Author Topic: State Capitol - 2009 / 19K & Alley  (Read 24311 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: State Capitol - 2009 / 19/K & Alley
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2009, 16:21 »
One of the parents at the nest box again today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2009, 19:59 »
I hope they will accept the new nest box. Meantime, one parent visited the nest box at least a couple of times today:

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2009, 17:57 »
I do hope the new nestbox will work out for them if they decide to use it...I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2009, 12:46 »
Alley and 19/K do like this nestbox, going to be interesting to see what they think of the new one next year!  And it will be interesting to see the "new" view!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2009, 20:10 »
Haven't seen any of the juvies for a few days, but both parents were at the nest today, strengthening their pair bond. Since the nest was in deep shade, they are not very easy to see.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2009, 00:27 »
Was wondering if there's any news of that juvie that didn't look well in the photos, Alison?

I haven't heard anything, Kinderchick. I think he is probably okay. If he were ill he would be more likely to be fluffed out, and he would look less alert; his eyes would be less bright. This little guy looked alert and interested in what was going on. I think, hopefully, he just needed a meal. Heat might also have been a factor - it was 85 degrees in Lincoln that day, which would make it more likely for him to hold his feathers tight against his body.  I didn't see any juvies at the nest today, but as LinderLou mentioned, a parent spent several hours there:

My goodness, that is a heatwave!  :P No wonder he looked the way he did! Thanks for the reassurance, Alison! :D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2009, 20:26 »
Was wondering if there's any news of that juvie that didn't look well in the photos, Alison?

I haven't heard anything, Kinderchick. I think he is probably okay. If he were ill he would be more likely to be fluffed out, and he would look less alert; his eyes would be less bright. This little guy looked alert and interested in what was going on. I think, hopefully, he just needed a meal. Heat might also have been a factor - it was 85 degrees in Lincoln that day, which would make it more likely for him to hold his feathers tight against his body.  I didn't see any juvies at the nest today, but as LinderLou mentioned, a parent spent several hours there:

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2009, 16:30 »

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2009, 15:36 »
Checked the site out around 2:50 pm and saw a parent in the nest. Looked the one you showed the other day, Alley. Was sitting on the nest ledge and just looking around. At one point head was turning every which way, so don't know what it was watching. It was still there at 3:30pm.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2009, 22:13 »
Even in the last photo, hard to tell, looks like alot of space between his talons and his breast/belly. Still will wait and see what happens and am sure that his family will see to his needs if required. Keep us posted with pics if you can. Thanks so much.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2009, 22:08 »
From your photos, Alison, it's difficult to tell if that juvie is ill or not. But I'm sure one of the parents would feed him, if he was unable to hunt. Please keep us posted, if you hear anything.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2009, 21:49 »
Saw your pics on the Woodmen's as well and it could well be the cam. Too bad you only had the two pics of the Lincoln one from the same angle. Had a look on the cam today but didn't see anyone, not surprising, but wouldn't know who is who anyway. Anyway tks for checking in.

LinderLou, I had actually saved nine pics of the juvie, who just didn't move much while he was at the nest. I only posted a couple because they were so similar, but here are more of the pics in case they might give a better idea:

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2009, 14:13 »
Saw your pics on the Woodmen's as well and it could well be the cam. Too bad you only had the two pics of the Lincoln one from the same angle. Had a look on the cam today but didn't see anyone, not surprising, but wouldn't know who is who anyway. Anyway tks for checking in.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2009, 18:25 »
So that second photo is a parent also?  Well then now I don't feel so bad as she looks long and lean in that second shot...actually she looks like that juvie..the body shape I mean and she's the female so if the cam can make her look that slim...maybe it did so for the boy??! 

Yes, the photos are all of the same bird - I watched her as she stayed for a while, looking quite contented. I don't know for sure if this is Alley - TPC knows better than I do which parent is which.

I'll be posting some pics of a Woodmen juvie - and in certain pics he/she looked very slim too.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2009, 18:15 »
So that second photo is a parent also?  Well then now I don't feel so bad as she looks long and lean in that second shot...actually she looks like that juvie..the body shape I mean and she's the female so if the cam can make her look that slim...maybe it did so for the boy??!