Author Topic: QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19  (Read 29358 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Montreal - 2009 / Roger & Spirit
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 20:33 »
Thank you for asking, Allikat! The eggs were expected to hatch around May 3, but didn't. However, at least one chick hatched on May 9! Eve Belisle saw food being brought to the nest at least five times on May 11, and saw at least one baby today!

I hope it's okay to post the link to her blog, but if not, I'm sure TPC will delete it.

http://fauconsudem.blogspot.com/

There is now a webcam:

http://fauconsudem.000space.com/motion_detect/

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 18:43 »
Any word on the eggs?

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 16:33 »
GO SPIRIT GOOOOOO!!!!!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 21:00 »
I had intended to mention that the photos of Spirit and Pulse from 2004 are by Chad and Chris, and the one of Spirit as she looks now is by Eve Belisle in Montreal. She has a blog (in French) on Spirit and Roger.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 20:55 »
Great shots Alison...
Wow, what a story.  Spirit is a fitting name then for this female, the spirit of her family lives in her! 

YOU GO GIRL!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 20:43 »
In March 2007, I was watching the Pittsburgh Cathedral of Learning webcam when Erie, the resident male (and father of the new female in Rochester) battled in the nest box with another male. He finally threw the other male out of the nest box. I didn't know it then, but he killed the other male, and the other tiercel was Pulse from Hilliard Road Bridge, who was by then three years old. So Spirit is the last survivor of these four chicks from five years ago.

Spirit and her unbanded mate, Roger, have been provided with a nest box, and are currently incubating eggs.

Spirit in 2004:

Spirit and Pulse:

Spirit now:

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 20:40 »
Great great news!!!  Come on Spirit..now we just need to find you a mate!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 20:34 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

There is a new falcon at the University of Montreal, and she has been identified as being from the Hilliard Road Bridge nest in Cleveland. Her name is Spirit (band black/green 93/E), and she is one of four chicks who were born in 2004 to the great Buckeye and his mate Hillary. The chicks were Turbo, Pulse, Mystic and Spirit.

Turbo disappeared very shortly after fledging; Chad and Chris Saladin spent the whole day searching for him, and they found his body. It seemed that he had encountered some type of predator.

Pulse fledged and landed on the ground, but was able to gain height and fly up high enough to be safe. Mystic and Spirit also fledged successfully. Later in the summer, Mystic was found with a badly fractured wing, and she did not survive the surgery to repair it.