Author Topic: OH / Dayton - Boonshoft - 2009-16  (Read 9702 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Dayton - 2016 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2016, 07:43 »
I now see a sweet chick pile and counted three little heads. There are shells scattered. Can't see if the 4th egg has hatched.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2016, 17:12 »
Me too Jazzerkins! I see two chicks huddled and two eggs. Where is Dayton?
Just checked. Dayton is sitting on the eggs/chicks. Not a great view. Sun is setting behind the nest from the West. I know the location of this site because I was born and raised in Dayton. This is downtown Dayton. Can't wait to see how many chicks there are in the A.M. with the sunrise from the East.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 17:19 by GCG »

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2016, 17:03 »
I was really surprised to see the chick and the eggs left alone.  I thought a parent would be velcroed to them at this stage.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2016, 14:09 »
There may be more than one hatch. Not sure. Current temperature in Dayton is 78F 3:05 P.M. EDT.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2016, 13:46 »
An egg has hatched and Dayton is enjoying a snack of egg shell. Have yet to see the little ball of fluff. It's show time!

Ok! Update! Dayton just stepped out and I have my first view of the little one.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 13:50 by GCG »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2016, 12:34 »
2016 NESTING SEASON

Dayton and Daniel have 4 eggs. First egg was laid March 10th. Dayton started closely sitting on the eggs by March 14 so hatching could have started as early April 11. No hatches yet, but any day now.

http://www.boonshoftmuseum.org/visit/tours/videos-live-cams/

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Ohio / Dayton - 2015 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2015, 15:04 »
It has been days since I have seen the chicks. I guess all have fledged and the camera view really doesn't change.  :(

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2015, 04:21 »
This was in the Dayton Daily News online site this morning. A slide presentation of this year's banding.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/gallery/news/throwback-thursday-daytons-peregrine-falcons-bande/gCS33/#1851373

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2015, 22:47 »
Awww... that really is too bad that their Recovery Project is closing down. :(

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2015, 05:56 »
This article appeared in today's online issue of the Dayton Daily News. apparently, after banding the chicks yesterday, the program will be ending. Dayton and Daniel have nested there for many years and will probably continue to do so. I'm not sure if the cam will continue or not. I will be try to reach my contact for an answer.
Sadly, at the end of last season, they discontinued the live cam of the eagles due to lack of funding.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local/falcon-chicks-banded-for-last-time-in-downtown-day/nmKDj/#cmComments
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:08 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2015, 15:01 »
 ;D Dayton is sunning herself on the ledge. The chicks are in their own worlds. Two are in a faceplant position and the third is preening. Little diva! Oops, just looked again. All three are in faceplants position.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 15:04 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2015, 15:58 »
Confirmed, there are 3 chicks who are active. Just watched Dayton, sitting, and I do mean sitting on the chicks. You can see her talons. No longer can she lay on the chicks. LOL!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2015, 16:31 »
Have just looked in on Dayton and chicks. No sign of Daniel. What you see in Alison's photo is the same with Dayton sitting on the chicks. My guess, there is at least one nonviable egg, pushed aside. There were 4 eggs laid but from the photos, I saw two chicks and the discarded egg.  ??? Where did the fourth egg go?  ???

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2015, 11:28 »
gemcitygemini, this is for you.

From the Dayton blog today, which also has a really nice pic of the two chicks.

April 28, 2015

Hatching has occurred! As of Monday afternoon one egg shell could be seen outside the scrape. Early this morning two or three eggs were seen broken in the nest box. Dayton sat tight on the nest this morning, possibly more than typical due to the temperature being in the 30s, but one chick was seen peeking out from under her. Around 8:45am she took a quick break out of the box and two chicks and one egg are visible in the nest.

http://www.boonshoftmuseum.org/programs-events/special-events/falcon-cam?showall=&start=5

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2015, 13:18 »
Thank you, Alison. It's feeding time.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2015, 12:25 »
Dayton is standing over her chick(s), possibly two. I see eggshells and one egg. Not sure yet. Alison, pictures, please...?  :-*
Here are pictures for you, gemcitygemini! It is very dark in the nest, and the resolution is low. These pics are enhanced as far as I can push them, and cropped to show what is happening a little better. There definitely is at least one hatch.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2015, 12:21 »
Dayton is standing over her chick(s), possibly two. I see eggshells and one egg. Not sure yet. Alison, pictures, please...?  :-*

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2015, 12:00 »
 ;D After a couple of days watching Dayton doing her shuggle, I can now see a little ball of fluff. One down, three to go? So many nests, so many eggs. And now, so many chicks.  ::)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2015, 08:15 »
April 8, 2015

March 23 is the estimated start date of incubation of the falcon eggs. There were only two eggs in the nest on this date but there was a cold snap with snow and Dayton started sitting tightly on her eggs to warm them. By calculating 32 days out from the date we can get an estimated hatching date of April 25, almost identical to the dates of last year's incubation. As the date for possible hatching draws closer we can expect to see the female arranging the stones around the scrape as she prepares for hatching. Just prior to hatching she may hear the chicks inside the eggs and seem more alert. The eggs must have a strong enough shell to support the weight of the falcons resting on them but still permit the chick to use its egg tooth (a sharp tip on their beak) to pip out of the shell. In the 1960s the peregrine falcon population declined and later was listed as an endangered species in 1970 when its eggs were affected by a poison called DDT. DDT was sprayed by farmers to keep insects away from their crops. DDT thinned the shells of the eggs causing them to break when the falcons tried to incubate them. Luckily DDT was banned in the United States in 1972 and it's likely these eggs won't break until the chicks use their egg tooth to pip out of their shells when they hatch.

For now the falcons continue to sit and incubate the eggs:

Thought I would share some information from the Boonshoft blog. Will watch for sure. Dayton is my hometown.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2015, 05:35 »
I'm certain there are four eggs now.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 23:02 »
Thank you for the information, gemcitygemini! I liked your comments about the "blizzard".  :)

So you think we still have Daniel and Dayton at the nest? I hope so. There really is no way to see bands on the cam.

I found both at home with the three eggs on March 24:

Today I could not catch a glimpse of the eggs; the birds were not moving. There could be four eggs by now.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 10:55 »
We have a third egg in the nest! A third egg was discovered in the nest during the afternoon of March 23. Last night it snowed and in the image below snow can be seen in the nest box. The female sits tightly on her eggs to keep them warm. It has snowed before during incubation and should not cause any harm to the eggs.

This was posted on the Boonshoft blog. Yes, they had snow too! Not as much as here. But if you heard my relatives complaining on FB, you would think theirs was a blizzard.  ??? The falcons are nesting in a very high building in downtown Dayton. The male, Daniel is banded. The female not banded is Dayton!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2015, 04:54 »
Thanks Alison  ;) for the wonderful photos. As of yesterday, there is still only two eggs.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2015, 13:45 »
Had to wait for a while to see the eggs:

Two eggs!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2015, 15:55 »
Still only one egg. By tomorrow, who knows how many?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2015, 13:06 »
Thanks for this Alison. On my way to Baltimore site. I saw some scraping by Mom.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2015, 12:20 »
:o OK! I must have missed something. It appears that Mom is sitting atop an egg!!! If you blink, you miss it. Must wait to see how many egg(s) when timing is right. Dayton had a worse winter than us here in Winnipeg which is a total shock to me. You see, I was born and raised in Dayton. Upon marriage, moved to Winnipeg. Hope to connect with Lauren @ Boonshoft for updates.
You didn't miss a thing, gemcitygemini! Yesterday there was no egg:

This morning, a brand new egg!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2015, 12:19 »
Just checked the site, and it is one egg!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 11:44 »
 :o OK! I must have missed something. It appears that Mom is sitting atop an egg!!! If you blink, you miss it. Must wait to see how many egg(s) when timing is right. Dayton had a worse winter than us here in Winnipeg which is a total shock to me. You see, I was born and raised in Dayton. Upon marriage, moved to Winnipeg. Hope to connect with Lauren @ Boonshoft for updates.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2015, 09:42 »
PF in the nest box right now, and I think I may even see a scrape. :)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2015, 16:30 »
 ;D My first sighting at the Boonshoft museum today. A Falcon has returned and the cam is live.

http://www.boonshoftmuseum.org/programs-events/special-events/falcon-cam-stream

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Boonshoft Museum - 2013 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 12:01 »
The three chicks are in full view now. So cute. Little balls of white fluff. Soon, they will be full grown and will fledge.

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 13:36 »
The Web blog said the following "the FalconCam offers a view of "Daniel" and "Dayton" in their nesting box atop the Liberty Bank building downtown."

May 6, 2013 - The falcons have three chicks! The first and second chick hatched on May 1 and the third chick hatched on May 2.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 13:39 by MayShowers »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 12:25 »
There are now four eggs.

Dayton Peregrine Falcons Blog

March 30, 2013 - A fourth egg was discovered in the nestbox today. The third egg was first seen late in the day on Monday. In this image you can see one of the falcons and four eggs in the nest. It is likely that this will be the final egg of the clutch and incubation of the eggs has begun. The eggs will synchronize to hatch around the same time.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 16:59 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 11:45 »
First egg was laid March 21st. No word how many more. Mom is hunched over her egg(s) because it is snowing in Dayton. Link to falcon cam.

http://www.boonshoftmuseum.org/programs-events/special-events/falcon-cam-stream

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Boonshoft Museum - 2013 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 14:11 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

The cams have been turned on. No falcons as yet, however, the eagles have landed. Last week, I saw Mama in the nest, flapping wings and shuffling to (I think) settle in to keep the eggs warm. I do not know how long they have been back. As well, the falcons will soon return. Let the season begin all over.  ;D ;D I check in daily to see, on occasion, mom's head pop up.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 14:13 by gemcitygemini »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Boonshoft Museum - 2012 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 21:42 »
Aw! That's too bad about the chick that died. :'( Do they know why? Will there be a necropsy or did the parents dispose of the little one?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Boonshoft Museum - 2012 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 10:47 »
There are only two surviving chicks at this site. Third chick died a few days after hatching. The fourth egg wasn't viable. The two surviving chicks were banded this morning. Saw them removed, however banding was not live. They are back and crouched in opposite corners.  :) ;)

www.boonshoftmuseum.org/falconcam.html         
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:52 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Boonshoft Museum - 2012 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 18:21 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

:) Dayton and Daniel, the resident peregrines abandoned their first nest (three eggs) in downtown Dayton. Four eggs were laid in a nearby nestbox. Yesterday, the first egg hatched. Today, there are now three chicks. They are now being fed by Mama, so cute. For a livestream, log on to the Boonshoft site. This is going to be a busy peregrine season.  ;D ;D  

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Boonshoft Museum - 2011 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 04:26 »
:'( Two Peregrines established a nest on a ledge at the 20th floor level of the Liberty Bank building in downtown Dayton, Ohio.

Five eggs were laid.  Two of the five hatched but the young were lost most likely to predation.  We are hoping the adults will choose to re-nest in this box as they have in previous years.

The website remains the same. As I watched the view of their previous nestbox, I periodically see a falcon there surveying their domain. Hopefully they will re-nest.

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
Re: Boonshoft Museum - 2011 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 15:44 »
There were 2 egg out of 5 and they both have hatched

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Boonshoft Museum - 2011 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 14:07 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

Daniel and Dayton have chosen a new site to nest (looks very nice) and there are cameras once again this year.

The link is the same as last year for those who want to go check it out!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Boonshoft Museum - 2010 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 13:13 »
Ludlow and Dunbar... I really do like those names. :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 00:07 »
Ludlow and Dunbar are great names.  These are very photogenic juvies.  Would they have fledged by now?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 18:39 »
Ludlow and Dunbar continue to pose for photos:

In this pic Dunbar is on the left, Ludlow on the right:

Dunbar is on the left and Ludlow on the right in the next two pics:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 16:11 »
I just love these photos of these juvies, Alison! The expressions on their faces are priceless! ;) 

Thank you, Kinderchick! The chicks are out of view at the moment, but here are their names and band numbers:

The young were banded May 19.

The female's name is Ludlow with black/red leg band 02/Y.
The male's name is Dunbar with black/red leg band 66/B.

Watch for fledging the first week of June.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 20:24 »
I just love these photos of these juvies, Alison! The expressions on their faces are priceless! ;)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 17:12 »
The two very cute chicks today:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 20:18 »
What a cute duo and so in sync it seems, love the poses and expressions of their faces  :D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 20:00 »
The two Dayton chicks today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 15:11 »
Dayton and Daniel's two chicks have grown so much and have been banded:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 16:55 »
Dayton with her two chicks today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 18:25 »
I'm very pleased that Dayton and Daniel have two chicks. I haven't been able to see the chicks, but thought that there had been a hatch, since I saw eggshell earlier.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 18:03 »
Oh I"m so happy both of them hatched, now they willl have company  :-* :-*

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 17:52 »
Both eggs have hatched today

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 19:51 »
Incubating the two remaining eggs:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 17:28 »
There were four eggs in the nest, but according to the site:

The fourth egg was laid March 25th.
On April 5 and 6 the adults removed an egg from the nest.
Two now remain.

I wonder what happened to cause the loss of two eggs - perhaps there was an intruder in the area at some stage?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 21:18 »
Dayton and Daniel already have three eggs:

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Boonshoft Museum - 2010 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 16:16 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

Here's the link for the Dayton Webcam ... now all we need is news about Daniel & Dayton ...

webcam link:  http://www.boonshoftmuseum.org/falconcam.html

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Boonshoft Museum - 2009 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 16:04 »
The numbers speak. Harshly, though it seems. The more the population grows, the mortality rate takes. So we will hear more than we did last year or this year of mortalities. Hope is still there, the peregrine falcons are returning.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 12:43 »
Mortality estimates run from 50-70% in the first year, some will be before they leave their natal areas, the rest during migration.  To repeat something I've said before ... it still sucks.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 19:51 »
I know they have a high mortality rate and is it just me but this spring seems worse than last year and I don't like it.   :'(  I read about Lara and Rocky's 2 girls on your site as well Alison, too sad for words  :'(
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 19:54 by carly »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 19:04 »
I check the site for updates frequently, and this update wasn't there last time I checked. I didn't know we had lost little Kettering.  :'(

July 8, 2009 Update

Each season we hope for the best for the juvenile falcons but their survival is not always guaranteed. On July 7, a caller notified staff at the Division of Wildlife that a Peregrine falcon hit a pole and was found dead near the intersection of Germantown and Old Field Road.

Division of Wildlife staff identified the dead Peregrine as Kettering, one of our young males that was born this spring. The identity was confirmed using the leg band that was given at the banding on May 18 (49/A). While there is no way to ascertain the exact circumstances surrounding Kettering’s death, there is a high mortality rate for Peregrines in their first year.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 20:57 »
All three chicks fledged successfully. On June 10, Oakley was found on the ground, and was to be returned to the nest on June 11.

I was happy to see her on the nest ledge late yesterday:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
OH / Dayton - Boonshoft - 2009-16
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 20:44 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

The three chicks at the Dayton nest were banded today. They are Oakley (female), Patterson (male), and Kettering (male). Band numbers have not been mentioned at this point. The parents are Daniel and Dayton.