Author Topic: QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19  (Read 30058 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
She sure was named appropriately, a strong girl!  :-*

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
I see there's a new update on Facebook regarding Spirit.

News from spirit since it was sent to the bird s' clinic. His name, Spirit, makes sense. In addition to his elbow arthritis, following an x-Ray, it was observed that she suffered a fracture to the right hip that cured herself (explains her boiterie which had been observed repeatedly on the cameras). We already knew she was fierce and aggressive, but her courage is inspiring. Interestingly, @[1493852852:2048:Christophe Meyer] observed a Pilgrim Peregrine this morning where she was found. This one wasn't bagué, so it's not éole, and according to the photos it doesn't seem to be eve either. Maybe Spirit had made a new boyfriend, possibly a popular hunting place.

https://www.facebook.com/fauconsudem/posts/1573373529380270

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
I'm so saddened to see how thin Spirit has become, but at the same time I'm thankful that she has been rescued and is now receiving some much needed care, perhaps in the nick of time.

Thank you for sharing this news, Carly.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Spirit earlier this year:

In April, with tiny snowflakes on her head (left) and on May 6, with some injuries to her beak and cere.

With her first two eggs, and with Éole.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
From 2007 until she was displaced by Eve earlier this year, Spirit was the first and only resident female at this nest. Her long-time mate, Roger, also arrived in 2007 and was the resident male until he disappeared in October 2014. It was never known what happened to him.

Éole then left his mate, Eve, and moved in with Spirit. He is also her son.

In 2015, Éole was displaced by an unbanded intruder, and returned to Eve at the incinerator building, where they raised five chicks. The new male with Spirit was given the name Arthurin, and he helped raise Spirit's chicks.

Arthurin did not return in 2016, and Éole moved back in with Spirit. Four eggs were incubated, but with continuing intruder problems from Eve and at least one male, Spirit was eventually forced to abandon her eggs.

This year, Spirit laid three eggs, but during incubation Eve attacked a number of times. In late April Spirit already had visible injuries to her cere and beak area. Éole continued to incubate as much as he could. Recently the eggs were removed from the nest, and all three were found to be infertile.

Eventually, Eve drove Spirit away, and took over the nest. Searches were done for Spirit, but there was no sign of her at that time.

I am very glad that she has been found and rescued. I hope she will make a full recovery, but in the meantime she will be well cared for and safe from predators. Although she is not in good condition at the moment, she has always been a strong falcon, both physically and mentally.

Photo: Christian Fritschi

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Do we know what Eole's mate's name was this year?  If she had a name of course!

Spirit and Eole were mated and she laid two eggs in early April. There was a intrusion by an unbanded female April 22nd. There was a nasty fight between the unbanded female and Spirit April 26th.  https://youtu.be/NdGdXEIvXNo

Spirit was back at the nest April 27th. Things kind of settled down and Spirit lay another egg May 11th. On June 11th the unbanded female was back and there was no sign of Spirit until she was found the other day. 

From what I understand the unbanded female was Eole's mate at another location and is being called Eve.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

They call her 'Eve', she is unbanded.  He has been two timing for a few years now and this is not the first time Eve had attacked Spirit - she did so last year as well but this year she was determined to win and she did.  Spirit is 13 years old now. 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Spirit was displaced a few months ago by her rival - Eole's second mate, she was sorely injured and we feared the worst.

Today this news:  Breaking News - Spirit has been found and rescued! She's in rough shape, she wasn't able to hunt due to her wounds but she's alive and now she will be cared for!

https://www.facebook.com/fauconsudem/?hc_ref=ARTSspEyi8Ua3Dy2UC77uXT8yH8Yi3bGPrHclrEwVXRccVu0u7oFROKt9GuS6BBvPbU

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Last year at this nest, there were no chicks. Spirit and Éole incubated four eggs, but close to the end of incubation there was a male intruder, and Éole was displaced. The intruder male was given the name Brett. It seemed that there was also a female intruder at one point, and Spirit had some injuries, but fortunately they did not appear to be serious.

Due to the intruder problem, Spirit was forced to abandon her eggs. Very sad, since they would have been close to hatching.

However, Éole survived his eviction from the nest site, and later in the year was back at the nest with Spirit.

This year Éole and Spirit are still together. There are no eggs so far, but I hope there will be. Spirit is now thirteen years old.

http://www.ornithologie.ca/faucons/

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
thanks for keeping track Allison :-*

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Spirit, now eleven years old, looked really good. On this dark and wet-looking day, she went dancing along to the end of the ledge.

Spirit and Arthurin raised three chicks this year, all female:

Céleste, banded E/92 (black tape on the silver band)
Luna, banded  E/85 (no tape on the silver band; very pale legs and feet)
Éclipse, banded E/91 (red tape on the silver band)

All three fledged successfully.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
I had not seen Spirit or Arthurin at the nest for some time. Today I caught a momentary bonding at the nest. The female was Spirit, but the male was not Arthurin. This male was banded; Arthurin is unbanded. I am pretty sure the male at the nest today was Éole .

He left, and Spirit did some work on the nest.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Nice find Allikat!  Thanks for posting it!  ;D
My pleasure!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Nice find Allikat!  Thanks for posting it!  ;D