Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 109995 times)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 11:33 »
Great Pics, Thanks!!! - It's nice to know that one of 'Our' Radisson family is doing well!! - I'll have to check out those pics more often!!  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 08:59 »
Great shots!  I've been checking in on her daily as well to make sure she's okay especially after all the rukus to get that nest  :-\

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 07:51 »
Well it will not be long now. It is day 28 of tight incubation on first after  egg Day 26 on 2nd egg.   

I am thinking that anytime after June 24th. I will be keeping close watch next week. Well hopefully I can.
they are doing a great job at incubating. they have been doing a lot of up and off during the day.
We have had miserable weather so thank goodness they are in a box.
we had flooding on Tuesday with the heavy rains and hail. Looks like we are all getting nasty weather. 

I caught a nice picture of Miss radisson Edmonton . I have more eloquent ones but I thought these were cute.  no one has ever got back to me as to whether I can post pictures or not. I have so many so If this is not allowed you have to let me know!!!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 08:03 by bev. »

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 18:34 »
That's really interesting -- you can see Princess's "crown" on Radisson! 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 12:09 »
Looking at the webcam image, looks like she has her mother's speckles and her head pattern, though fewer and less noticeable.  Going to be interesting to get some photos from the Edmonton Project for comparison.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 12:04 »
We only have 2 eggs. were hoping  for 3 but I consider us lucky to have 2 as she has had to fend off 2 takeovers herself.( we did not witness it but evidence points to it. she gave every appearance of laying more but sometime after 2nd egg she may have had  to defend nest site.

I keep real close tabs on this site.  Information is very slow on the site itself and I send them in news all the time. these were taken on May 26 . I f I am allowed I will post other pictures this is the male in first picture and female in second picture

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:06 by bev. »

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 08:02 »
So good to hear news about one of our Winnipeg chicks, especially one that I remember watching grow up!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 13:55 »
2nd egg laid on May 25th, so guess-timating the hatch date, sometime after June 25th - 30 days after 3rd egg laid, assuming 3rd egg laid on the 26th.  Will get an estimate from the folks in Edmonton and post here. 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 10:10 »
Our two are incubating nicely. I am a thinking the first hatch will be end of June.

so time to relax for a bit.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 07:06 »
Wouldn't that be nice  :D but no, not one of our birds.  The band number is similar to a series of bands used in Ontario though, so am going to see if I can track it down ....

Offline Enraptured

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 01:40 »
Very exciting!
Does this also mean that the Peregrine falcon R/19 on the youtube video (electrocuted, saved, rehabilitated, and released) linked today (June 5) is a Radisson Peregrine, too?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 15:16 »
Got an update here for ya folks, but only a partial one at this point.  More information will be sent soon from the Edmonton Project.

The female at the site is *R/7 (Radisson) a 2006 wild-hatch from, you guessed it, the Radisson Hotel.  She is one of Trey's and Princess' kids.  In fact, she is the sister of Bandit and the Little Daredevil for those of you who were watching the Falcon Cam in 2006.  Radisson was hatched on the same ledge as this year and who we haven't heard anything about since she left the province in September 2006. 

Will send you more information as I get it.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 20:58 »
Hi, Bev.  I couldn't have watched it either.  And your descriptions paint a good enough picture for me.  Thanks for the info.  Having said that, you can send photos to TPC.  Guess they'd have to go in the PG-13 part of the gallery. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:16 »
Actually, territorial battles are not uncommon, they may just not be as common in Canada as they are in some places in the US.  And most of them do not result in death.   In recent years in the US Midwest, there have been a number of resident birds, both male and female, lost at nest sites as a result of territorial competition.  Some are even found dead in the nestboxes they refused to give up.  And yes, it is a tough thing to watch.  Nature frequently is.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:07 »
this is new for biologists also becasue there was a time when they did not think that peregrines fought each other.  A male will not interfere with the fight of the females. this poor male(or maybe not :) :)) has had to mate twice this year.  the first female this year was as I said just about ready to lay eggs and then she was chased off by the present female.  Then, poor guy ;) he had to start all over again.
Vice versa a female will not interfere with two males fighting. 
I have such a set of mixed emotions bu t I guess we are here to see the peregrines increase in numbers and i guess they are being successful if there are battles for site.  I just shudder.
I am a real marshmallow at heart and shed many a tear over this.  too bad we could not post pictures as I could post some.