Author Topic: QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19  (Read 29364 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Saving Spirit
CBC Short Docs documentary

Click on photo
(I had a bit of trouble accessing the video ... just as an FYI)

In June 2017, peregrine falcon Spirit was badly injured.

Another female falcon had been nesting Spirit’s eggs in her absence. When Spirit returned, she attacked the intruder — and the entire fight was caught on camera.

After the fight, Spirit disappeared. She was only spotted again in August, seemingly on the verge of death. Birdwatcher Christian Fritschi rescued Spirit and brought her to Union québécoise de réhabilitation des oiseaux de proie (UQROP), a prey bird clinic in Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec.

Spirit is the mother of Algo and Polly, featured in the short documentary Algo, Polly & Turcot.

source:  http://www.cbc.ca/shortdocs/blog/saving-spirit
youtube video:

The video would not play for me in any of the usual browsers, but I just tried it in Opera, a browser I don't normally use, and it played on the first try.

The other female, Eve, had not been "nesting Spirit’s eggs in her absence". She simply wanted the eggs gone, and had also forced Spirit to abandon her eggs the previous year.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 14:12 by Alison »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Saving Spirit
CBC Short Docs documentary

Click on photo
(I had a bit of trouble accessing the video ... just as an FYI)

In June 2017, peregrine falcon Spirit was badly injured.

Another female falcon had been nesting Spirit’s eggs in her absence. When Spirit returned, she attacked the intruder — and the entire fight was caught on camera.

After the fight, Spirit disappeared. She was only spotted again in August, seemingly on the verge of death. Birdwatcher Christian Fritschi rescued Spirit and brought her to Union québécoise de réhabilitation des oiseaux de proie (UQROP), a prey bird clinic in Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec.

Spirit is the mother of Algo and Polly, featured in the short documentary Algo, Polly & Turcot.

source:  http://www.cbc.ca/shortdocs/blog/saving-spirit
youtube video: 

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Thankfully UQROP was able to restore Spirit’s health - she looks incredible!

I cannot bear to see Spirit injured and starving again, so I just hope she will stay well wherever she's inclined to go. Fly strong and free, Spirit!

The release photos by Christian Fritschi are beautiful. Thank you for the update, Alison.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Spirit has been released. She looks very beautiful and in great condition. It is clear that she has received the very best of care at UQROP. Stay safe, beloved Spirit.

Spirit was indeed returned to freedom today, November 19, 2017, as the first snowflakes of winter arrived at Chouette à voir! It was a hard working volunteer who assists in the transport of injured birds of prey, Roger Rousselle, who carried out this release after having made a donation to UQROP to help pay for the cost of her care. We reached almost 20,000 people with the announcement of this release. Imagine how much this would help UQROP to save other birds of prey if each one had donated $1! A summary of Spirit's story will soon be published on this page and on our Internet site. Continue to follow us . . .

Beautiful photos by Christian Fritschi, who is also the person who rescued Spirit in July.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Thank you for posting the news regarding Spirit, Alison. Perhaps something will cause her to seek a different home, I hope; however, she could very well head straight to Montreal where the much younger Eve has taken over that site, with Éole.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
News of Spirit this morning from UQROP

You are familiar with Spirit, the famous female peregrine falcon who was seen for many years in Montreal? You know that she was found injured last July and that we are caring for her? She will be released on the morning of Sunday, November 19 at Chouette à voir! at St-Jude around 9:30 a.m. An auction has been opened. The person who has made the highest bid (to cover the cost of her care) will have the chance to return her to freedom. Follow the news on this page in the next few days and you will learn more of her story.

https://www.facebook.com/fauconsudem/posts/1681459788571643

I am very happy that Spirit has made such a good recovery, but also very concerned about what will happen when she returns to Montreal, as I believe she will. Eve is there, and she is big, young and very strong.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Wow! It’s wonderful to read that Spirit’s condition has greatly improved … thank you so much for the update, Alison!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
A new update on Spirit from Fritz Fritschi; I translated it from the French.

Spirit is truly one of a kind.

I had the opportunity to participate in the distribution of her meal during my trip to Chouette à Voir on September 15. She was perched in her private flight enclosure and she attacked her daily meal, which consisted of chickens. She looks very much in shape and has a good appetite, since there was nothing left of her meal from the day before. I had the opportunity to see her again on September 26, during another visit. Still with a voracious appetite. On Sunday, October 8, the same thing. One would very much like to see the staff introduce her into the large flight enclosure, in order to provide her with all the space necessary to properly assess her recovery. I believe that the future is promising. This particular Spirit has very much earned her name. An avian example of resilience if there ever was one.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
my fingers are crossed for Spirit. I love this gal.

Bev, I'm also crossing my fingers for Spirit. She’s been through many difficult times.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
my fingers are crossed for Spirit. I love this gal.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
We now have a brief update on Spirit!

Falcons of the UdeM / UdeM Falcons
September 13 at 1:55pm ·

Eve shows us her beautiful feathers this afternoon with summer flavours! And by the way, I've heard from spirit. She's doing well, her elbow swelling remains a problem, but the rest has evolved very well, the extension of her wing is good according to Dr. Fitzgerald's words. Too early to see if she can be released.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/pg/fauconsudem/posts/

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Éole at the nest today:

Eve spends time at the nest fairly frequently.

I keep checking for new updates on Spirit, but have found none so far.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

After reading through other Facebook posts it appears that the male (mentioned by Alison on July 26) who was noticed in the area where Spirit was rescued - is still there! And since he continues to be observed alone it seems more and more likely that he could be waiting for Spirit to return ... however, it hasn't been determined whether or not she will fly again ... I've been thinking about Spirit every day.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
News regarding Spirit, August 8

Falcons of UdeM / UdeM Falcons shared their post.
3 hrs ·

News from Spirit / News about Spirit (short story: she is doing better every day, eating well.)

I will give you news periodically when I have ...

Falcons of the UdeM / UdeM Falcons
to
 Union for the Rehabilitation of Birds of Prey - UQROP
3 hrs ·

A big thank you to all the staff of the clinic of birds of prey for the care given to our dear Spirit. I was lucky to hear from her today, she is getting better and better, her elbow is getting better. She eats well by herself, is given anti-pain twice a day. The drugs are in his food, so the stress caused by human contact is at a minimum. We do not know if she will be able to fly one more day, but she is in very good hands. We look forward to seeing the progress she will make in the coming weeks under your care ...

Translated by Google

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
I see there's a new update on Facebook regarding Spirit.

Thank you for the update, Burdi! Spirit is a very courageous falcon.

Here is another short update from a different source, dated today, which I translated from the French.

A new twist in the story of the peregrine falcons at l'Université de Montréal: Spirit was probably not alone at the place where she was found!

In fact, I observed for a long time this morning an unbanded peregrine falcon perched on the water tower at the foot of which Spirit was found. This peregrine vocalized several times, but I did not see any other falcon. Was he looking for Spirit, or is it that he was talking to himself? It is a mystery. Here is the first view of this peregrine.

https://youtu.be/o9M22ViLipk

To be continued . . .

In the video, the peregrine is animated and e-chupping, which makes me think that perhaps he has a mate close by.

https://www.facebook.com/falcoUrbanisMontreal/posts/1885033531816991