Author Topic: Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente  (Read 22550 times)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2009, 08:16 »
Does anyone know-If this had been an endangered species such as a peregrine nest, at what point would the biologist have intervened and pulled the eggs out to artificially incubate?

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2009, 08:07 »
I'm glad to hear that the kestrel has been seen there. I looked on and off all night (up studying) and only saw the dove. She looks very content there right now trying to sleep at the entrance of the nest box. I was worried that her comfort level at the box might mean that the kestrels were nowhere around. Even though this nest box has been very upsetting at times for me to watch, it has, by the same token been fascinating to see the varying birds try to claim it as theirs.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2009, 07:41 »
Both the dove and the female kestrel have been sitting at the nestbox entrance today (at different times).  The dove looks very nervous.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2009, 23:46 »
Mrs dove is there again nervously looking in the box. After about 10 minutes, she has entered and "rearranged the furniture" so that she could get her big butt on to the eggs. It was amazing that she went right to the eggs again. It's almost like she thinks they are hers.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2009, 23:21 »
After that video I saw today of her and this new man...I have hope!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2009, 18:51 »
The dutch forum seems to think that if she incubates soon there may still be hope. Can we not forget how long Scout left that one egg last year and every egg hatched.  so let us pray for a wee bit of success here.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2009, 18:24 »
It is interesting isn't it? I saw her a few times today but no incubating. Perhaps TPC will know, is it too late for these eggs to begin incubation?
If I understand TPC's comments from yesterday correctly, she is done with the present clutch, but there is hope, as she has been at the territory, and if she can find a new male she can have another clutch.  The sighting today provides hope that this situation can still have a happy ending.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2009, 14:37 »
It is interesting isn't it? I saw her a few times today but no incubating. Perhaps TPC will know, is it too late for these eggs to begin incubation?

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2009, 13:43 »
A different male made a visit to the nestbox today.  There is a clip from today with a title that translates as New Man? So perhaps the female hasn't been around much because she has been out looking for a new mate.  Stay tuned.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2009, 07:07 »
Kestrel was sitting at the nest entrance several times through the night but never saw her go into the nest. She seemed content to sit and preen on the platform. This is so disappointing. I was even hoping last night that the dove would go and sit on the eggs.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2009, 06:35 »
Dove back at the nest 6:30am winnipeg time.  Cautiously peeking into the nest and just generally hanging around.  Left on it's own initiative.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2009, 01:06 »
A very brave (or stupid) dove was back again sitting at the nest ledge looking nervously into the nest box for a long time. She was chased away by the female kestrel who promptly left. I'm glad to see the kestrel is still around but she shows no signs of brooding yet.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2009, 20:12 »
The dutch blog says they think there may be one more egg to come.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2009, 19:56 »
I am really hoping that this female will find a mate.  After everthing that has gone on here this year I am really hoping for some good news.   ???  And while I am on the Good topic, has anyone here watced the Good Neighbours on PBS?  I saw an episode a couple of weeks ago and although this series must be 30 years old I had a big belly laugh  ;D ;D ;D something that I think we all need these days   

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2009, 18:33 »
Can't say what a) falcons "know" or b) what this female "knows".  If she isn't incubating for more than a couple of hours, she is probably done with this clutch for the year.  I just checked the cam and she is sitting outside the nestbox so she may not yet be done with the territory which might (might) bode well for a second clutch if she can find an unattached male.