Author Topic: Canada Geese - Alberta / Edmonton  (Read 28687 times)

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Canada Geese - Alberta / Edmonton (2009)
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 12:35 »
People do like to feed birds, ducks and geese.  I know for birds you put bird seed in feeders but for ducks and geese what would the recommended food be for the people that insist on feeding them?

at the forks, they sell little parcels of what looks like ground corn for people to feel the ducks and geese

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 12:05 »
As i stated once before earlier in this thread here its illegal to feed water fowl and you can be fined for doing it in any of the waterfront parks or walkways.   

Offline sheltiegirl

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 09:38 »
Here in Ontario, at the Jack Miner sanctuary where geese congregate on their migrations and also injured birds are kept in an enclosure where they interact with the public, they use corn and  I think the grain is barley Some local farmers leave some corn rows in their fields so the geese sometimes feed there as well. The public are not allowed near the migrating flocks only the volunteers from the centre feed those but the ones in the enclosure will eat right out of your hands if you are brave enough.  We go there every few years, used to be for the kids but we go there now and then to watch the great flocks take off for the south. You can't always guarantee you will see a departure but when you do it is quite breathtaking .

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 08:53 »
People do like to feed birds, ducks and geese.  I know for birds you put bird seed in feeders but for ducks and geese what would the recommended food be for the people that insist on feeding them?

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 00:08 »
that's okay, allikat.  I can cluck like a chicken - really well.  and what I want to understand is this - why do I even know that???   ::)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 22:37 »
I love our Canadian Geese! 
Okay...I have to admit something, I can honk like a goose.  ::)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 22:13 »
Amazing to see those chicks dodging and darting as they followed parents on land, to become serene little paddlers the instant they hit the water!

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 22:07 »
Wow, it is amazing how fast they hatched and then happily marched off to their new lives!  I was watching the cam on & off, and missed this by about 15 minutes! 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 22:01 »
The webcam now shows a video of this nest, including the trip Loriann predicted.
Love the shot of Mom and Dad strolling down the country lane with the little ones!

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 12:17 »
As soon as she is certain the ones that are going to hatch have hatched she'll move them out of the nest as fast as she can and head for water , and she won't come back to the nest.. so the whole family will be gone soon.     :)

She has them tucked up under her right now.. so cute !..  I'm glad they did hatch.. its been cold there and there were some concerns that the eggs had not survived..

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 12:13 »
You are right about fast, Loriann.  One minute I was looking and they all were there by mom, and the next minute I looked they were gone!  I suspect that they are under mom, for now, but they sure can move.

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 12:10 »
wonderful news for mother goose.. there was some concern about how long it was taking and whether the eggs were still viable or not.. the goslings will be gone from the nest almost right away, so look fast !

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 12:07 »
Just wanted to let ya'll know that some of the eggs have hatched, and they are absolutely cute.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 11:41 »
I do not know about a good deed. Icould have been the one flattened ;D ;D but I sure felt good when they were all across and where they should be.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 22:10 »
Way to go, Bev.  Another good deed!