Author Topic: ON / Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital - 2009-21  (Read 9989 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Mount Sinai - 2010 / ? & Wind
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 17:21 »
!!! EXCITING NEWS AT MOUNT SINAI
March 31, 2010 - Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital
Jan Chudy Reports:
I have been frequently observing two adults at Mount Sinai over the past few weeks.  Sometimes they were on the south ledges and somtimes on the east ledges.  Earlier today, Linda Woods advised that she was observing one of the birds from a vantage point to the east of the hospital and that it appeared to be exhibiting incubation behaviour.  Through the course of the morning, I watched the bird through my telescope in First Canadian Place.  At approximately 12:15 the bird was on the edge of the ledge and I am 99% certain I could see an egg towards the back of the ledge - this is the maximumn distance for my scope.  I checked the view several times and still believe we have an egg.  As I submit this report at 3:10, an adult is back down on the egg and the second adult is sitting on the edge of the  ledge two slots to the south.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Ontario / Toronto - Mount Sinai - 2010 / ? & Wind
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 14:55 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

Two peregrines, assumed to be the resident pair, have been at the hospital since January.  No positive identification yet however.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Mount Sinai - 2009 / ? & Wind
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 00:17 »
Thanks  for e-mailing me Carly. I am so happy, I could cry. I have goosebumps.
Mark will be happy also.

this has made me so happy today. After loosing an eaglet at Delta , I was a bit upset today but this is the best :-* :-*

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2009, 20:57 »
sigh  another one returns!  :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2009, 20:12 »
Heh..sorry Eagle was amending post then after I hit post, saw your question.  Wind was the female at the Sheraton hotel a few years back.  She was much loved here by all the volunteers especially Linda whose post if you read harkens back to another time when Wind chased her down the street for taking a picture of her chicks way back when...lol..poor gir, what a way to find out your lost falcon is now found!

She was one of Windwhistler's mates.  WW is the two timing male who had 2 nest sites going - he was the male at both the King St nest site and the Sheraton hotel.  I wasn't around then but I've heard the tales, they are legend here amongst the volunteers who were around back then.

No one knows what happened to Windwhistler..no sign of him for a few years.  Tiago, the current male at Sheraton and mate of Rhea Mae is Windwhistler's son.  Not sure if it's his son with Mandy or Wind.  He's had a few mates ...

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2009, 19:53 »
Refresh my sad memory and tell me who exactly Wind is?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 19:44 »
Great, great news!!!  It's Wind - confirmed!!!

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2009/06/sightings/wind-in-our-face-wind-at-our-backwe-have-seen-the-wind/

On, I wonder who the male is..could it be windwhistler ??!!  Or does she have a new beau!!  For those who don't know, Wind was displaced by Rhea Mae (Mariah's daughter) at the Sheraton 2 years ago so very happy to see her alive and well!!  No one knew for sure and the worst was feared so it's a happy, happy day here!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 19:53 by carly »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2009, 00:13 »
Great news here, too long to past so I'll post the link: Is it Wind or Ranger (both Rochester females!!!)??!!

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2009/05/sightings/incubation-of-at-least-two-if-not-three-eggs-observed-wind-or-ranger-may-be-the-territorial-adult-female/

Wow!!!. I sure hope it is Wind.  I loved that female. I cried th e day  we realized that Rhea Mea had pushed her out. I i did not  know she was one of Mariahs. 
I also watcheD Rhea being hatched and fledged. It was a hard season.

Tht would be so wonderful. :) :)
Mark must be smiling from here to Timbucktwo. I  will have to e-mail him. When he e-mailed me  about Wind  the year she was edged out we were both in tears.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:09 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 18:30 »
You'll always find peregrines in close proximity to major water - oceans, lakes, major rivers .... All our sites are within spitting (virtually literally) distance of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 14:06 »
Yes definitely.  Eglington is further north of Bloor and King, Sheraton and Mt Sania are all south of Bloor near the lake area.  I used to live up at Yonge and Eg years ago, nice area but over crowded with condos now :(.  Great shopping though, I still go up there to shop!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 14:01 »
I meant, a lot closer to the lake than Eglinton.  :D Or am I just confusing myself?  LOL

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 13:53 »
Well all three are near Lake Ontario.  All three sites are parallel to each other and run down to the lake.  King is only 2 or 3 blocks from the lake..because all you see is towers down there, you tend to forget that!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 13:49 »
By Mt. Sinai?  That's almost at the lake, isn't it? 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 13:46 »
Yes the Canadian Tire building is North and West...good memory!!  Not sure who is there this year, seems to be falcons all over the place this Spring!!  If you want to see peregrines fledging I'd head downtown to King Street area as there are 2 nest sites down there within blocks of each other where there are 8 eyases in total...all will fledging around that time!!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 13:37 »
carly, every summer I find myself at Yonge & Eglinton.  It never occurred to me to look up!  I get into TO on June 28 -- where should I head to?  I'm making my way to Newmarket, but am happy to go into town and take the YRT/Viva from there.  : ))  The Cdn Tire bldg is north and the west side, no?  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 13:48 by Liz »