledged.  The clips showing the last one leaving are fun to watch as he watches all siblings leave, then one comes back as if to encourage, which he does successfully.  All six fledglings have been spotted, hanging around the area and the parents are feeding and protecting them as furiously, if not more so than when they were in the nest.  It's been lovely to watch this family grow and thrive :-*

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2014, 12:57 »
Here are a few shots of the wee ones.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2014, 12:38 »
If you check out the clip "13 jun 2014 Ringen" you can see one of the chicks being banded.

They put a clear barrier to the outside then access the chicks. At the end you can see one of the parents outside seperated from the chicks by the clear barrier.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2014, 19:36 »
Holy Moly!!  I haven't looked at these guys since the weekend and they've suddenly gotten their big bird feathers! :o

I posted this quickly from work and didn't specify that it was the wee Kestrals I was talking about ::)

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2014, 19:23 »
these guys have fledged and there are some clips of them zipping around the nest box. On the same Beleef de Lente site, the kestrels cam has 6 larges chicks that will likely fledge soon, very cute http://www.beleefdelente.nl/vogel/torenvalk

They are very adept at flying and landing. I notice, too, that there are usually at least a couple or maybe all of them back in the nest box at night. I wonder if it is because it is the only tall structure around? I don't recall that the Manitoba birds return to the nest box very often after they fledge.

The kestrels are a hoot, grabbing food and swallowing it whole (with a sand lizard tail hanging out of a beak  ;D), and scooting backwards around the nest. And it is interesting to watch "Ma" defend the nest by fluffing out her feathers when the crows bother them. She looks quite fierce.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2014, 19:14 »
Wow! They are big! :o All 4 seem to have returned to the nest box for the night. 3 are sleeping and 1 is acting as a night watchman, I guess. LOL! ;)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2014, 16:05 »
Holy Moly!!  I haven't looked at these guys since the weekend and they've suddenly gotten their big bird feathers! :o

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2014, 14:34 »
these guys have fledged and there are some clips of them zipping around the nest box. On the same Beleef de Lente site, the kestrels cam has 6 larges chicks that will likely fledge soon, very cute http://www.beleefdelente.nl/vogel/torenvalk

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2014, 20:55 »
I agree, Irene - they are so skittish and crazy - so unraptor-like and yet, as parents, they seem so like the PF's!  Such a big family to feed!  It'll be fun to see them grow - I sure hope all goes well.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2014, 19:56 »
I've been watching this nest also Susha and am thrilled at the success here finally!!  Kestrals are crazy, skittish birds aren't they.  The crows haven't been around the last few days so hopefully that misery has passed so these chicks get a good chance to mature & fledge.  These chicks are the absolute cutest little things!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2014, 19:03 »
Six new chicks in this nest.  Almost as cute as the PF's ;)
The little clips are most entertaining...watching a feeding going on while the sixth chick hatches and especially fun is the clip with dad trying to feed the kids, by plopping the entire mouse on top of the babies and looking perplexed that they're not interested ::)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2009, 13:13 »
The drama here just never ends!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2009, 12:52 »
WOW!!!
I'm going to have to go and check the site again.  Thanks for the update!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2009, 09:08 »
Believe it or not, the doves moved back into this nest box a few weeks ago and are incubating. Hopefully there will be at least one successful nest (even if they are not kestrels) at this site this year.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2009, 22:42 »
Interesting post today. The translation is difficult but it seems that they found a male kestrel that they suspect disappeared from this nest a few weeks ago. It was picked up about 2 km away from the nest box by the "animal ambulance" but succumbed to its injuries. They report that there is another kestrel nest about 1 km from this nest box so perhaps a territorial dispute?? They think it is too late for the female to start another nest this year.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2009, 22:38 »
The dove was sitting on the Kestrel eggs last night but they have been sitting there exposed most of the time. I expect  this has an impact on their viability. I wonder if seeing these eggs in the nest will affect her hormones and her fertility? She seems motivated to incubate them at least part of the time.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2009, 22:32 »
I don't believe the doves will remove, I have found pigeon nests with old eggs in them ...
As for the doves incubating them, I have no idea.  I guess it could happen ... cowbirds lay eggs in other birds' nests and then abandon them to nest's owner to raise - and since the cowbird chicks grow so fast, they tend to take all the food and the legitimate chicks don't stand a chance.

(for more information on cowbirds and their reproductive strategy check out their All About Birds entry)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2009, 19:36 »
I really hope the doves don't incubate these eggs or they will be very disappointed.  It's really really sad that after all that drama, we are back at the beginning when the doves got in there first.  I don't know if doves would remove these eggs or what?  TPC????

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2009, 08:56 »
The dove is back in the nest making those noises over the eggs.  The latest update says that the female Kestrel made only 4 very brief visits yesterday.  It appears to be a case of use it or lose it, at least that is how I translate their comments.  If the female doesn't get a male to return with her soon then the pigeons may take over again. 

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2009, 07:01 »
Both male & female doves have been at the nest for just over an hour.  In and out, in and out.  If this is the pair of doves that first layed eggs there a few weeks ago (remember the ravens dumping them onto the ground) then I wonder if they think these are still their eggs??  They do seem less and less nervous about hanging out in the nestbox.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2009, 13:01 »
Thank you. Everyday is another learning experience here!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2009, 10:28 »
Does anyone know-If this had been an endangered species such as a peregrine nest, at what point would the biologist have intervened and pulled the eggs out to artificially incubate? 

There are different rules about handling birds and eggs in the UK (for sure) and I believe in Europe.  When I was doing some falconry work in the UK a number of years ago, the rule was not to touch a wild bird because once handled, it couldn't be returned to the wild.  I don't know if this would apply for species-at-risk but incubating without a full set-up to feed and rehab without imprinting is required before one can even consider pulling eggs to incubate.  Most places don't have that kind of specialized facility/expertise and I don't know how easy it would be to arrange to get eggs across a border if a country nearby had that kind of facility.  I know that when Saskatchewan had huge floods on the piping plover grounds in 2005, they scooped and ran (literally) to save as many eggs as they could but they couldn't get them across the border to a plover breeding facility because of US security concerns (ques: how much of a security risk are 100+ unhatched plover eggs?).

So even if the species were "at risk", they still may not have been able to do anything about the eggs ...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 13:08 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2009, 08:16 »
Does anyone know-If this had been an endangered species such as a peregrine nest, at what point would the biologist have intervened and pulled the eggs out to artificially incubate?

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2009, 08:07 »
I'm glad to hear that the kestrel has been seen there. I looked on and off all night (up studying) and only saw the dove. She looks very content there right now trying to sleep at the entrance of the nest box. I was worried that her comfort level at the box might mean that the kestrels were nowhere around. Even though this nest box has been very upsetting at times for me to watch, it has, by the same token been fascinating to see the varying birds try to claim it as theirs.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2009, 07:41 »
Both the dove and the female kestrel have been sitting at the nestbox entrance today (at different times).  The dove looks very nervous.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2009, 23:46 »
Mrs dove is there again nervously looking in the box. After about 10 minutes, she has entered and "rearranged the furniture" so that she could get her big butt on to the eggs. It was amazing that she went right to the eggs again. It's almost like she thinks they are hers.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2009, 23:21 »
After that video I saw today of her and this new man...I have hope!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2009, 18:51 »
The dutch forum seems to think that if she incubates soon there may still be hope. Can we not forget how long Scout left that one egg last year and every egg hatched.  so let us pray for a wee bit of success here.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2009, 18:24 »
It is interesting isn't it? I saw her a few times today but no incubating. Perhaps TPC will know, is it too late for these eggs to begin incubation?
If I understand TPC's comments from yesterday correctly, she is done with the present clutch, but there is hope, as she has been at the territory, and if she can find a new male she can have another clutch.  The sighting today provides hope that this situation can still have a happy ending.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2009, 14:37 »
It is interesting isn't it? I saw her a few times today but no incubating. Perhaps TPC will know, is it too late for these eggs to begin incubation?

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2009, 13:43 »
A different male made a visit to the nestbox today.  There is a clip from today with a title that translates as New Man? So perhaps the female hasn't been around much because she has been out looking for a new mate.  Stay tuned.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2009, 07:07 »
Kestrel was sitting at the nest entrance several times through the night but never saw her go into the nest. She seemed content to sit and preen on the platform. This is so disappointing. I was even hoping last night that the dove would go and sit on the eggs.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2009, 06:35 »
Dove back at the nest 6:30am winnipeg time.  Cautiously peeking into the nest and just generally hanging around.  Left on it's own initiative.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2009, 01:06 »
A very brave (or stupid) dove was back again sitting at the nest ledge looking nervously into the nest box for a long time. She was chased away by the female kestrel who promptly left. I'm glad to see the kestrel is still around but she shows no signs of brooding yet.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2009, 20:12 »
The dutch blog says they think there may be one more egg to come.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2009, 19:56 »
I am really hoping that this female will find a mate.  After everthing that has gone on here this year I am really hoping for some good news.   ???  And while I am on the Good topic, has anyone here watced the Good Neighbours on PBS?  I saw an episode a couple of weeks ago and although this series must be 30 years old I had a big belly laugh  ;D ;D ;D something that I think we all need these days   

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2009, 18:33 »
Can't say what a) falcons "know" or b) what this female "knows".  If she isn't incubating for more than a couple of hours, she is probably done with this clutch for the year.  I just checked the cam and she is sitting outside the nestbox so she may not yet be done with the territory which might (might) bode well for a second clutch if she can find an unattached male.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2009, 18:21 »
Would she incubate if her mate is missing so long?  Would she know that she couldn't provide for them on her own?  Kind of like our ravens didn't incubate that last egg because they knew they couldn't stay maybe.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2009, 18:05 »
This is her usual spot at night. I'm glad to see her as she was not there last night during the many times I looked. Still seems strange she has not started incubating. She almost looks like she is waiting for something or someone.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2009, 17:55 »
 :'( :'( Very sad news, I'm so sorry.  :'( :'(

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2009, 17:50 »
and she's still sitting there...... :'(grieving perhaps?  However birds do that.  To get inside her head. . . . .  ???

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2009, 14:57 »
there is a kestrel outside on perch right now. at first I thought theer were 2 but it must be shadow. I have both cams up.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2009, 14:19 »
this is so sad. the female was in the box yesterday for a bit and was incubating.

I hate confrontation, even though I know this is nature. Maybe the male just decided to find a new site for he and his missus. Just like the raven at Edmonton did.
I will chose to think the best. Still not too late for a second clutch if they do have a new site.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2009, 14:08 »
It doesn't look like good news.  It appears that all of the videotapes have been reviewed and that the last time the male was seen was on the evening of the 27th.  There is a clip on the site now.  There is a final image with words that I don't know the meaning of but it appears that they are assuming that he is dead.   :'(  I don't know if the female is still around but if she is she hasn't been incubating the eggs.  There hasn't been any mention of the jackdaws being around during that time period but it was the day that one of the Kestrels had the confrontation with the dove in the nestbox. 

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2009, 14:00 »
Oh dear.....I was hoping I'd find good news in here. 

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2009, 22:54 »
I don't even want to think about that crow coming back.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2009, 21:52 »
Yeah, three days is a long time for no sightings of the male and I was wondering too why mama isn't incubating.  If there was to be a sixth egg I think it would have been laid by now.  Wonder what's going on??  We'll have to settle for never finding out I'm afraid.  Still want to stick my hand in that nest box thought and pull out a bunch of those branches.  Given that the dove was back in the nest yesterday or the day before makes me wonder whether the dove's and kestrel fought?  Didn't someone say a raven poked his head in again a few days ago?

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2009, 21:38 »
I have seen the female sit on the doorway of the nest box at times in their night. I have been worried that she did not start incubating yet but it seems that she was still laying eggs. Maybe the dove felt knew something we don't when she tried to sit on the eggs herself.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2009, 21:35 »
Boy I feel bad.  I've got my daughter hooked on falcon watching and then drew her in to this nest and she's anguishing over this now too.  Makes you almost wish the dove would come back and help out!  I saw the female approx 24 hours ago but absolutely nothing since. 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2009, 19:35 »
I hope he is still around...especially after everything that has happened at this site.  There are 5 unguarded eggs at this nestbox.  Let's all keep our fingers crossed! 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2009, 19:16 »
That's so sad, I hope he is still around.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2009, 19:13 »
Irenekl, I agree. I have been translating the observations for several weeks and it appears that they are monitoring both cams 24/7 to record observations.  I don't know if they have any observers "on the ground".  The male has not been seen here for 3 days.  I checked in many times today and only saw the 5 eggs, no adults.  It is possible that both adults are just outside of cam range and may reappear.  But I have to say that, especially in light of all that has gone on here it is worrying.  I hope that we will hear some positive information here soon.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2009, 18:08 »
Yes, they are monitoring via cam.  The male looks very different from the female.  Never a doubt which one you are seeing.  Almost daily the cam operators post clips from the past 24 hour period so I'm guessing they are going over the tapes of every hour.  Often they'll post activity from the night time.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2009, 18:01 »
First I'm not an European Kestrel expert and every bird has different tolerances, but generally, based on what I do know ...

Quick answer is: Without a partner, the female will not be able to feed five chicks and herself.  Kestrels (both ours and theirs) are very fast growing and need alot of food.  She might be able to keep herself, or herself and a couple of the chicks fed, but there is the problem of the first week to 10 days when the chicks can't thermoregulate - if she's out hunting the chicks may die of exposure, even in a nestbox.

Question - I haven't checked out the blog, but the "observers", are they watching day and night?  Are they watching in person or via the cam?  Are they able to tell the male from the female if he is coming back at dark to incubate?  We have had males at the Radisson who did almost no incubating and were very elusive - I spent days watching (in person on rooftops) and never saw the males anywhere near the nest/nestboxes.

Long answer is: the male may still be around just very elusive in which case there is nothing to worry about.  If he really is gone, the quick answer applies.

Does that help ...

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2009, 17:43 »
Tracy, can you provide any information on the ability of the female kestrel's ability to incubate and raise a hatch on her own?  Will she abandon this nest before even trying to incubate, if the male is indeed gone/dead?  Would she be stressed about his absence?  Alot of stress at the nest site from day one!  Upon converting the dutch blog text to english I read that the male has not been seen in 3 days.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2009, 15:15 »
Sometimes when we aer observing , they appear so quickly that we miss them. HOpefuly he is around . I guess I better watch a bit more. Not that I can make him appear :) :)

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2009, 07:21 »
 ;D Five eggs today which is probably a full clutch.  The observers there are a little concerned though that they haven't seen the male for more than 2 days which is apparently unusual at this stage.  Hopefully he is just out hunting and will show up soon.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2009, 15:15 »
LOL Lorianne!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2009, 13:01 »
Loriann ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2009, 11:25 »
Mrs. Dove would have a LOT of explaining to do to Mr. Dove when none of the kids had his nose.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2009, 11:11 »
that is just too priceless.  Can you imagine the doves  surprise when the eggs hatched. (that is if she had the chance to brood them :) :))

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2009, 20:22 »
I hope she gets the message that they are not her eggs though...Wouldn't want a peaceful dove to be somewhere she shouldn't be   ;)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2009, 20:19 »
I thought it was sweet when the dove sat on the eggs. Poor thing shot through the entrance like it had been launched from a cannon when the kistral returned.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2009, 19:59 »
Four eggs this morning.  ;D And the kestrels appear to be keeping closer watch after yesterday's little dustup with the dove who came into the nest.  It looked like the dove thought that her eggs had magically reappeared as she tried to brood them and was making some very interesting noises.  :(  There is a vieoclip from yesterday.  I noticed that the female was at the entrance after dark and is on guard today. 
Awe...poor thing  :(  Well at least she tried to brood them and not destroy them.  Hmmm, are doves capable of fostering?

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2009, 18:40 »
So it is dark there now and mama appear to be on guard.  Sitting at the entrance  :-*

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2009, 08:12 »
Four eggs this morning.  ;D And the kestrels appear to be keeping closer watch after yesterday's little dustup with the dove who came into the nest.  It looked like the dove thought that her eggs had magically reappeared as she tried to brood them and was making some very interesting noises.  :(  There is a vieoclip from yesterday.  I noticed that the female was at the entrance after dark and is on guard today. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2009, 15:57 »
Merlins here (mostly comparable to the kestrels in Europe) use old crows' nests here to nest in, they don't make their own so they have to usurp someone elses.  Means that the crows have to come in first, then the merlins can follow.  If the crows leave, the merlins will follow when the nests left behind deterioriate - merlins don't make repairs ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2009, 15:55 »
they say that years ago falcons used to nest in old raven nests so hopefully these twigs will not be a problem.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2009, 07:12 »
And now there are three eggs  ;D  The male is certainly a good provider.  Interesting to watch those videoclips of him bring in mice, house mice and something (?) that was almost as big as him.  The people living there must be happy that the kestrels were the ones that won out.

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2009, 21:38 »
There are 2 eggs now

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2009, 11:13 »
She is brooding

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2009, 20:37 »
I'm so happy for these two kestrels!  Too bad the nest is an absolute mess!  I hope the chicks will be okay navigating their way through that forest of sticks.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2009, 15:49 »
I just had a feeling and went to the cam.  Now that is bad ;D ;D

I watched the videos.
Cool!!!!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2009, 14:16 »
After all that's gone on here, it is a relief to finally see this egg. I guess that fuzzy thing was her but I couldn't for the life of me make it out. Bev, it must have been your 6th sense kicking in!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2009, 14:14 »
Oh yes,
thanks Maggie.I will go and check now. :-* :-*

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2009, 10:19 »
More good news here as there is an egg today.  :) So maybe that blurry image in the nest last night was the female getting ready to lay her first egg.  8)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2009, 19:04 »
I checked the site about 5 minutes ago and saw the same image...don't think anyone is sleeping there, but can't really tell.  Just looks distorted thanks to the mess those crows or ravens left.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2009, 17:18 »
I zoomed in as far as I could and I think this is just the area where the nest arranging was happening the other day. I see what you mean though. I often see them there early at about 11PM Winnipeg time which is I think about 6 AM in the Netherlands. There is a rooster that crows continuously at that time too.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2009, 16:51 »
I s it my imagination or is someone sleeping there tonight.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2009, 23:11 »
Did you see today's videos .  Great stuff. 
I am pulling for these 2. :-* :-*

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2009, 08:31 »
It is looking more and more like these 2 are ready to nest. She was arranging a nest at the far end of the box for a long time yesterday and is now sitting in that area. The site reports no eggs yesterday but they seem not too far off! Hopefully this will finally end up being a good ending after all their struggles.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2009, 15:43 »
one is outside in the dark guarding, I presume

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2009, 15:03 »
They have been spending a lot of time there. Things are looking very positive.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2009, 14:56 »
A couple of nice videos of Kestrels on april11

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2009, 15:37 »
Good news!
Perhaps this will be it for drama at the nestbox and it will be a happy ending!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2009, 13:57 »
One of the Kistrals is sitting at the entrance of the nest box preening right now. Looks like s(he) is guarding the entrance!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2009, 13:03 »
Good news that the kestrels have perhaps regained this nest.  Haven't been on that part of the site because I didn't want to see any more battles.  I wonder what's going to happen with all of that mess inside (unless it's gone?)  :o

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 12:16 »
Some good news here.  The updates from the past two days indicate that the kestels appear to have regained their nest.  I really didn't think that this was going to happen a few days ago. First the doves were spending a lot of time in there with the jackdaws visiting.  At one point the doves were terrified and glued to the opposite wall while the jackdaw guarded the entrance.  Then the doves didn't seem to be around but the jackdaws were there a lot together.  During this time I saw the kestrels making appearances on the outside but they appeared to be too nervous to go inside. I guess their persistence paid off.  Let's hope that this is the end of the drama.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 17:22 »
The kestrels have been hanging about the nest box recently and there is a clip from this morning with some "falcon love" so they may end up using this nest box. The crows haven't really been a presence here as much since the big scrum last weekend. Still hard to know who will end up "owning" this nest box.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2009, 22:23 »
Thanks for the help everyone, I'm hitting all your links to the info on kestrel's, etc.  Terriffic stuff.  I've been doing the translating thing at yahoo and "towering falcon" i guess was what was confirming that idea for me.  Was out at Oak Hammock today (freezing) and noticed a European bird book there but didn't think to look at the kestrel in there.  It seems I "want" it to be a falcon.  Funny.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 22:09 »
BirdCamFan - excellent suggestion!!  I'm going to try to find a way to incorporate that on our foreign language cams so folks know what their options are.

If anyone else has ideas like this related to peregrine (or torenvalk) cams, send me a pm!

The Peregrine Chick

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 21:53 »
Hey...great idea!!!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 21:52 »
The translation of Torenvalk is kind of cute "towering falcon". If anyone wants to translate the Dutch comments on the site, just google Dutch to English translation and cut and paste the comments into the translator. The translations come out to be rather entertaining but you get the gist of what is being discussed

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 21:49 »
If you are looking for Common Kestrel in your bird books, they need to be European bird books, they aren't here in North America.  The NA version is the smaller American Kestrel, similar in lots of ways though.  I gave a link to the Wikipedia site on an earlier post and the information there is really very good.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 19:33 »
Irenkl you have probably already read TPC's post about the differences between the European and North American Kestrels.
I hope that the following link works as I am trying to post the translated page from the Italian cams forum that has pictures that identify their female and male Kestrels, Rebecca and Nembo.  The male is paler and larger. Hope this helps.

http://translate.google.ca/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.birdcam.it%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D3899%26postdays%3D0%26postorder%3Dasc%26start%3D15&sl=it&tl=en

p.s. Rebecca just laid her first egg today  ;D

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 19:09 »
It's an European Kestrel and if my memory serves me correctly Tracy did say that they are bigger than our Kestrels.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 18:36 »
Oh man, look how long that took me!  I thought I could get here from the opening page of the Forum.  (don't ask)   Anyway, thank you so much.  I'm here now and got it through a much more civilized way with your help.

back to my falcon identification issue.  I'll have to see them all again and snap a picture.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 18:13 »
Really?  Why am I not convinced.  I'm looking at my bird books here and the books agree with me.  Hmmm.  Is the larger kestrel all white with black and the smaller has the peachy/taupe/brown (whatever)? And which is male/female?  (according to you guys as opposed to my books)??

And, can you believe this.....I can't find my way to this Netherland thread unless I accidently stumble upon it after searching all over.  Is there a quick way someone can help me with.  Yeah, I've got lots of problems!
It's under Other Peregrines:
~ European
~ Netherlands

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 18:12 »
Path to thread:

Other Peregrine Projects
          » European Peregrines 
                » Netherlands
                     » Netherlands - Raven Invasion

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 18:08 »
Really?  Why am I not convinced.  I'm looking at my bird books here and the books agree with me.  Hmmm.  Is the larger kestrel all white with black and the smaller has the peachy/taupe/brown (whatever)? And which is male/female?  (according to you guys as opposed to my books)??

And, can you believe this.....I can't find my way to this Netherland thread unless I accidently stumble upon it after searching all over.  Is there a quick way someone can help me with.  Yeah, I've got lots of problems!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 18:04 »
It was the kestrel involved in that fight with the crow.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 18:02 »
I believe it was a Kestrel and the crow involved in that fight.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 18:00 »
Tracy can you tell me have you seen a falcon at this nest in the Netherlands?  I swear the fight I saw the other night was a falcon. Totally white with black specks in colour.  It sat in outside on the ledge for a long time after the fight so I had a very good look at it.  Quite a bit bigger than the kestrel.  Definately was not the kestrel. I have seen the doves, the kestrel and the ravens of course.  Are we in agreement on this?   Curious.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 13:47 »
I have no idea why I watched the battle between the kestrel and the raven...looked like the raven got a few good hits on this poor little kestrel.  I hate territorial disputes!!
I don't know what happened to the kestrel after the fight inside the nestbox, but it still looks like they are fighting for this nest  :'(

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 12:25 »
I noticed that, Tracy that these were kestrels. My heart just borle watching the two. I had to turn it off.

boy, I think this box will be empty this year.

the owl was smart to take off. 

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 10:43 »
Earlier today there were 2 doves hanging out for a couple of hours. All has been quiet since.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 10:24 »
1025 hrs (Winnipeg time) - box has twigs but no occupants of any species, they are 6-8 hours ahead of us, so everyone could be off killing their dinner ...

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 00:57 »
O.K. So, I just watched this site for the first time  :o and Holy Moly, it is like watching a horror movie.  One crow (jackdaw?) in the nestbox), a beautiful and extremely nervous Kestrel at the entrance and eventually attacked and replaced by another crow. Then 2 crows in the nestbox scratching around, stirrring up feathers, feathers flying, whose feathers, doves perhaps? And outside there are dove sounds and someone walking a huge dog.  No end of action.  No wonder people are talking about this site.  :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 23:21 »
Just as a little note here, y'all know that a torenvalk is a kestrel - here they are the American Kestrels (or sparrowhawks) and they are smaller than the European variety.  European kestrels are the size of our Merlins while European Merlins are the size of American Kestrels.

That is also why the nestbox is in such demand - both Common (or European) and American Kestrels are cavity nesters, they use holes in trees, buildings and nestboxes (wood duck boxes here) to nest in.  They are not the only birds that like this kind of structure - the owl, 'cause they are cavity nesters, the doves for the security, the crows because anywhere save that they (being big birds) can access is a good site.

Common Kestrel links that may be of interest ...
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Kestrel
- http://www.raptorfoundation.org.uk/kestrel.html
- Google Images results for the Common Kestrel

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 21:50 »
Well Bev, let's all just hope that this will have a happy ending for everyone and every bird!!!
I don't want to take away the chance for the Ravens to lay eggs and more importantly, I want the falcons to nest at this site plus....I don't want any territorial fighting!!!  Is that too much to ask?  I hope not!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 21:33 »
this is what I do not want to see happen in Edmonton.Fighting in the nest boxes is just nasty. Out in the open is one thing but they are trapped in the nest box.
I know I have seen it in Edmonton???? :o :o

thanks for the post.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 21:07 »
I think this is the one everyone is discussing....

http://www.beleefdelente.nl/torenvalk

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 20:58 »
where is this site. not that I want to watch violence but i am very curious

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 07:43 »
Good lord, I just took a look at the site, what a mess this box is!  No sign of any birds of any type though...I wonder if the falcon and raven that were fighting both survived. 

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 06:36 »
Pretty violent! There was also a small owl poking around in the nest box yesterday!

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 00:40 »
There is a pretty rough battle going on in the nest. Started right about 12:30.  Neither the falcon nor the raven will give up.  Horrible!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 19:35 »
TPC-good idea to move this. Thank you.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 05:08 »
Sorry! Doves, crows, and falcons sharing of a nest box are in Noord Brabant, Netherlands. I won't post anything more about it on this thread. It was a related story of nest take over which is why it ended up being discussed here.  Sorry if it caused any confusion.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 23:39 »
On a positive note, it seems that the 2 doves have again been present in the nest box, the crows are still visiting and both of the falcons were there today too.
Heck, how did I miss doves?  And that the PFs are back?  I've only read about the current nest-building.   Sorry to rain on any parades! 

Liz, I'm getting confused. 
We have only ravens nest building here in the U of A nest box, right? 
This thread also has details and pics from the Netherlands nest box involved with takeovers involving doves and crows, and now returned peregrines? 

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 22:29 »
On a positive note, it seems that the 2 doves have again been present in the nest box, the crows are still visiting and both of the falcons were there today too.
Heck, how did I miss doves?  And that the PFs are back?  I've only read about the current nest-building.   Sorry to rain on any parades! 

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 20:53 »
On a positive note, it seems that the 2 doves have again been present in the nest box, the crows are still visiting and both of the falcons were there today too. It is going to be interesting to see who gets control of this nest box. These birds all seem to have a very strong nesting instinct and aren't being easily dissuaded from nest building at this site.

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 20:19 »
The crows that invaded the (dove) nest in Netherlands took advantage of the dove leaving the nest and destroyed her eggs. Very sad to watch. They even took the shells out of the nestbox. The note below the cam notes that the falcons (torenvalk) that normally use the nest are also still hanging around chasing the crows away. The nestbox is now empty.

I'm not sure which site this is, birdcamfan? Perhaps it is Beleef de Lente, where jackdaws moved in and took over the nest?

They must be birds of opportunity...they did the same thing to a kestrel nest in Poland last year...I found myself screaming at my monitor as they removed one egg after another...the kestrels never returned...

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:43 »
Thanks, I learn something new here every day! Everyone is so generous with their knowledge.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 07:36 »
Yes it was pretty gross to see. (My translator calls them crows)

Jackdaws (Corvus monedula) are one of the smallest members of the crow family. The Dutch for jackdaws is "Kauwen".

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 05:50 »
Yes it was pretty gross to see. (My translator calls them crows)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:46 »
The crows that invaded the (dove) nest in Netherlands took advantage of the dove leaving the nest and destroyed her eggs. Very sad to watch. They even took the shells out of the nestbox. The note below the cam notes that the falcons (torenvalk) that normally use the nest are also still hanging around chasing the crows away. The nestbox is now empty.

I'm not sure which site this is, birdcamfan? Perhaps it is Beleef de Lente, where jackdaws moved in and took over the nest?