Author Topic: ON / Ottawa - Delta Hotel - 2009-13  (Read 13717 times)

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
Re: ON / Ottawa - Delta Hotel - 2013 / ? & ?
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2013, 11:24 »
For the last couple of days, when driving on my way home, I've spotted one juvenile on each day watching the world go by from their favourite perching spots (the little shelf area next to the ledges). The youngster was in a different spot each day. I can only see 2 sides of the building so I don't know if the sibling was on the other side...and I can't tell them apart anyway. We had some pretty nasty weather which included tornado watches a week ago. They are smart birds and I'm sure mom and dad made sure the young ones were out of harm's way.
It looks like all is well at this end.  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2013, 22:31 »
Any news of the Billings Bridge PF juvies since we spotted them a week ago, Banane? ??? We probably need a new board for these birds, TPC, since these are not on the Crowne Plaza & likely not related to Conner & Diana.

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 07:24 »
I had the pleasure of meeting Kinderchick yesterday afternoon. She was faster at posting our findings on the forum than I was. It was very exciting to meet her and to visit the new falcon nest site. We think we figured out where the location of the ledge the nest was located because the sidewalk below showed many bird droppings. One of the juveniles was at that location, perharps a female?? On the opposite side of the building we spotted another juvie; he would have had to fly there...perhaps a male??
Two Juvies!!! So exciting!! Thanks for the visit Kinderchick!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2013, 22:50 »
Met up with Banane at the Billings Bridge Plaza in Ottawa this afternoon. We drove to the location of the new nesting pair of peregrine falcons on a gov't bldg. behind the plaza.  Did not spot any adults but were very fortunate to see 2 juveniles, each on different sides of the building. Was I ever happy to have brought my binocs along! We assumed they may have already fledged, or at least one of them, since they were no longer together. There is no nest box on this building, just a concrete ledge. Very exciting to meet Banane. And very exciting to see the 2 juvies!  :D

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2013, 13:14 »
Hi Kinderchick,

I was on holidays the last 2 weeks and didn't see your message. Have you been to Ottawa already? On my way home yesterday afternoon I think I still saw a dark shape on the ledge of the Heron Rd building. The building is behind the Billings Bridge shopping mall and can be accessed via "Data Centre Rd". The building is mainy white and ~9 stories high. I'm not sure what its actual address is, but if I you send me a message at I can send you a map of the area.
I would love to meet you too.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2013, 10:52 »
... Until yesterday I hadn't see any falcon, but on my drive home I glanced up at the Heron Road building, where the new pair nested last year, and I think I saw 2 falcons up there. I can't be sure because I was pretty far away but I saw 2 dark falcon-sized shapes on the ledge above the highest window but below the roof. It's the south-east side of the building so it would make sense to see the falcons on that side. I was pretty excited about that sighting...

Which building on Heron Road did you see the peregrine falcons, Banane? What is the closest intersection? ??? I will be in Ottawa this summer & want to check out the birds in person. Will also check out Diana & her mate on the Crowne Plaza, which I believe has been renamed The Delta Ottawa City Centre, if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2013, 07:26 »
I spotted them again yesterday afternoon. This is the only place I hope to catch a red light! It give me time to inspect the ledge safely!  ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2013, 20:08 »
That's great news, Banane! Keep your eyes on the sky but also on the road, if you're driving. ;)

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2013, 07:23 »
Hi Kinderchick,

Until yesterday I hadn't see any falcon, but on my drive home I glanced up at the Heron Road building, where the new pair nested last year, and I think I saw 2 falcons up there. I can't be sure because I was pretty far away but I saw 2 dark falcon-sized shapes on the ledge above the highest window but below the roof. It's the south-east side of the building. so it would make sense to see the falcons on that side. I was pretty excited about that sighting. I'll keep watching.  :)

Anne

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2013, 10:00 »
Any news of this pair, Banane? ??? Haven't heard anything about these 2 or any other PF's in Ottawa since mid March.

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2013, 08:22 »
Hi Kinderchick,
When I drive home from work I pass by the Heron Rd building where last year's new pair nested, but so far I haven't seen any falcons on ledges, mind you, I'm keeping one eye on the road and one on the building so I don't see everything. But the building is a light grey and the falcons are dark so I should be able to see something even from the distance I am at.
I had heard from fellow gardeners at the Kilborn garden plots, that a couple of years ago there was a Peregrine falcon that was hunting pigeons on the appartment building adjacent to the garden plots on Kilborn Ave. I will keep an eye out for any activity when I'm there gardening.
I'd like to think the falcon circling my house was saying "Hi" and showing off; it could also be that he/she was keeping an eye on the pigeons that seem to roost in a neighbour's yard a few houses down.  ::)

Anne

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2013, 17:50 »
How exciting to see/hear a PF circling above your house, banane! 8) Do you know if there are any reports of a 2nd nesting PF pair in the Ottawa area? If you recall, there was a report of a nesting pair on a 10-story building on Heron Rd. last year. 3 chicks were spotted, with one falling to it's death. Would be great if you were to hear anything about these PF's. :D I wonder if the one you saw was from that nest? :-\ For some reason, Diana & Conner don't seem to be having much luck producing offspring. :(

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2013, 07:26 »
On the afternoon of May 5th 2013, I saw and heard a falcon circling above my house. It was pretty high up but I'm 99% sure it was a Peregrine. Later that afternoon I saw and heard the ?same? falcon again. Both sightings were in the Elmvale Acres neighbourhood in Ottawa near the Kilborn allotment gardens.  :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2013, 17:50 »
Actually, the webcam here has not been active for several years, TPC. :( I inquired about the webcam and that's what I have been told, unfortunately. The view that you see of a PF on the ledge is a still photo that has remained as is for several years. I do receive updates from the website, though. Apparently, a PF was spotted eating a pigeon in the car park of the mall at the intersection of Innes Rd and Blair Rd on Feb. 12th. :)

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2013/02/sightings/more-activity-sighted-with-spring-in-the-air/

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 17:55 by RCF »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2013, 14:43 »
Actually, the webcam here has not been active for several years, TPC. :( I inquired about the webcam and that's what I have been told, unfortunately. The view that you see of a PF on the ledge is a still photo that has remained as is for several years. I do receive updates from the website, though. Apparently, a PF was spotted eating a pigeon in the car park of the mall at the intersection of Innes Rd and Blair Rd on Feb. 12th. :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 14:48 by Kinderchick »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
ON / Ottawa - Delta Hotel - 2013 / ? & ?
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2013, 15:31 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

Right now - 22 Feb 2013 @ 1531 CST - there is bird sitting on the ledge by the nestsite.
The webcam at the Crowne Plaza is active year-round.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Ottawa - Delta Hotel - 2012 / Connor & Diana
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2012, 16:44 »
I'm so glad to hear that you are spotting the PF's in Ottawa, Banane. :D

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2012, 07:17 »
I'm pretty sure I spotted the Ottawa Taxation Building fledgling on the north side of the Tupper building on my way home from work at 4:00 on July 5th. He/she was in the shade and appeared fairly dark but I figured it should be our little darling on the ledge looking into a window (I don't think this would be something a crow would do).
It always makes me smile to see our falcons.  :D

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2012, 10:31 »
Glad Connor appears to be back!!   :D
I look forward to the updates on the new pair as well. I'll try to spot them on my way home tonight. 

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2012, 07:48 »
I just got back from holidays. I'm sorry to read that Connor as gone MIA. That is not good news. I hope nothing has happened to him. Not a good year for our downtown residents.

Anne

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2012, 21:31 »
I did see that, RCF. I wonder if he has had an accident? He has been the resident male there for at least a few years. I'm not sure how old he is. Maybe Banane will have more info for us. :-\

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2012, 22:08 »
I'm pretty sure I saw the building where the new family is situated. It's a little further from Heron Rd surrounded by quite a bit of green space. A nest box would really be a good investment. The ledges look fairly treacherous. I hope the two little ones fledge successfully. 
That's very interesting, Banane. I checked back and on April 20th you posted that you thought you had seen PF's in this area. And sure enough, you had! :D I do have a contact person/address for you but I will have to locate it. I communicated with the people at this site last year. Will look it up and get back to you.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2012, 11:43 »
Is there a name/email for the contact person for the Ottawa falcons. I would certainly like to help our new residents for next season (monetarily or voluntarely, i.e. build a nest box (my husband is a cabinet maker)).

Try this link Banane, I hope this helps.  :)
http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/helpcpf.html

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2012, 10:25 »
Is there a name/email for the contact person for the Ottawa falcons. I would certainly like to help our new residents for next season (monetarily or voluntarely, i.e. build a nest box (my husband is a cabinet maker)).

The Canadian Peregrine Foundation are the folks running the webcam and who tend to have jurisdiction over many (most?) of the southern Ontario/Toronto birds.  That's where I would start ...

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2012, 07:40 »

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2012, 07:24 »
I'm pretty sure I saw the building where the new family is situated. It's a little further from Heron Rd surrounded by quite a bit of green space. A nest box would really be a good investment. The ledges look fairly treacherous. I hope the two little ones fledge successfully. 

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2012, 13:11 »
Yes!! I just saw that! How exciting! It must have been one of the parents I spotted (and reported) a few weeks back at the corner of Riverside Dr and Heron Rd. That is super good news. Too bad one chick fell. It would be great if a nest box could be built or secure the current ledge.  ;D ;D 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 14:34 by Banane »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2012, 19:31 »
I checked and I don't see any other updates other than June 1st 2012. 

No up date but a new pair has been discovered in Ottawa.  :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/06/15/ottawa-falcon-chicks-discovered.html

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2012, 15:39 »
I checked and I don't see any other updates other than June 1st 2012. 

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2012, 14:40 »
A report from the website...

June 1st - 2012
While it appears that the Ottawa Delta peregrines may not have a hatch this year, we all still have our fingers crossed that it still may happen. They are now closing on 35 days of incubation, and its getting down to the wire as they say.

Did any chicks hatch here?

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2012, 14:13 »
Jeez.....again?  :(
This is the 3rd year in a row.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2012, 13:24 »
A report from the website...

June 1st - 2012
While it appears that the Ottawa Delta peregrines may not have a hatch this year, we all still have our fingers crossed that it still may happen. They are now closing on 35 days of incubation, and its getting down to the wire as they say.

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2012, 09:09 »
That would be great!  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 19:17 »
...Maybe it's a new resident?
Or I wonder if it's the other pair who was reported to have been seen in the Alta Vista area last year, Banane. :-\

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2012, 07:13 »
I'm pretty sure I spotted a Peregrine flying above the traffic at the intersection of Riverside Dr and Heron Rd. That's a bit far from downtown for it be either Diana or Connor. Maybe it's a new resident?

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 09:48 »
I hope Connor and Diana have a better year this year at least there appears to be some incubation going on. I wonder if the second mystery falcon pair will be potted again.
Looking forward to the updates!  ::)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 20:35 »
Web page blog reports that there are eggs here now, although I don't know how many and as of March 30th, incubation has begun. :D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
ON / Ottawa - Delta Hotel - 2012 / Connor & Diana
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 20:32 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

Apparently, Connor & Diana have been spotted in their usual locations around the Crowne Plaza since early February. Last week it was confirmed that pair bonding has been observed. :D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: ON / Ottawa - Crowne Plaza - 2011 / Connor & Diana
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2011, 11:09 »
Thanks for the report, Kinderchick.  I wish for better luck for our peregrines next year in Ottawa.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2011, 10:31 »
Received an e-mail reply to my inquiries from the CPF webmaster yesterday. Apparently, Connor & Diana have not been positively identified as the resident birds at this site. Nonetheless, they were unsuccessful at producing chicks again this year. However, there is a second nesting pair in Ottawa, who did produce one hatchling and it survived to fledge. 8) It doesn't sound as if anything is known about this second pair, though.

Here is the e-mail I received, for anyone interested...

"The Ottawa nest at the Delta Ottawa City Centre nest has in fact failed this year.  While there are two resident adult peregrines still on site / territory, their identity via their band numbers have NOT been confirmed this season.

With regards to a second nest site in the Ottawa area, yes there is a second nest site, one that produced at least one hatchling, and this youngster did in fact fledge successfully. By the time it was brought to our attention, the youngster has already fledged.

Updated news will follow shortly, as we are still trying to get caught up on all the happenings. We are still very behind updated the CPF web site frame work due to all of the new nest sites and the addition of these new banding events and fledge watches. Sadly, our menu page is way behind.  As you know, our first priority is in the field with the birds, with the web site secondary."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:02 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 15:54 »
No news from this site since June 30th, so I'm thinking that the nest site was unsuccessful, once again. Still waiting for confirmation of this from project coordinator, though.

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 12:15 »
I know some obeservations regarded a possible "other pair" have been posted. It would be nice to host a second pair of peregrines. I wouldn't mind at all.
Have a nice weekend!

Anne

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 11:45 »
...I have heard reports of two falcons hunting together in the Alta vista area of Ottawa this spring. I was surprised to hear that because I knew that Diana and Connor were possibly nesting and we shouldn't see both of them hunting at the same time so far from their nest...
That is interesting, Banane... I do know the Ottawa area somewhat, because my sister used to live there and I have friends who still live there. Do you suppose there might have been another pair in town? :-\ The Alta Vista area does seem awfully far away from the nest area for Connor & Diana to be hunting together in the Spring. I might ask the site coordinator about that.

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 10:35 »
I don't work downtown but do drive my sister to work in that area every morning. I haven't seen any activity but I avoid looking up while driving  :). I have heard reports of two falcons hunting together in the Alta vista area of Ottawa this spring. I was surprised to hear that because I knew that Diana and Connor were possibly nesting and we shouldn't see both of them hunting at the same time so far from their nest.
They are so clever aren't they. From the report I heard, one of the falcons would scare the pigeons off the roof of an appartment building in Alta Vista (Near the Kilborn community gardens where I have a plot) and then the second falcon would chase one of spooked pigeons.
Anyhow, I hope that next year, our falcons find the perfect condition to have successful hatches.
I am glad Rosser, Rain, Beatrix, Cade and Carson are thriving. It would be nice to be in "the thick" of the action but they are in good hands with all the volunteers in Winnipeg and Brandon.
Thank you.
Anne

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 09:05 »
We haven't heard anything new from Diana and Connor in a while? I supposed no news is bad news in this case. Did the nest fail? ???...
I haven't heard anything since June 30th, Banane. I suspect that the nest has failed again. :( I do have a message into the site, to see if there is any more recent news of them. Have you been down to the Ottawa Crowne-Plaza yourself? I was visiting Ottawa last August and went down there with a friend to check things out. I was lucky to observe them flying overhead, at one point. So glad that you are enjoying our Manitoba peregrine falcons. :)

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 08:57 »
We haven't heard anything new from Diana and Connor in a while? I supposed no news is bad news in this case. Did the nest fail? ???
We haven't had much luck in Ottawa in the last couple of years? What's up?
I've been getting my "fix" from the Winnpeg and Brandon cams/forum for the last 3 years. I love it and enjoy seeing the younglings grow up and become confident birds.
Thank you.
 :)
Anne in Ottawa

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 20:52 »
Hatching is expected any time now, although not sure how many eggs there are since there is no live webcam at this site anymore.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 19:25 »
There is a possibility that there may be a second pair of peregrine falcons in Ottawa, besides Diana & her partner. The website says to "stay tuned". :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 20:32 »
Sounds as if Diana & her partner are still incubating eggs. Apparently a trio of Turkey Vultures flying overhead caused a commotion at the nest area today. Diana was observed to be making a lot of noise as they were passing overhead. But apparently, all is still well at the Crowne Plaza nest. :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 14:14 »
Last Thursday's news from the Ottawa nestsite...

!!! Ottawa is down on eggs!
May 12, 2011 - Ottawa - Delta Ottawa City Centre
CPF Postmaster Reports:
We have just received news from Eve Ticknor that the pair have finally gone down onto incubation! Eve reports that their resident female “Diana”is well hidden, behind a pillar, 2 down from the northwest corner. Sadly, because of the pillars, we will have no way to count eggs nor to tell just when the hatch takes place. It will be a different kind of Falcon Watch this year.

Resident female has been confirmed to be Diana, although I still haven't heard if the male at this site is still Connor. It would be very exciting if Ottawa had a hatch or two this year, since this nest has been unsuccessful for the past few years.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 14:18 by Kinderchick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 11:58 »
Friday's news of the Ottawa peregrine falcons...

!!! Copulation reported!
May 06, 2011 - Ottawa - Delta Ottawa City Centre
CPF Postmaster Reports:
No eggs as of yet in Ottawa in spite of mating being observed. Both peregrines are staying faithful to the hotel but there is still construction on the roof of the Constitution Square and nearby which may be upsetting their routines.
By the way, the Crowne Plaza Hotel is now known as the Delta Ottawa City Centre.
Eve

There may be eggs yet! :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 14:18 by Kinderchick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 19:46 »
Yesterday's news from the Ottawa Crowne Plaza... 8)

!!! Birds are very much still on territory!
May 05, 2011 - Ottawa - Crowne Plaza
CPF Postmaster Reports:
Good morning everyone,

(7:20 a.m.) I was heading towards Kent/Slater Streets and in the distance I admired an aerial show from a pair of adult peregrine falcons. They both cut quite an impressive figure above the bustling city. By the time I reached the Crowne Plaza Hotel I found an adult perched facing inward on the SW corner of the rooftop.
Take care and keep smiling!
N. McKenna

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 14:17 by Kinderchick »

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 22:02 »
 :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 21:10 »
Yes, Elaine, I think we would all be happy with that news, webcam or no webcam. :)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 12:06 »
Thanks for the info, Kinderchick.  Overall, what we all want are breeding falcons, whether we see them on camera, or not, so I would be satisfied just to know that our Ottawa falcons have chicks.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 21:22 »
And here is the rest of the e-mail I received, since attempting to post the whole e-mail in one post, put me over the 5,000 character limit. ::)

...In any case, we are working on the cameras and hope to have many of them replaced by next year. Some of the temporary fixes and repairs are currently being done (where we can) to get these existing cams back on line until their replacement this fall.

While I am very pro web camera, there are other CPF directors that see them as a huge money pit that no-longer helps the foundation in its financial challenges and needs.  I must agree as I can argue with the overall costs of maintaining added costs of hi-speed internet connections, telephone lines and the huge increased bandwidth cost from the CPF web site host for all of the images.  Last year we had some 80.6 million hits to the CPF web site and the cost of the bandwidth was excessive indeed!

We have several other cameras that are not publishing to the CPF web site, ones that we can not display to the public (as per our agreements with the nest site hosts) not wanting them to be made “public”.  These cameras are for monitoring purposes and as with all of the cameras, they are primarily used to help us and the building management groups manage the sites, allowing us to gather logistics necessary on the birds activity to help them schedule routine building maintenance and repairs on their commercial buildings in and around, before and after the birds activities to avoid problems with the provincial endangered species acts that protect the peregrines.  We are managing some 16 different active peregrine nest sites,, all on private property.  This is our primary focus for the cameras these days, not so much the show and tell aspect anymore.  Although I am still a firm believer of the educational value of the cams and will be a staunch supporter of the web cams.  We have learned so much about the behaviour of the birds and still after more than 16 years since CPF installed one of the very first and only peregrine web cams on the internet – (back in 1995), and still learning something new most every day with their use!

Please bear with us and stay tuned as we’re working on it.  We do have a CPF news page, where all of the updates are being posted and we’re trying our best to stay current, - http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/news.html , but remember,, we tooo are a volunteer driven organization that depends on the many volunteers to help us through day to day and keep us updated on the current happenings.

Wishing you guys a great season, and please say hello to all of our friends out there!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 21:19 »
Sometime near the end of March, I sent an e-mail, inquiring about Conner & Diana and the Crowne Plaza webcam in Ottawa, which does not seem to have been operating for awhile now. Earlier this week, I received a reply, which does not sound too promising for an upgraded webcam any time soon...  :(

Sorry for the long time to respond as I have been in the field and on the road for the past weeks doing site visits, nest box repairs, and addressing client and building site nest hosts. Thank you for your support and interest.  Welcome aboard and glad to have another peregrine lover!

Sadly, we have had some terrible challenges with several of our web cams over the past two seasons, and this year is shaping up to be another problem year. With aging cameras (some of them are now 14 years old), with many of them having been running for the past 14 plus years, seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 12 months a year, and 365 days a year since they were installed back in  1995, 1997 and 1999 respectively. As you may know, most of our southern Ontario urban nesting “adult” peregrines do not migrate south for the winter and can be seen all year long on the nest ledges. While we not keep the images viewable to the www and the general public throughout most of the winter months – (due to the excessive cost of the bandwidth with the entire world watching) , the cameras are all still on and we are accessing them directly – and daily – real time live through our own office and home computers with the security software we have installed on the remote computers located at each camera/nest site.

That being said, while they were all the best that money could buy back then (and they were all very expensive cameras then), and even decent technology even by today’s standards, they are starting to fail and let us down given their age and high use.  As such, we are trying to replace each camera as the money become available. Remembering that we are a small Canadian registered charity, (one that is not government funded or supported in any way) and solely dependant on the generosity of the publics support through donations and contributions to exist day to day. Then there is the added new expense of replacing the web cams. We have never been cheap, (but always poor),, and will not replace the cameras with anything that will not stand the test of time. We got 14 plus years from our existing security cameras without ever having to anything more that clean the camera lenses at banding time.

Sadly, some of the newer existing cameras that were added several years ago were cheap patch work quilt stuff that only allowed us to monitor the nest, and the quality is what you would expect from cheap equipment. They were never designed to provide the general public with a show and tell image...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 14:16 by Kinderchick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
ON / Ottawa - Crowne Plaza - 2011 / Connor & Diana
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 21:04 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

News from the Crowne Plaza in downtown Ottawa...

Ottawa adults are both on site and very visible. :D

April 13th /2011
While it is still a little early for eggs in Ottawa for the peregrines, it is worth reporting some of the recent updates and observation reports and question that have been coming in.

With a huge thank you to the reporters, it is being reported that both birds are now being observed daily (and at the same time now), on the Crowne Plaza Hotel upper ledges, (and in particular), both in and on the south west and south east corners of same. While these spots on the ledges are also favoured roosting spots, the increased photo-cell, longer days and the sun starting to both appear and stay more often these days, we expect to see some serious courtship activity very soon. Copulation, egg fertilization and production is not far away!

The birds have for the most parts in recent years utilized both ledges on the southeast and southwest sides to lay and incubate their eggs and raise their families. Sadly, with the un-timely scheduled window washing activities over the past years and the territorial battles between squabbling females fighting it out for the nest site, it is very likley that these additional stresses have added to the recent problems of low production at this nest site.

Historically, the site had always been a low production site.

As a result of these types of disturbances and intrusions, it has forced the birds to move back and forth to the opposite sides of the building during the birds courtship, nest ledge selection routines, and the critical period of egg fertilization, egg production and egg laying processes.

We can only hope that at least the non-essential and critical human activities will be held off until later in the summer and that the territorial disputes diminish to allow the birds the space they need to both lay, incubate and successfully hatch their eggs, and raise their hatchlings to fledge.
Stay tuned………

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 14:15 by Kinderchick »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Ottawa - Crowne Plaza - 2010 / Connor & Diana
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 04:54 »
I'm so glad and relieved you saw them kinderchick!  Interesting news about seeing three.  It's sad that no one there even has a clue about them.   :-\

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 21:14 »
Was busy last night, getting ready for my return to Winnipeg today so am finally posting my news of Conner & Diana this evening. Went down to the Crowne-Plaza with a friend late yesterday afternoon. Walked around the hotel area several times, looking for any sign of Conner and/or Diana. Didn't see anything at first, couldn't even see any sign of a nestbox on the roof from down below on the street (I'm sure it was tucked back out of sight). So we ventured into the hotel to inquire about the nestbox and the peregrines, only to be to told that "peregrine falcons are an endangered species so we can't tell you anything more about them."  ::) I did have a little chuckle about this revelation and as the conversation continued, I soon realized that the guy at the information wicket really didn't know anything at all about Conner & Diana. So off we went, out into the street, walking around a few blocks again. After about another half hour, we decided to head back to our car and took one last look up in the sky. Then, I thought I could hear that familiar peregrine falcon squawk... and lo and behold, quite high up in the sky, over above the river, which is not too far from the Crowne-Plaza, I am almost certain that we spotted 3 peregrine falcons. 8) I can't be absolutely sure, but through my friend's binoculars, they sure did look like peregrine falcons, the way they were swooping and gliding. Does anyone know if Conner & Diana had any chicks this year?  :-\ I'm going to check the Ottawa peregrine falcon website homepage and see if I can contact someone there who is monitoring this site. Anyway, we did indeed have fun, kittenface and carly! ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:44 by Kinderchick »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 16:08 »
Heading down to the Crowne-Plaza Hotel here in Ottawa with a friend.  :) Phoned the hotel and was connected with someone there who is keeping an eye on Conner and Diana. Was told that they can be seen or heard in the later afternoon. So that is when we will go! :) Sure hope we do see/hear them!  :D Have a pair of excellent binocs, so here's hoping! 8)

Excellent news Kinderchick!  Please let us know if you see them and how they are doing!

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 15:45 »
Heading down to the Crowne-Plaza Hotel here in Ottawa with a friend.  :) Phoned the hotel and was connected with someone there who is keeping an eye on Conner and Diana. Was told that they can be seen or heard in the later afternoon. So that is when we will go! :) Sure hope we do see/hear them!  :D Have a pair of excellent binocs, so here's hoping! 8)
I hope you get to see them and have a lot of fun

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 11:24 »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 22:40 »
Biologists here don't look after the sites anymore Kinderchick..it's strictly a volunteer type of thing if there was a birding association there who was interested...
...All that being said, if you have friends who want to see them then there is nothing stopping them from grabbing some binoculars and hanging out down there to keep tabs on them. 

Thanks, carly. I guess I just assumed that all sites were managed by volunteer scientists (biologists?) like Tracy here in Winnipeg. ::) Guess we are pretty fortunate to have someone with her expertise and commitment here in Winnipeg. 8)
I may head down to the Crowne-Plaza with my own binoculars when I visit my friends in Ottawa in August. :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 20:31 »
That has been the same picture for the camera for over a year the falcon has never moved  ::)
Yes, I did notice that, kittenface, every time I have tried to open the webcam. ::) Then who is posting the incorrect observations on the homepage? ??? Does anyone know if there's someone I can contact there (with up-to-date, reliable information - like say, a biologist) who is involved with this site? I can't seem to find any contact info on the homepage. :-\

I don't know if they are incorrect per say..I just know the site is not monitored regularly.  If you only drop by a site once a month or less ..you don't get the entire picture of what is going on.  As far as I know there is no one monitoring that site on a regular basis - it's more like call the one or two people they know and ask them to go check on the site.  I can ask and find out for you if you like.  

Biologists here don't look after the sites anymore Kinderchick..it's strictly a volunteer type of thing if there was a birding association there who was interested and I don't think there is currently or if the building shows an interest they will contact the MNR/CPF if there is something going on.  If there are young and there is public interest then they will band but otherwise they are being allowed to live without interference.  It was different when they were listed as endangered but they are not anymore in Ontario..they were moved to threatened awhile back.

The MNR is in the process of doing a new count of the Pefa here this year and it is expected they will be de-listing them again.  What does that mean?  Well it means they are doing quite well and with our government being broke and cutting back on costs - they will likely redirect any funds to another species that needs help.  

All that being said, if you have friends who want to see them then there is nothing stopping them from grabbing some binoculars and hanging out down there to keep tabs on them. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 20:36 by carly »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 13:54 »
That has been the same picture for the camera for over a year the falcon has never moved  ::)
Yes, I did notice that, kittenface, every time I have tried to open the webcam. ::) Then who is posting the incorrect observations on the homepage? ??? Does anyone know if there's someone I can contact there (with up-to-date, reliable information - like say, a biologist) who is involved with this site? I can't seem to find any contact info on the homepage. :-\

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 13:08 »
Must be new then!  Or old and they fixed it or someone gave me the wrong information...naw that would never happen  :P  ::)
That has been the same picture for the camera for over a year the falcon has never moved  ::)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 11:47 »
Must be new then!  Or old and they fixed it or someone gave me the wrong information...naw that would never happen  :P  ::)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 10:23 »
Well, here is the link to the homepage where there appears to be a webcam, carly. :-\

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/Web_Cams/Ottawa/index.htm

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 20:29 »
No web cam in Ottawa that I ever heard of.  I'd be surprised to be honest about this entire story...the place has had eggs vanish for years 'mysteriously' ...with a door left ajar of course...cause falcons never close the door behind them!  

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 20:30 by carly »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 19:30 »
Found this post on the Ottawa-Hull homepage. Very interesting...

!!! Very unusual behaviour!
June 27, 2010 - Ottawa - Crowne Plaza
CPF Postmaster Reports:

"There has been an interesting development with the Ottawa falcons. After more than five weeks of incubating three eggs to no avail, Diana and Connor were expected to abandon their nest. Last Tuesday brought a surprise: While one of the old eggs was fractured and now outside the nest, there were still three eggs in the nest. That means Diana laid another egg while still incubating two of the old ones. By Wednesday, the egg outside the nest was gone, but they continued to incubate three eggs as usual.
This behaviour — adding a new egg to an existing clutch after weeks of incubating - (and whle currently still incubating) — is unusual, to say the least. If anyone has ever encountered this phenomenon before, or can explain it, please let us know.
It’s not likely that the new egg has been fertilized, but we continue to monitor the nest to see what our falcons might do next."

Posted on June 27, 2010 9:50 am
Observation for Ottawa - Crowne Plaza
Photo by Anouk

Does anyone know if this webcam is still up and running? ??? The homepage says it is on all year since it seems these peregrines hang around all year. I have not been able to access the webcam. I have a friend in Ottawa who would like to see this. I will be in Ottawa in mid August so hope to be able to locate the nestsite. 8)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 12:13 »
Oh, that IS good news, carly! :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 21:08 »
No news on Connor or Diana lately but a new update on a previous resident.  I love when they hear about someone that is older - she'd be six years old!  You never hear of some of them and figure they maybe didn't make it and then you hear news like this and it just makes you smile   :D

!! Zanar has been located, and with her new family of four!
June 11, 2010 - Ottawa - Crowne Plaza
CPF Postmaster Reports:

We have just received some great news from Mary Beth down in New York state.
She has been closely monitoring the nesting activities of the Ogdensburg bridge peregrines and in addition to finding out that the pair have in fact produced four hatchlings this year, and nesting on the Canadian side,,, she has been able to identify the band number of the resident adult female!
I just checked the band number against our records and we have been able to positively identify the identity of the resident adult female as being named “ Zanar”,, produced at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Ottawa Ontario on 2004, banded Black 69 over Black K, with a sliver USFW band # 168705686

Zanar was banded at 25 days old, 920 grams – (empty crop weight), June 11th 2004

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
ON / Ottawa - Crowne Plaza - 2010 / Connor & Diana
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 14:28 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

As of March 14th, both birds are on territory ....

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Ottawa - Crowne Plaza - 2009 / Connor & Diana
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 13:46 »
Thanks Bev!  Glad you are there visiting them!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
ON / Ottawa - Crowne Plaza - 2009 / Connor & Diana
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:05 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

I noticed when I was on the CPF site that there was mention of a new falcon in Ottawa.
well I was talking to EVe ticknor last night at their falconwatch(a block from me) adn no one checked it out asthere was no 10 Wellington in Ottawa.
So Peter and I checked it out. well there is  10 Welligton in Hull ,just across the brdge) .You can see the buildings it is on from the Ottawa side.
I have pictures and there deffintely is a falcon there. Did not see 2 but that does not mean there are not 2. Hope it does not try to snag the mate from this site.
Lots of room for a new pair there. And a perfect safe spot. could not have picked a better spot myself.
I showed the Pictures to Eve and I think it is a juvenille like waseported. They seem to think an adult.
I will post pictures when i get back.

It is far enough away  from this site but I guess the Ottawa birds have had free reighn of territory and may have to establish boundaries. I would guess this pair knows it is there.
and yes, I saw the Ottawa peregrines.
First day we were here , we walked the block down and there they were.

I hope it is monitored and does not get forgotten because it is on the wrong side of the river.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
ON / Ottawa - Delta Hotel - 2009-13
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 12:11 »
Ottawa Delta Hotel (formerly Crowne Plaza)
Ottawa, Ontario

The hotel used to be a Crowne Plaza and is now a Delta Hotel.  The hotel is at 101 Lyon Street North between Albert Street to the south and Queen Street to the north.  The nest box is located in the northwest corner of the hotel - in the photo below the box isn't visible but rather is located in a a gap just below the overhang.

Webcam link: www.peregrine-foundation.ca/Web_Cams/Ottawa/  (seems like the cam is not active - seems static - 21 Apr 2023)

CPF website: www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/ottawa-crowne-plaza/

Resident Pairs & Offspring
  • more information posted soon

photos: