Author Topic: Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente  (Read 23311 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 20:58 »
where is this site. not that I want to watch violence but i am very curious

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 07:43 »
Good lord, I just took a look at the site, what a mess this box is!  No sign of any birds of any type though...I wonder if the falcon and raven that were fighting both survived. 

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 06:36 »
Pretty violent! There was also a small owl poking around in the nest box yesterday!

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 00:40 »
There is a pretty rough battle going on in the nest. Started right about 12:30.  Neither the falcon nor the raven will give up.  Horrible!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 19:35 »
TPC-good idea to move this. Thank you.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 05:08 »
Sorry! Doves, crows, and falcons sharing of a nest box are in Noord Brabant, Netherlands. I won't post anything more about it on this thread. It was a related story of nest take over which is why it ended up being discussed here.  Sorry if it caused any confusion.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 23:39 »
On a positive note, it seems that the 2 doves have again been present in the nest box, the crows are still visiting and both of the falcons were there today too.
Heck, how did I miss doves?  And that the PFs are back?  I've only read about the current nest-building.   Sorry to rain on any parades! 

Liz, I'm getting confused. 
We have only ravens nest building here in the U of A nest box, right? 
This thread also has details and pics from the Netherlands nest box involved with takeovers involving doves and crows, and now returned peregrines? 

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 22:29 »
On a positive note, it seems that the 2 doves have again been present in the nest box, the crows are still visiting and both of the falcons were there today too.
Heck, how did I miss doves?  And that the PFs are back?  I've only read about the current nest-building.   Sorry to rain on any parades! 

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 20:53 »
On a positive note, it seems that the 2 doves have again been present in the nest box, the crows are still visiting and both of the falcons were there today too. It is going to be interesting to see who gets control of this nest box. These birds all seem to have a very strong nesting instinct and aren't being easily dissuaded from nest building at this site.

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 20:19 »
The crows that invaded the (dove) nest in Netherlands took advantage of the dove leaving the nest and destroyed her eggs. Very sad to watch. They even took the shells out of the nestbox. The note below the cam notes that the falcons (torenvalk) that normally use the nest are also still hanging around chasing the crows away. The nestbox is now empty.

I'm not sure which site this is, birdcamfan? Perhaps it is Beleef de Lente, where jackdaws moved in and took over the nest?

They must be birds of opportunity...they did the same thing to a kestrel nest in Poland last year...I found myself screaming at my monitor as they removed one egg after another...the kestrels never returned...

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:43 »
Thanks, I learn something new here every day! Everyone is so generous with their knowledge.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 07:36 »
Yes it was pretty gross to see. (My translator calls them crows)

Jackdaws (Corvus monedula) are one of the smallest members of the crow family. The Dutch for jackdaws is "Kauwen".

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 05:50 »
Yes it was pretty gross to see. (My translator calls them crows)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:46 »
The crows that invaded the (dove) nest in Netherlands took advantage of the dove leaving the nest and destroyed her eggs. Very sad to watch. They even took the shells out of the nestbox. The note below the cam notes that the falcons (torenvalk) that normally use the nest are also still hanging around chasing the crows away. The nestbox is now empty.

I'm not sure which site this is, birdcamfan? Perhaps it is Beleef de Lente, where jackdaws moved in and took over the nest?