Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 109923 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 18:38 »
Lol..that's great and so true!!! 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 18:35 »
thought you might enjoy this picture. she turns and calls out and he is there pronto to take over..We now know who the boss is here :D :D :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 13:24 »
It was fun to watch Scout in Columbus this year. we would be all saying move up scout. lean over to feed them all but she eventually got it. and there was S2 in the Netherlands last year that chased the mom out after babes were born . it was a touch and go for awhile as she thought the food brought by dad for the wee ones was for her(mating ritual). it was just something to watch . we went form sad to angry at her to love for her(she was a 2 year old falcon, and had not had a clutch of her own yet)

I am always learning.
that is why at your site I say just never give up hope until  >>>>

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 10:43 »
I like to think we're all learning from each other, I know I am learning alot from all of you!

It will be interesting to observe a first time mom, she certainly had great parents to learn from :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 10:31 »
I just wanted to add here that I am no biologist. i have just learned like all of you from observing the cams at different sites and then looking things up and having people explain things to me. 

a well known biologist told me that just when you think you have them figured out they surprise you, so i never say never.
I am a lover of all nature and of the falcons and eagles

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 10:20 »
by my calculations this is day 32  tight incubation for egg 1 and day 30 for egg 2 so i am thinking anytime after today.  I figured yesterday was too soon. now  they come when they come and she is very antsy the last couple of days. i do no see any pipping yet
yes she is beautiful an our male is not too shabby. Very handsome. I will look for a nice picture of him .

this is probably her first clutch so she knows not what to expect.but she has a good male to help her.  these birds fascinate me as to their incredible instincts. 
 a few from this morning 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 09:40 »
She's up and down again this morning, she is really a beautiful bird.   :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 00:46 »
Pipping is the process by the chick to start getting out of the egg.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 23:23 »
that squiggly line has been there since she laid the egg.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 17:24 »
Wow I missed the hand-stand, maybe she had an itchy head - you know sometimes you get an itch and you just cant' reach it  ??? 

That probably sounds silly I know but would there be reason she'd do that or is she just stretching?  I must confess ignorance about the incubation phase, when our pair had their eggs here the web cam was at a distance so I never got to see the eggs close up like this.

Also when you refer to the piping, do you mean like a kind of line across the egg?  Cause I did see kind of a squigly  line on one of them this morning or I thought I did but then I thought nah..must just be the reflection of the sun.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 17:43 by carly »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 17:12 »
I cannot see any pipped yet but she is up and down all  day so far.  trying to keep them from hatching too far apart ,maybe.  It is almost like she is talking to them sometimes.

here is one of her almost doing a head stand in the corner Sorry, I did a clickable one

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 10:15 »
Great shots Bev!  I'm going to keep her up all day from now on, I hope both of them hatch successfully! 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 09:41 »
You are right Carly. the male was on this morning when I got up at 5:30 edmonton time and he was of and on them also

Since the female came in at 07:16 she has been off and checking and fanning them and siting behind them and rotating around while still on them .

She has been in the same position now for 10 minutes and that is the first since she came in. 
I do not think it will be today as it not 33 days yet but they come when they come..
We had lots of rain yesterday but it is supposed to be warm today

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 08:25 »
I've got mom up on my desktop at work today since this is the week potentially.  She's been fidgety this morning and I've seen the 2 eggs clearly -she keeps getting up and staring at the them.  Of course it could be the sun blinding her since it's right in the box right now.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 17:59 »
Bev, since TPC noted Radisson's similarities to Princess and didn't say, "Tsk tsk", I don't think you have to worry about posting photos.