Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 113948 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2008, 17:19 »
Now I know something is up. they usually do not even come in to relieve each other. one calls and leaves and the other is there right away.the male just came in(doesn,t he look sheepish ;D ;D) and left again

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2008, 17:00 »
I believe we have a pipped egg. it is the egg at the back.  I should have circled it . I will go back and do that

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2008, 16:06 »
well she is still checking and moving around.Sometimes I think she is talking to them . they say they vocalize to them to stimulate them into hatching, that may be what she is doing.

I just know this will happen when I am not at the cam. I have to go out for awhile this evening( I do not think they will appreciate me saying that I have to stay home and wait for a chick or two to hatch) :) :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2008, 14:21 »
that is what i was thinking Tracy. that is why I was not concerned. So if incubation started with the last egg then we are O.K. right!! I was trying to make a comparison that if May 25 was the last egg laid then today is day 32. and if technically they do not start incubating until last egg laid then she has only been incubating fro 32 days.

anyhow I am praying for the best . we do need some positive here after the year we have had. Two years ago in Edmonton they all hatched on the same day also. 

We are in the midst of yet another big hail and rain and thunder storm.  I am so tired of it already.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 14:27 by bev. »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2008, 13:00 »

so after reading this I think we are on track as June 15th was day 32 of the last egg to be laid. 

Just so you know, eggs don't hatch in the order in which they were laid.  Incubation actually begins with egg 3 or the last egg if there are fewer than 3 eggs so that all the eggs should hatch out at about the same time - usually 24-48 hours.  The Radisson chicks last year were a very unusual event.  Our chicks this year, much more usual event.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2008, 10:16 »
i am out now for a few hours but she does handstands and all sorts of tricks

the male is on now. I will post a picture of him later today.. he is so cute also

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2008, 09:57 »
She does get herself into some interesting positions doesn't she...it's almost like she's doing a hand stand sometimes  :D  I wonder if she's cooling herself down..must get quite hot under the belly with all that brooding.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2008, 09:51 »
Good Heavens, where is her head... ??? ??? :P

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2008, 09:27 »
Eggs look good for this angle!  I have a company picnic this afternoon but soon as I get home I'll be checking on her again too... like you I hope not to miss the hatching  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2008, 09:00 »
two pictures from this morning .. was not quick enough to get the best one

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 08:12 »
I just wanted to post this form another year.

The first egg was hatched in the early morning hours of June 15th, then the 2nd one hatched just before noon of the 15th and the 3rd just after noon the same day. The runt (we named him "Runt") wasborn almost an entire day later on June 16th. The eggs hatched right on schedule - (mid-June).

May 14: A clutch of 4 eggs were laid, the last one being laid on May 14. While the eggs have been laid, incubation of the eggs only begins when the last or second last egg has been laid. Peregrine falcons, depending on their age, will lay 2-5.

so after reading this I think we are on track as June 15th was day 32 of the last egg to be laid. 

Now I know I ma not a biologist but.....

I am hoping for the best for my nest as we have had so much drama this year.

anyway I am an optimist and never say never .

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 07:58 »
I have been watching all the time and I have not seen a broken egg. she laid her last egg on may 25 so that would make today day 32 for that egg so i was not worried. here is a picture from yesterday

I cannot see a broken egg??????

I also have see the eggs this morning  and they looked O.K.  sometimes the shadows in this box play tricks so that is maybe what was happening when they were looking. I ma out for part of the morning but if I get a picture before then of the eggs I will post it.

We have a great male here so I would not think that 2 eggs should be a problem.  but I will take what I can get

It is late for here but just by 2 weeks (to have chicks I mean)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 08:05 by bev. »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 17:48 »
She has been so diligent, I hope she gets at least one to raise .. might be a good way to initiate her into first time motherhood.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 17:06 »
Was speaking to one of my buddies in the Program today by phone and while we were talking the incubating adult got up and it looked like there was one egg and perhaps one broken egg in the box, but no chicks yet.  They are technically overdue, but so were ours by a week, and according to my friend, it not unusual for their birds to hatch out later than the mean average, so no worries yet.

On the less positive side, this is Radisson's first nesting attempt and its later in the year, so if she only has one, that's still a good outcome!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 19:50 »
bev, thanks for the great new pics.