Author Topic: ON / Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital - 2009-21  (Read 10264 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Mount Sinai - 2009 / ? & Wind
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 13:15 »
Great news here, too long to past so I'll post the link: Is it Wind or Ranger (both Rochester females!!!)??!!

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2009/05/sightings/incubation-of-at-least-two-if-not-three-eggs-observed-wind-or-ranger-may-be-the-territorial-adult-female/

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 20:58 »
Hey Carly, too strong is as poor for vision as too weak.  You will be so pleased to have your eagle eyes with the correct glasses prescription!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 19:07 »
Lol at least you noticed the date  :P  Did I mention I ordered new glasses last week?  New ones should be arriving toward the end of this week, apparently the last prescription they gave me is too strong for me - you think???   ;D ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 19:05 »
I read that update on the CPF site too, Carly, and I noticed the date - it didn't seem to belong with the new updates.  ???

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 17:00 »
Disregard my previous post, I just realized that they somehow misposted something from 2002...not sure what is going on there but I was so excited I didn't see the date until now...*sigh*   Really need to look before I leap!  Probably they were reactivating the site from mothballs..

On the plus side it means it's probably still Rachel and Hunter there...really we need more people on the ground!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 09:45 »
Uh-oh, it's not Rachel and Hunter - where have they gone  :'( :'(  And guess who reappears but Windwhistler..lol..he is Marco's brother and Mr Romeo!!  Happy to hear he's still around!!

Monday March 11, 2002
Linda Woods reports: 06:45 Windwhistler on the east side of Mount Sinai, 2nd ledge and Mandy on the 7th ledge cleaning prey.  07:15 Both adults on the 2nd ledge, east side Mount Sinai.

Marcel Gahbauer reports: Last week, CPF director Mark Nash built a nest tray for installation on the east side of Mount Sinai Hospital.  This morning, several of us gathered to put it in place.  Representing the Canadian Peregrine Foundation were Mark, myself, Linda Woods, and Bruce Massey.  Providing us access and assistance on behalf of Mount Sinai were Simon Stengs, Manager of Building Operations, and Alan Roy, Project Manager of Building Services.  The most critical member of our team was Brett Harris from Solar, who climbed down from the roof to the nest ledge and installed the tray for us.

After assembling, we brought the tray and six 18-kg bags of gravel to the roof, while Brett assembled his gear.  In the midst of this activity, Mark was whisked away to CBC radio to do an interview on Lightning, as well as our activities at Mount Sinai - it was a hectic morning to say the least!  As we prepared our gear on the roof, both Windwhistler and Mandy came in to inspect us briefly - Mandy flew overhead several times then headed off to the east, while Windwhistler actually perched at the southeast corner of the roof for a few minutes to observe before flying away to the southeast.

By around 9:30 we were in action, lowering the nest tray to Brett for placement on the third ledge from the north end of Mount Sinai (on the east side).  We had discovered earlier that there is a vent along this ledge which allows air from inside the building to exit - this source of warmth may account for the peregrines preferring these perches during the winter.  The box was placed away from the vents, so that it will not be an issue when the weather turns warmer.

As we prepared to lower the gravel, we realized it was coarser than we had expected.  As we stood at the edge of the roof contemplating what to do, we spied a large pile of gravel at the construction site across the road.  Alan grabbed a pail and agreed to go down to investigate and bring back some of the gravel if it was of an appropriate type.  As luck would have it, the gravel was small and smoothly rounded - an ideal substrate for the peregrines to nest in.

While at the ledge, and also on his descent past a lower ledge, Brett observed some of the prey remains left behind by the peregrines.  Not surprisingly, pigeons were the most common, but other species were represented too.  One long-beaked individual may have been a woodcock.

We are hoping that the peregrines will soon inspect and adopt their new nest tray, and that it will help contribute to a successful nesting season.  Photos from the installation will be added to the website within the next week.  Our thanks to Simon Stengs and Alan Roy for taking time out of their busy schedules to help us with the installation, and to Brett Harris for doing the job none of us envied - descending to the nest ledge to put the tray in place while the rest of us enjoyed the safety of the roof.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 16:38 »
Oh update on the Yonge & Bloor from Harry on the mystery pair..the female is a 'sub-adult'.  He is working on getting a band ID next..oh I wonder if it's one of ours  ;D

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 16:41 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 15:46 »
CPF is reporting sightings of a peregrine pair at Yonge & Bloor the past few days.  That is interesting because that is where Rachel and Hunter moved to last year.

So the question now is did they move to Mt Sanai as has been suspected or are they still at Yonge & Bloor and if not who is the new pair??  Nice to have this dilema for a change  ;)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 10:24 »
I know they have wanted to try and put in foster chicks with this pair and it is still on the table, I've asked about it already again this year. 

TPC is right - they do keep discarding their eggs - they can't even get them to do an analysis on them and they have tried several times in the past.  They also keep moving sites quite quickly, no doubt to see if they will have better luck elsewhere.

The last place they were at I believe didn't have a nestbox however maybe, maybe now that they've chosen a site with a nestbox with a cooperative and enthusiastic landlord...we may have better luck.  IF..they decide to nest and at least we know where they are earlier in the game this time. 

The good news Bev is that everyone is willing to make it happen if and when the opportunities arise!  Keep your talons crossed for them!!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 10:09 »
I do not know why they cannot put in porcelain eggs like they do here if none are produced naturally and then foster in a chick or two later. that would be cool!!!!! 

The pair usually needs to be hopped up on hormones and trying to nest before the egg trick will work.  They have to have a nest site, need to be scraping and copulating is best - basically, they should be in "expecting" mode for the trick to have a chance of working.  You also have to have access to chicks about the right age at the time the dummy eggs are slated to hatch - and chicks aren't that easy to source any more.  Last concern is that peregrines know when there are problems with their eggs - how many times have we watched eggs discarded by experienced adults and I believe Rachel and Hunter would qualify.  So, not such a straight-forward quick fix I'm afraid. 

Ooops, and some birds will take to dummy eggs and some won't ...

Going to be interesting to watch what happens here !!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 09:56 »
I do not know why they cannot put in porcelain eggs like they do here if none are produced naturally and then foster in a chick or two later. that would be cool!!!!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 20:04 »
Aww..they think it may be Rachel and Hunter who moved in.  One is Mariahs'' offspring from years ago, they've never had a successful nest - I'd like to see some eyases put in for them to foster!!!  They deserve it after all these years and they are still together!! 

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2009/04/sightings/two-new-residents-non-medical/

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 14:43 »
lol yeah they move to the BIG smoke lmao

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 14:24 »
Hey.. just like George and Weezie the ravens.. they are 'movin' on up..

Lol!  ;D

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 14:15 »
Hey.. just like George and Weezie the ravens.. they are 'movin' on up..