Author Topic: ON / Ottawa - Delta Hotel - 2009-13  (Read 13492 times)

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
Re: ON / Ottawa - Delta Hotel - 2013 / ? & ?
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2013, 11:24 »
For the last couple of days, when driving on my way home, I've spotted one juvenile on each day watching the world go by from their favourite perching spots (the little shelf area next to the ledges). The youngster was in a different spot each day. I can only see 2 sides of the building so I don't know if the sibling was on the other side...and I can't tell them apart anyway. We had some pretty nasty weather which included tornado watches a week ago. They are smart birds and I'm sure mom and dad made sure the young ones were out of harm's way.
It looks like all is well at this end.  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2013, 22:31 »
Any news of the Billings Bridge PF juvies since we spotted them a week ago, Banane? ??? We probably need a new board for these birds, TPC, since these are not on the Crowne Plaza & likely not related to Conner & Diana.

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 07:24 »
I had the pleasure of meeting Kinderchick yesterday afternoon. She was faster at posting our findings on the forum than I was. It was very exciting to meet her and to visit the new falcon nest site. We think we figured out where the location of the ledge the nest was located because the sidewalk below showed many bird droppings. One of the juveniles was at that location, perharps a female?? On the opposite side of the building we spotted another juvie; he would have had to fly there...perhaps a male??
Two Juvies!!! So exciting!! Thanks for the visit Kinderchick!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2013, 22:50 »
Met up with Banane at the Billings Bridge Plaza in Ottawa this afternoon. We drove to the location of the new nesting pair of peregrine falcons on a gov't bldg. behind the plaza.  Did not spot any adults but were very fortunate to see 2 juveniles, each on different sides of the building. Was I ever happy to have brought my binocs along! We assumed they may have already fledged, or at least one of them, since they were no longer together. There is no nest box on this building, just a concrete ledge. Very exciting to meet Banane. And very exciting to see the 2 juvies!  :D

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2013, 13:14 »
Hi Kinderchick,

I was on holidays the last 2 weeks and didn't see your message. Have you been to Ottawa already? On my way home yesterday afternoon I think I still saw a dark shape on the ledge of the Heron Rd building. The building is behind the Billings Bridge shopping mall and can be accessed via "Data Centre Rd". The building is mainy white and ~9 stories high. I'm not sure what its actual address is, but if I you send me a message at I can send you a map of the area.
I would love to meet you too.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2013, 10:52 »
... Until yesterday I hadn't see any falcon, but on my drive home I glanced up at the Heron Road building, where the new pair nested last year, and I think I saw 2 falcons up there. I can't be sure because I was pretty far away but I saw 2 dark falcon-sized shapes on the ledge above the highest window but below the roof. It's the south-east side of the building so it would make sense to see the falcons on that side. I was pretty excited about that sighting...

Which building on Heron Road did you see the peregrine falcons, Banane? What is the closest intersection? ??? I will be in Ottawa this summer & want to check out the birds in person. Will also check out Diana & her mate on the Crowne Plaza, which I believe has been renamed The Delta Ottawa City Centre, if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2013, 07:26 »
I spotted them again yesterday afternoon. This is the only place I hope to catch a red light! It give me time to inspect the ledge safely!  ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2013, 20:08 »
That's great news, Banane! Keep your eyes on the sky but also on the road, if you're driving. ;)

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2013, 07:23 »
Hi Kinderchick,

Until yesterday I hadn't see any falcon, but on my drive home I glanced up at the Heron Road building, where the new pair nested last year, and I think I saw 2 falcons up there. I can't be sure because I was pretty far away but I saw 2 dark falcon-sized shapes on the ledge above the highest window but below the roof. It's the south-east side of the building. so it would make sense to see the falcons on that side. I was pretty excited about that sighting. I'll keep watching.  :)

Anne

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2013, 10:00 »
Any news of this pair, Banane? ??? Haven't heard anything about these 2 or any other PF's in Ottawa since mid March.

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2013, 08:22 »
Hi Kinderchick,
When I drive home from work I pass by the Heron Rd building where last year's new pair nested, but so far I haven't seen any falcons on ledges, mind you, I'm keeping one eye on the road and one on the building so I don't see everything. But the building is a light grey and the falcons are dark so I should be able to see something even from the distance I am at.
I had heard from fellow gardeners at the Kilborn garden plots, that a couple of years ago there was a Peregrine falcon that was hunting pigeons on the appartment building adjacent to the garden plots on Kilborn Ave. I will keep an eye out for any activity when I'm there gardening.
I'd like to think the falcon circling my house was saying "Hi" and showing off; it could also be that he/she was keeping an eye on the pigeons that seem to roost in a neighbour's yard a few houses down.  ::)

Anne

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2013, 17:50 »
How exciting to see/hear a PF circling above your house, banane! 8) Do you know if there are any reports of a 2nd nesting PF pair in the Ottawa area? If you recall, there was a report of a nesting pair on a 10-story building on Heron Rd. last year. 3 chicks were spotted, with one falling to it's death. Would be great if you were to hear anything about these PF's. :D I wonder if the one you saw was from that nest? :-\ For some reason, Diana & Conner don't seem to be having much luck producing offspring. :(

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2013, 07:26 »
On the afternoon of May 5th 2013, I saw and heard a falcon circling above my house. It was pretty high up but I'm 99% sure it was a Peregrine. Later that afternoon I saw and heard the ?same? falcon again. Both sightings were in the Elmvale Acres neighbourhood in Ottawa near the Kilborn allotment gardens.  :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2013, 17:50 »
Actually, the webcam here has not been active for several years, TPC. :( I inquired about the webcam and that's what I have been told, unfortunately. The view that you see of a PF on the ledge is a still photo that has remained as is for several years. I do receive updates from the website, though. Apparently, a PF was spotted eating a pigeon in the car park of the mall at the intersection of Innes Rd and Blair Rd on Feb. 12th. :)

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2013/02/sightings/more-activity-sighted-with-spring-in-the-air/

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 17:55 by RCF »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2013, 14:43 »
Actually, the webcam here has not been active for several years, TPC. :( I inquired about the webcam and that's what I have been told, unfortunately. The view that you see of a PF on the ledge is a still photo that has remained as is for several years. I do receive updates from the website, though. Apparently, a PF was spotted eating a pigeon in the car park of the mall at the intersection of Innes Rd and Blair Rd on Feb. 12th. :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 14:48 by Kinderchick »