Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2009 / Ivy & Jules  (Read 50114 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
West Winnipeg - 2009 / October
« Reply #532 on: October 29, 2009, 23:04 »
Again I post another *sigh*...

Jules and Ivy were a treat to watch fly across the West Winnipeg sky! 
Ivy looks more and more like Trey everyday!
Jules is a beauty and I hope she can calm down and not spook so easily so there will be little white fluffy cuties.
Oh how I will miss the falcons in the Western skies!

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #531 on: October 29, 2009, 17:24 »
They weren't there when I first looked, either.
Yes, it is nice!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #530 on: October 28, 2009, 22:59 »
I think I might have seen it right after it was posted because I just got the email from the author saying it was posted online.  Probably just by fluke that I saw the first draft online before the credits were posted!!!

Pretty nice though don't you think?

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #529 on: October 28, 2009, 22:04 »
Tracy, thanks for thinking of that, I see they have now included photo credits. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #528 on: October 25, 2009, 14:20 »
Don't know for sure the parents broke the egg, could have been attacked by crows, had a single hole in it - could have bashed against anything when it rolled.  Why would it roll you ask, because Jules & Ivy were nesting on a hard flat surface with no scrape in the gravel to keep their eggs contained.  And they were scared off the eggs frequently it appeared to us - not intentionally, just not a great nestsite and they were constantly on alert.  As for the other two eggs, the article is a bit wrong ... the eggs disappeared and we assume they were "disappeared" either by the parents (like Trey & Princess) because they were not viable OR because a crow or something similar got to the nest, spooked off Jules/Ivy, got the eggs and poof.  As I said, not an ideal nest location!!  I think the "parents took them" was a cross-over from the Radisson story where Trey or Princess removed one egg after about a week of incubation.  No worries though, it's nice to have a great piece like that.

One thing that is actually two related things is that the bottom photo isn't of Ivy, its of Jules and I really wish they had identified the photographers.  I gave them the middle image but the first was taken from our photo gallery and is a photo taken by Pam and the bottom was taken from Dennis' photo gallery.  The photo I provided that they didn't use was one of the chicks, which is one they asked for specifically but hey.  What bothers me more is that none of them have photo credits.  I will email to see if they will add them and will let you know how I make out.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #527 on: October 24, 2009, 22:50 »
*sigh*
I will miss watching Jules and Ivy!! 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #526 on: October 24, 2009, 22:19 »
Here's a neat new story about the Winnipeg peregrines ... The best and worst years for Winnipeg’s peregrine falcons in the online magazine PegMag.

Thanks for posting the link to this story, Tracy. Interesting article and wonderful photos :D!

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #525 on: October 24, 2009, 17:38 »
Great story, thanks, Tracy.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #524 on: October 24, 2009, 00:21 »
I love this pair!  Yes, unfortunate things happened this year but I truly believe that this pair will produce strong chicks one day!  It's in the genes!!!  ;D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #523 on: October 24, 2009, 00:05 »
The sad bit about the eggs seemed new to me, I didn't realize one egg was accidentally broken by the parents.  Otherwise it was a great article, and with good choice of photos.
It is exciting to realize this year there were seven leaving.  Wonder where they are now?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #522 on: October 23, 2009, 19:58 »
Great story and love the postcard tale..lol..that's something I'd have written too... ;D

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #521 on: October 23, 2009, 19:28 »
Great article.  Love the last bit about the postcard!  What a perfect way to end it.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #520 on: October 23, 2009, 18:35 »
That's an excellent and interesting article - and I love the photos!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #519 on: October 23, 2009, 17:34 »
Here's a neat new story about the Winnipeg peregrines ... The best and worst years for Winnipeg’s peregrine falcons in the online magazine PegMag.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #518 on: October 04, 2009, 01:31 »
thanks for the report Dennis...much appreciated.  Too bad there was no sign of them this time, which surprises me as they see you coming!   ;)