Author Topic: Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente  (Read 23312 times)

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2016, 09:16 »
I noticed that, too. :'( They were fun to watch.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2016, 08:03 »
No Kestrels this year :'(

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2016, 19:14 »
For those interested Beleef de Lente is up and running.  Several of the cams are on as the various birds arrive back at the nests.  The falcons are back here as well!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2015, 00:51 »

I remember watching that video dupre, and it was scary! I was so thankful when the owls left.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2015, 13:03 »
I am going to recommend the Kestrel camera they have on the Beleef de Lente site. The live feed is done for the year, but they have a great summary video dated 01 aug 2015. The video is about 6:49 long, but at the 3:28 mark you can see that there was a nighttime visit by a pair of owls. The one owl seemed particularly interested in the 5 sleeping chicks and looked about to hop down into the nest box. Just glad this ended well for all of them.

http://www.beleefdelente.nl/vogel/torenvalk

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2014, 11:39 »
This camera will be shut down in a day or two, I think, but they have a couple of great summary videos posted - March/April, and May/June - with a lovely farewell and close-up of a parent in the last one (have a tissue on hand). There is also a short video of one of the chicks playing in a puddle on June 16 entitled,  "AAB op het dak". The cuteness factor is fairly high. :-*

http://www.beleefdelente.nl/vogel/slechtvalk

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2014, 11:18 »
This was an excellent nest to observe.  I'm going to miss these guys.

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2014, 11:04 »
This has been a great little family to observe. The parents must have depleted the mouse and lizard population to feed the 6 chicks - over 1,000 prey at the last count, according to the clips.   :o The parents were very fierce when the crows were around. It has been a pleasure to watch as the chicks developed. I hope they all do well.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2014, 09:27 »
All six kids have fledged.  The clips showing the last one leaving are fun to watch as he watches all siblings leave, then one comes back as if to encourage, which he does successfully.  All six fledglings have been spotted, hanging around the area and the parents are feeding and protecting them as furiously, if not more so than when they were in the nest.  It's been lovely to watch this family grow and thrive :-*

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2014, 12:57 »
Here are a few shots of the wee ones.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2014, 12:38 »
If you check out the clip "13 jun 2014 Ringen" you can see one of the chicks being banded.

They put a clear barrier to the outside then access the chicks. At the end you can see one of the parents outside seperated from the chicks by the clear barrier.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2014, 19:36 »
Holy Moly!!  I haven't looked at these guys since the weekend and they've suddenly gotten their big bird feathers! :o

I posted this quickly from work and didn't specify that it was the wee Kestrals I was talking about ::)

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2014, 19:23 »
these guys have fledged and there are some clips of them zipping around the nest box. On the same Beleef de Lente site, the kestrels cam has 6 larges chicks that will likely fledge soon, very cute http://www.beleefdelente.nl/vogel/torenvalk

They are very adept at flying and landing. I notice, too, that there are usually at least a couple or maybe all of them back in the nest box at night. I wonder if it is because it is the only tall structure around? I don't recall that the Manitoba birds return to the nest box very often after they fledge.

The kestrels are a hoot, grabbing food and swallowing it whole (with a sand lizard tail hanging out of a beak  ;D), and scooting backwards around the nest. And it is interesting to watch "Ma" defend the nest by fluffing out her feathers when the crows bother them. She looks quite fierce.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2014, 19:14 »
Wow! They are big! :o All 4 seem to have returned to the nest box for the night. 3 are sleeping and 1 is acting as a night watchman, I guess. LOL! ;)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2014, 16:05 »
Holy Moly!!  I haven't looked at these guys since the weekend and they've suddenly gotten their big bird feathers! :o