Author Topic: Canada Geese - Alberta / Edmonton  (Read 28234 times)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Canada Geese - Alberta / Edmonton (2013)
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2013, 21:15 »
A wicked windstorm destroyed the nest and crushed the five eggs today. :'(  Mother Goose, Patience, was not hurt and might start another nest according to the Edmonton Journal website.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2013, 22:21 »
Patience is looking a little bored, and not tired at all.  She just got up and counted her eggs, and yes, all five were still there, no change.  No sign of dad this time around, but I expect that he will show up before the night is out.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #192 on: April 23, 2013, 10:38 »
It is going to be a long way down, when the chicks leave the nest!  Their little wings will really get a workout.

I can hear mom and dad honking up a storm right now, so something has set them off.  Oh, I see mom just returned to the nest, so I guess all is well, and she and dad were just having a lengthy conversation.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #191 on: April 23, 2013, 10:27 »
Mother Goose (Patience) is on the nest right now. According to the website, this year, she chose the highest location yet. She is nested 4 meters up off the ground on a bale in a covered shed of a farmer's property... She has just left her nest and I seem to count 5 eggs right now, but there could be more.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2013, 13:52 »
For those wanting to go direct to the webcam, here is another link ...

GooseCam 2013

Mother goose is sound aslep on the nest, wind blowing her feathers and some of hte looser straw but she looks pretty solid and she's not being disturbed by it all.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #189 on: April 21, 2013, 11:23 »
Late last night, Patience and Father Goose were sleeping side by side, with the wind here practically rocking them off the hay bales.  Everything was o.k., though, and the male is off this morning doing his rounds, keeping the grounds safe from all intruders.  Male geese, especially, do not seem to be shy about defending their territory, fom what I have seen.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #188 on: April 20, 2013, 23:03 »
The Goose Cam is back up and running, with mom, Patience, sitting on five eggs...

Thanks for letting us know, Elaine. :-* I was actually going to ask you if you knew when it would be up & running. I checked a few weeks ago and the webcam was not on yet.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #187 on: April 20, 2013, 14:59 »
Thanks Elaine!  Man, it looks windy there - almost blowing parent off the nest :o

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #186 on: April 20, 2013, 12:31 »
The Goose Cam is back up and running, with mom, Patience, sitting on five eggs.  Dad is around in the background, close by.  Here is the link:

Edmonton Journal GooseCam

From TPC: correction to URL address
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 13:46 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Canada Geese - Alberta / Edmonton (2012)
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2012, 20:14 »
There's a beautiful video of Mama & Papa Goose and their little goslings at the following link...

Watch Edmonton Journal Goosecam

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2012, 09:54 »
Thanks for the reminder, KC!  I tuned in last night just as the family was getting ready to leave the nest and I was able to see them pack their bags and leave.  It's amazing that the babies are so mobile right after hatching!

I've seen quite a few goslings around the city these past few days and a friend took some great pictures of goose families at St. Vital Park this past weekend. :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 20:32 by susha »

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2012, 09:43 »
Coincidentally, I watched a mama and papa goose supervise their goslings at my riverbank this morning just as the sun was coming up. I thought it was early in the season for there to be goslings, but obviously not! It was lovely to watch though especially after the havoc of the wind and rain last night.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2012, 22:02 »
It was a wonderful treat to see that whole family for the last time, hear them "goose talk" to each other, then watch them leave the nest!  Gotta love and respect nature! 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2012, 21:39 »
And now they are gone! Sure glad I got to see them for a little while. Very sweet! :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2012, 20:36 »
Edmonton Journal Goose Cam shows 4 little goslings that hatched sometime this morning. :D Mama Goose appears as if she's getting ready to lead them away with her. She is standing up and appears to be looking around, getting ready to go, but no, now she's laying down in her nest again, with her little brood.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/technology/Live+Watch+Journal+Goosecam/6454577/story.html