Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2013 / Chase & Radisson  (Read 33587 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2013 / Chase & Radisson
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2013, 23:40 »
It was amazing. I am so glad Gord is doing this. We had a disastrous season this year. I would love to see them all in nature .

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2013, 17:25 »
Loved all the photos bev!  It would be amazing to just sit and watch them interact and play together.   8) ;D

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2013, 15:48 »
Such wonderful pictures bev.  Thank you so much for sharing.  :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2013, 15:15 »
I will post a few picutres. and then you can click on last picture and follow arrow to right and see rest. I tried to let you see some of area and one of hack boxes and the falcon tree and some antics of some of the peregrines. I have tons of pictures and remember we were on the bridge down from boxes
Steve , the falconer is speaking at fundraiser at Bin 104 , so should be very informative.

there is lots to see if you clikc on last picture and go to right with arrows

it was very emotional for me as I knew 5 of ours were flying there. It was magic

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2013, 14:33 »
this tree is along the pembina  river. Peter and I went out Thursday morning. fThere are two hakc boxes there.

And there are lots of cliffs. it was amazing to see them flying and talon touching and ;laying and soaring . we saw two falcons  in that tree, and some on the cliff ledges and some flying along the river banks ,

this hack site is in a natural setting. lots of trees, cliffs and open spaces. a falconer monitors this site 24 hours a day.

the young birds are put in these boxes before they can fly. This way they imprint on this site, and hopefully migrate back to this site or a site like it. . They are fed quail and such every day. When they are ready to fly , box is open, and they test their wings.They fly at will, no adults to feed them.
They learn from instinct and do they ever learn. We saw it with our eyes. If one gets into trouble, falconer helps out. he swam the river last year to help on e back to box that he thought was not quite ready.
It is truly amazing. It is not ususual to see them perch in tree after a flight. ( if you watch orange , in Australia, the adults and young perch in trees across from box.)

I will  be right back with a few picutres so you can see site. I think I posted it last year but I will post again

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2013, 18:03 »
Thanks for this explanation of the difference between a nestsite & a hacksite, TPC. I had noticed that it looked more like a perch than an actual tree.

It kind of looks like a dead fir tree to me, great for perching in though!  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2013, 13:48 »
Thanks for this explanation of the difference between a nestsite & a hacksite, TPC. I had noticed that it looked more like a perch than an actual tree.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2013, 16:57 »
bev, where exactly is this tree with all the juvies hanging out? It is unusual to see PF's hanging out in a tree, is it not? You mentioned earlier that it is in an enclosed area. Is this a rehab place or a hack site? ??? I'm not sure exactly how a hack site's work.

Peregrines aren't woodland birds like Merlins so they don't sit in trees because they like to sit in trees.  They will sit in trees when they give them clear views of hunting grounds (like wetlands or farmers fields) - peregrines hunt in the open, either above cities or in clear areas like wetlands, along shorelines, over farmers' fields, that kind of thing.  If you notice the tree doesn't have needles or leaves, its more perch than tree, nothing to get in the way when a peregrine's metre wide wingspan is open.  Another option could be if there were few or no other perch sites near a nest or hack site, given a choice between sitting in a tree or sitting on the ground, peregrines would prefer some altitude.

And a hacksite is the same as a nestsite, the only difference is the way birds are released.  From a nestsite, the chicks fledge when they are ready from a nestbox or whatever the adults have used for a nest.  From a hacksite, captive-bred chicks are able to fledge (again when they are ready) after the hackbox is opened for them. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #146 on: August 16, 2013, 14:36 »
bev, where exactly is this tree with all the juvies hanging out? It is unusual to see PF's hanging out in a tree, is it not? You mentioned earlier that it is in an enclosed area. Is this a rehab place or a hack site? ??? I'm not sure exactly how a hack site's work.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2013, 07:40 »
Wow!!  What a sight!  Thanks Bev :)

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2013, 19:50 »
Thanks for the great and unusual photo!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2013, 19:39 »
That is an amazing photo, bev! 8)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2013, 19:32 »
Pretty cool to see eight peregrine chicks sitting in a tree!!  Thanks bev!  ;D 8)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2013, 19:25 »
I just received this from Gord. I am so excited so we will go out to the hack site tomorrow and see what we can see

All doing extremely well at the Pembina River – all, including your U of A and Weber birds are accounted for and flying like champions.  A photo of the mob enclosed. 

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2013, 20:50 »
Thank you for sharing the photos and the good news that everyone there is doing well. I hope it continues. It is also interesting to see the world around the nest box.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2013, 15:32 »
I want to apologize if labels are not clear. PB is not user friendly anymore and I did go back and try and relabel everything to make it clearer but it would not accept.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2013, 14:42 »
well our green banded girl is doing great and has been flying for a bit over 2 weeks. I am amazed by her skills.  she flies like Radisson. Radisson and Chase are doing a great job. They could have easily taken care of 3 as there is enough food lol

I have posted some photos in gallery up to aug 1 . will do others in a few days.

click on picture below and then follow arrows to left til you stop at weber picutres

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 15:21 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2013, 09:11 »
I will od a full report here in next while with picutres.

We have discussed with Gord , streamers , but we will see

Green girl is an amazing flier like Radison . It is hard to pick out who is who from air at times

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2013, 10:57 »
That makes sound idea TPC, they are tinted, they are probely there anyway. I will look when I have a chance to go again.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2013, 00:03 »
Not a bad idea soaring west.  Wonder who would have to be contacted about this?  Would cost very little to put inside the buildings so birds could see them and not hit the windows.

If the windows are tinted glass, the birds probably wouldn't be able to see the tape from the inside - you'd probably need to have blinds - not fully closed by rather so it makes a pattern ...

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2013, 18:19 »
Not a bad idea soaring west.  Wonder who would have to be contacted about this?  Would cost very little to put inside the buildings so birds could see them and not hit the windows.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #133 on: August 03, 2013, 09:29 »
The real problem is that the top 3 floors are empty and the building is curved and you can look right through the to see sky on the other side. And it is a hospital to boot, government and all kinds of red tape to go through. What red tape may work if it dangled in the inside of the windows like streamers. That might be the only thing I can think of that red tape is good for.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2013, 11:24 »
I didn't know that Linder >:(  That's bad news.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2013, 21:51 »
So sorry for this event. Winnipeg has plans for 3 glass buildings in the next year or two. Unfortunately they are in the vicinity of our downtown birds. We have one close already but so far so good. We will be holding our breath in as for what is to come.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2013, 14:49 »
Thank you for the great news, soaring west. Hope all continues well  :)

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2013, 08:56 »
The good news is that black is ready to get hacked.  :) And green is flying well. as per Peter. when I went last night , they were all tucked in for the night and safe.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2013, 19:03 »
So very sorry to hear about "blue girl". :'(

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2013, 15:33 »
Poor little blue girl... such a tragic ending 

I remember a post saying the chicks should steer away from the Maz, but did not know why, till just reading it is a glass bldg. So heartbreaking that many birds have lost their lives this way... at times, even experienced adults.

Surely a very difficult experience for all who were there.

My sympathy also to Radisson and Chase, who are such good parents. Likely at least one of them saw this, but were unable to do anything  :'(

Hope Bev may regain strength from the memories of those she was able to help.

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2013, 14:43 »
I am so sorry to hear about blue girl.  :'(

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2013, 10:26 »
I'm sorry to hear of blue girl.
This would have been awful to witness. 

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2013, 09:47 »
Very sorry to hear about blue girl.  :(

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2013, 08:29 »
 :'( :'( :'(Sad news here, we lost Blue to the Maz Building. She was coming in low and it is all glass. Bev, is just broken up and needs a break.

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2013, 16:04 »
Thanks soaring west!

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2013, 12:47 »
Blue girl fledge this morning and did not to bad. And green is doing fine and no word on black.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2013, 22:38 »
Great reports again, sw. Here's hoping "black band" is going to be okay.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2013, 18:59 »
This morning at the crack of dawn, I meet up with Peter to do the watch. Now that Green can fly, I went to watch just in case Blue went . Well, just like that off goes Green over our heads and does a bat cake on the college plaza, 3 more feet and she would have made the top. Chase was at the corner of the building, I guess she is a dad`s girl. She slide off and returned back over the parkade and landed on the upper roof just right above the nest. Well , it was time t go to work and leave Peter to wait for Bev.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2013, 16:29 »
I am very thankful that this birds have Bev and Peter. Without them around, us newbies would not have know what to do or watch for.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2013, 13:53 »

Well that was quite an experience for you, soaring!
I’m sure everyone is very grateful for all your help, and happy to hear that all remains well for green band. 
I have been concerned about black ever since he was placed on a nearby roof, but failed to show up at the nest...
I’m thankful he was taken by Gord, and will continue to hope (along with all of you)

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2013, 11:45 »
Black was taken by Gord. we don`t know.. He was rescued by Peter and Bev. He was found on the buildings overhang above the door. Peter was looking on all the lower roofs with security. Just as he came out someone asked if he was looking for the falcon(bio`s in his hand). He said yes, and they pointed to just above his head, looking down on them was black. Bev, came just at the same time and had the blanket spread out down below in case he fly off. Peter went out on to the roof and it never moved, he had to take off his shirt to pick it up. When he got down and put it into the box and started moving the box opened up and out popped black and he did a ground fly. But Bev to the rescue again and got him back. 

:)I forgot to thank Rosemary and Janice for their help on Saturday. Janice was first one down the stairs and was looking for Green. Janice came by and did a second look down the busy street.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:23 by soaring west »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2013, 11:32 »
Wow! What an interesting & thorough report, sw! Thank you! :) Is "black" okay? Who rescued him again on Saturday & is he in rehab or has he been released again? ???

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2013, 11:21 »
black was again rescued Saturday . Near the end of the day green slipped on a jump to the netting and landed on the roof ledge and cat walked for Peter and me, finally stopped around 9.15 p.m. On Sunday Mr and MRS Bev needed a morning to sleep in. So, I went early(5a.m.) and found everyone in the same places as we left them. Pretty quiet  around there, until Chase landed on the camera to wake up the sleeping beauties. Then did several fly bys. Green walked to the other end of the building and just stayed put. Chase landed where she first was and fly off. At 6.40p.m. she for the first time since I got there , green flapped her wings twice and off the building she was. Flying high over our heads and towards the college plaza. She was high enough to land on the apt building but could not stick the lands on the balconies( they are curved inwards) and went around the building with Radisson and Chase in tow. Losing much of her height on the second time around , still missed and fell several more stories and  never made either building and landed somewhere in the middle but out of sight. I have never ran that fast in my life. In case it land on the busy street on the side that we could not see. Had to give up and phone Bev and Peter. But , in my haste I forgot the phone number at work. Ran all the way through the hospital to find security to get the phone number. Then relized that I have no money to use the pay phone( ok yes I should have a cell). Back to the top of the parkade with the box, to get the money. And a kind person lent me hers and phoned Peter to give him the bad news that I lost Bev`s bird. So, Peter comes and cool and calm with not a worry in the world, because with a phone call to someone in the apartment building to look down on the lower roofs , she spotted green girl. In the afternoon she fly back to the nest building. :P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:25 by soaring west »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2013, 23:31 »
Glad to hear that "black band" is doing so well.  :D

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2013, 18:04 »
Now that's what I call enough excitement for one weekend. Well done Bev. And thanks to you all for your reports.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2013, 16:12 »

Thank you for the update soaring west. Poor black had quite an upsetting experience on the ground, hope he can overcome and soon be spotted flying. It’s assuring to know you have several watchers out there, and the expert help of Gord if needed. 
Hope they all stay safe, and wish everyone an enjoyable day of peregrine watching!

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2013, 10:04 »
Burdi, black is doing great, the roof that they left him on, he was still there last night. Which is good since it is windy. Radisson was on a pole above the nest and she could see him. He got feed only after Gord left the area. Gord`s green coat makes them take to the sky screaming. Peter is down there right now looking for black(PG) but until he pops up on to the ledge we all have to wait.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2013, 20:05 »
Looked at the cam earlier to see why so much noise, and found parent was on the roof - tempting the girls with prey. Then (about 15 mins later) I saw they had food, not sure of time but think about 17:20. They sure looked hungry!! Food was disappearing very fast, then both appeared content and napping...

I think they will stay put for the night, at least hope so, as forecast says wind 30 gusting to 50 and thunderstorms near midnight.

Such gorgeous birds! Sorry I have only been able to glance at the cam a couple times today, but wondering, has anyone seen the black banded male since released?

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2013, 14:24 »
Thank you for rescuing black band yesterday bev  :-*
You definitely saved him from any further harm (that could have happened) on that busy road!  :-*

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2013, 13:59 »

Thank you for keeping us updated on all this news, soaring west. Great news to read black band was able to be released! 

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2013, 13:34 »
GREAT NEWS
Bev, said that black(PG) is ok and put back on the roof top close to the nest box. :) :) :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2013, 12:18 »
Whoa... very interesting post, re: black band's rescue, bev! Thanks for posting link, RCF. :-* Hope he is okay.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2013, 12:09 »
Please can someone go to BCAM and move over Bev`s very busy story about yesterday`s resue. She tells it much better than I can. :)

Here's a link to bev's post.

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=262655#p262655

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2013, 11:02 »
Please can someone go to BCAM and move over Bev`s very busy story about yesterday`s resue. She tells it much better than I can. :)

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2013, 07:27 »
Great news for the little guy, and of course for Bev .  Thanks soaring west  :)

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2013, 07:26 »
Great news for Bev.  Thanks soaring west  :)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2013, 14:54 »
Such good news! 

Congratulations, Bev!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2013, 11:21 »
Bev. had her first fledge this morning. The boy did a great first flight.

That's great news soaring west!   :)

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2013, 10:14 »
Bev. had her first fledge this morning. The boy did a great first flight.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2013, 11:28 »
Radisson is such a lovely bird. Last night she went after a bird, but was told by Peter that she was not really trying to get it. But the speed at which her and Chase move around. Wow. Chase was doing fly byes and flying around buildings as trying to show the little man how to do it. Maybe today , but do hope he waits for me. LOL

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2013, 21:30 »

click on this picture and then scroll to right

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2013, 21:24 »
oh my, I di d not realize I have not posted. I thought I was caught up
We started Fledge watch yesterday.

Black band is out on netting. so far so good.

will try and get some photos here

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2013, 16:51 »
thought you might enjoy this video of chase and R feeding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFap7o43BZo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUwWRpd4cSFeXt13squpW4Pw

Thank you for all of your postings, Bev. Always look forward to hearing about our nearby Alberta falcons.

Happy to see Radisson and her mate Chase are doing well. What a charming male Peregrine Chase is becoming!!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2013, 20:42 »
Thank you, Bev, for such a catelogue of great photos.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2013, 12:24 »
I have caught up other Alberta nest also

wEber, Bell and Genesee

Enjoy

my watch starts on July22 so I will do what I can in posting here

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2013, 12:01 »
another more recent series .
clikc an d go right . some are doubles as I forgot i had downloaded :-[

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2013, 11:49 »
another series o f earlier shots
click on picture

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2013, 11:48 »
 a few earlier picutres

If you clikc this picture you will see quite a few more of earlier shots

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2013, 11:36 »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2013, 11:25 »
trying to catch up here

A few from banding
chase during banding

now cupcakes someone made,. click this picture and scroll to right for more

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2013, 10:03 »
Mr. Bev aka Peter was up on the roof too , and taking pictures.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2013, 21:57 »
How wonderful for you, bev!  8) You & "Mr. bev" have been so dedicated to these birds! Was "Mr. bev"  also at the banding?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2013, 12:00 »
I am sorry I have not posted in a while. too many sites keep me hopping

I usually do not hold a chick, even though I have been at bindings there every year for last 4.

I do not becsue I do not want to become attached but this year ,I am not sure why, I decided to. I just love these falcons.

I hope to get back here and post picutres form site.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2013, 11:38 »
Hey, Bev, so glad you had that experience!

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2013, 10:59 »
o-o-h lucky Bev!  To actually get to hold one of these amazing birds, what a treat.  :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2013, 10:25 »
Just a note that Bev was holding one at banding, and her smile was from ear to ear.

Here's a link to some pics with bev holding one of the chicks.  :)

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=261215#p261215

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2013, 10:14 »
Just a note that Bev was holding one at banding, and her smile was from ear to ear.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2013, 15:49 »
Excellent, soaring west! :D

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2013, 15:37 »
We had banding today at the U of A .. we have 2 girls and 1 boy.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2013, 07:42 »
Breakfast for three

Video ~ http://youtu.be/kMuUuI_DT5A

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2013, 01:36 »
thanks for  posting ladies.  ;D

I was busy cutting videos  And then sending e-mails to proper places and running down to Weber and to uni
Radisson is right on track . she has hatched out on day 33 the last 3 years.
I am hoping to see 3rd hatch tomorrow, but will be happy with 2 , if that does not happen.

And I am really pleased with Chase. :-* He may get some things a little backwards but he is a dear. Hopefully will do well bringing home bacon.  Just  not sure what to do when he has it.  ;D ;D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2013, 21:52 »
Chase has a snack......Radisson is protesting a little.

http://youtu.be/xG5QbOEjiZg

Nest Exchange ~ http://youtu.be/aQJptAVlXfo

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2013, 19:30 »
Great news!

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2013, 17:13 »
Looks like 2 :) :)

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2013, 17:10 »
We have a hatch.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2013, 20:25 »
Great photos in your photo gallery, bev! Love the ones of the chicks being fed. :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2013, 20:11 »
click on first picture and then go to right with arrows. I do  not always post picutres as they just show them incubating. sorry, I forgot to post about egg missing. they moved cam back a smidge so I could check corners but unless under lip it has probably been consumed or taken out

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2013, 20:03 »
when cam zoomed in on JUne4 we noticed only 3 eggs. so sometime between when it went down and it zoomed in , an egg disappeared

Gord said it could have cracked. with all the rolling and chasing them around that Chase was dong, I would  not be surprised.

I noticed nothing a

nd keep cam up all the time , so it could have been at dark.

so anytime now we will have a hatch.

Will post a few shots

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2013, 22:13 »
Will it is time for hatch watch at this site now.

Offline Seagirl

• Egg
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2013, 17:35 »
Are there only three eggs now?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2013, 14:23 »
Because both the Bell and U of A or on the same camera link, I don`t know where to post, that the Bell Towerth has 4 chicks today.

We have a separate board for the Bell Tower nest ....
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 14:25 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2013, 18:22 »
I think Radisson , saw the raining coming and rather be dry and chase Chase out into the rain....lol

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2013, 18:14 »
Chase just come off his shift on the eggs. Sounds like somewhere here in the city will get hail.. Hope not...5.14 p.m. nest time

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2013, 17:20 »
I finally got the cam and looked like Radisson was yelling at something.

Video ~ http://youtu.be/MxkgpjrZCSI

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 17:31 by RCF »

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2013, 16:44 »
Everything is ok here with the camera . I have been watching most of the day. Radisson is mostly on the nest today.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2013, 15:10 »
Any new news here?

I can't get the cam at the moment, but you can check this link on BCAW. There hasn't been any postings today.

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=254821#p254821

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2013, 14:53 »
Any new news here?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2013, 14:04 »
they started off with a really deep scrape. I thought they were digging a hole to China. but do not know what happened to it :o

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2013, 12:55 »
I'm interested that her eggs are not in a scrape, rather up on a little flat spot - that certainly makes it easier for the eggs to roll away.  Hurricane and Brooklyn have a deep scrape this year and even Princess and Ivy have a scrape that is a couple of inches deep at the Radisson.  If Chase could figure out how to make a scrape Radisson really liked, that might help keep the eggs in a more singular location ...  ;)

Cute bird though ... heck of a hoover-er ...  ;D

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2013, 12:47 »
that video is so funny. Radisson to the rescue...

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2013, 11:47 »
Great video, Bev! It is so good to see Chase doing better this year. He will learn......he has a good teacher.    ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2013, 09:17 »
Aw! Poor Chase! Hope he begins to get the hang of it. LOL! Good thing Radisson is able to keep all the eggs together and keep Chase in line. :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2013, 00:29 »
I od have lots of photos and video of Bell but Tracy can tell me where to post them

U of A

going great. Chase is doing so much better this year but having trouble at times keeping all eggs under him . he gets distracted LOL
Radisson has to come back and organize them

video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayYx9qx-CIQ

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2013, 17:52 »
 :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 00:48 by RCF »

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2013, 17:37 »
We have two chicks on Bell tower.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2013, 20:40 »
Bev and Mr Bev (Peter) are in Winnipeg right now...
That's great that Bev & Peter will have a chance to see our PF nest boxes here in Winnipeg! ;D

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2013, 20:05 »
Just had a change at the nest Chase was leaving, he needs to be more careful ....During his time in the nest he was gathering pebbles from the corner of the box...

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2013, 19:38 »
We have 4 eggs..  Since, the camera was down on Sunday it could have been layed then.  But was not seen tell today. Way to go Radisson.. and Chase has been on the eggs today, funny to watch him trying to keep all 4 under him.. Radisson just fly off right now and Chase is thinking about if he should go in the box.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2013, 16:53 »
TPC, don`t let them worry, Bev needs the break.... :-X

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2013, 16:50 »
I have been trying to log in the last few days.. The camera is down right now and I still don`t know if we have 4..

Bev and Mr Bev (Peter) are in Winnipeg right now but they have let the folks in Edmonton know about the cam being down, unfortunately, weekends can be tough to fix IT stuff ...

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2013, 16:48 »
I have been trying to log in the last few days.. The camera is down right now and I still don`t know if we have 4..

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2013, 12:16 »
forgot to announce 3 eggs . if number 4 should be today.

chase is doing good job this year. \he is incubating :-*

Great to hear that Chase is doing a good job incubating this year, bev. :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2013, 10:22 »

The cam is down this morning.  :(

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2013, 10:20 »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 14:12 »
What a lovely sight are those eggs in the nestbox.  No doubt Radisson is close by with a watchful eye.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2013, 23:10 »
2 eggs sometime before 5 am may8and after dark may7

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 20:07 »

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 13:01 »

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 11:23 »
RAdisson has 2 eggs now.. :)

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 10:36 »
Great news Bev. and Peter..about the first egg...I watched her until late May 5 and nothing, until I saw May 6 at 8:30am.. I am not a early bird like you..  Have a nice drive to Manitoba...

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 18:24 »
first egg . between 10:30pm May5 and 7 Am May6. I woke up to egg

And we are on our way.

Yayyyy!!!!  Very good news bev!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 16:51 »
pictures night of the intruder

when you get in click to right and you will see all pictures.Cannot figure out how to post video from camera yet
click on picture

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 16:48 »
this intruder appears to be same one we had a few times before Chase came. But other times did not stay long.

last nihgt  it was more  persistent.(friday may3)

Jean is aware of last night so hopefully she can be my eyes when she is home.
so all appeared O.k. last night.

When we got there R was on Medical engineering bldg, north of box .
We did not see Chase.
Peter went to get us a tea an d while he was gone she( RAdisson) flew off beyond Ed building

By the time we got up to top of parkade, .two at box , and the Chase flew up to west corner of Maz
All appeared well( I must note , I heard her alarm call at box just after 6pm but then all seemed well)

He flew off north east and we waited for him to return. As falcons do, he appeared all of a sudden flying out behind Clinical science and then to front of clinical science on jut. R chupped . He then flew past box to top of Maz again.( now I am thinking he saw this one when he was flying above Clinical Science)

It was about 8:40pm so we decided to call it a night as I was hoping R would spend night

AS we were leaving area I saw a falcon fly onto front of  University hospital , just a bit west and  behind Clinical Science . I knew it was not ours so we headed back. R would not be able to see it but Chase could see it.

Sure enough Chase was on the chase. diving and flying and then R flew off box.

Both chased it and then Just R and then she flew back to Maz. Chase kept after  it and then he flew on Maz and they both called at it . It just kept flying .
Chase finally had enough an d we thought it left

(They both hit it a few times)

But no, it came back and Chase just kept dive bombing in area of University hospital. He flew after it and then Chase flew up on CP. it flew past him an d above and Chase went after it again.
finally it headed north.

R came over to College Plaza and sat with Chase
 We headed home

Heart stopping and we believe a female, maybe young , but we will have to be aware ,n ow. Because it was getting dark it was hard to see who this is, but I am 95% sure it was same one as before.

Pictures in next reply

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 16:47 »
first egg . between 10:30pm May5 and 7 Am May6. I woke up to egg

And we are on our way.

Offline transplanted maple

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 17:08 »
Poor Radisson, it is snowing here, she is in the box most of the time ....smart girl she is.

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 16:52 »
I got a chance to go down and see the U of A.. And Radisson showed up right on que..Loved to watch her fly up to the nest. She has this deep u shape to sling shot her up..I didn`t see Chase , when I was watching.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 00:52 »
check Genesee . No new event set up but I have posted in last years. cam up soon but 2 eggs .

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 00:46 »
picture of Radisson with food gift from Chase in box. I will compare picutres from last year, but ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 00:43 »
chase is younger. and I really feel is same one form last year. peter and I went down and we observed. He does same things as our Chase form last year.

He got back after one yesterday afternoon. was flighty at first and after an hour he gave RAdisson her first food gift which she brought to box
In all fairness  to him, he did come in after eggs were laid last year. He was doing well at hunting and started incubating just before eggs hatched. he even started feeding last year. he seemed to go looney after banding. too much happening at box may have set him off.I taking 2 out and treating the remaining one at box for 4 days)

A few pictures

picture we got of him last nihgt after he took leftover food from RAdisson. I f you continue clicking , to right you will see rest of picutres from  our visit there last nihgt

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/peterfull/2013%20petes%20picks/UOFA_013-1_zpsd38c1c1a.jpg

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 21:15 »
Is/was Chase an older looking peregrine?

I thought he was youngish, but maybe that was because he was so clueless as a parent.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 19:37 »
...sometimes older females are distracted by glamour and youth. :)
LOL! Kind of like Princess & Ivy at the Radisson in Winnipeg, Elaine. ;)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 19:32 »
Do we have an ID on the male yet RCF? Bev?

Looking at how pale his breast is, I would immediately suspect he's an older bird - that is how our male birds look when they are 7+ years old and they get paler as they get older ...

He's not banded, but bev thinks it is the male from last year. They gave him the name Chase because he would follow Radisson around all the time.  :) 

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 17:13 »
I agree with bcbird, but I think Bev said somewhere that she thought the male was Chase; if that is the case, well, he was a bit of a dud last year.  But I guess there is not much we can do if Radisson thinks he is just fine; sometimes older females are distracted by glamour and youth. :)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 16:47 »
Radisson deserves a nice older, experienced male for her nestmate.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 09:17 »
Do we have an ID on the male yet RCF? Bev?

Looking at how pale his breast is, I would immediately suspect he's an older bird - that is how our male birds look when they are 7+ years old and they get paler as they get older ...

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 23:28 »
Look at this male!  He is, very, pretty!!!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 22:24 »
Male

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 22:12 »
Oh the wonder of video and sound after years of refresh! 
Thanks for the clip, RCF.
Radisson appears to be very ready to welcome her suiter.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 21:52 »
They have a male here now and bev thinks it's Chase from last year. Here is a little video of Radisson in the box. The male must have been close by but didn't go in the box.

http://youtu.be/aWHJEM9-emI

Radisson

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 00:35 »
still waiting for male???
Getting a little worried here. We have no males so far

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 15:01 »
Today at 1:57 p.m.
She  was sitting pretty in the box

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 12:25 »
I am hoping to convince to keep refresh but I bleive this cam can Zoom. peter and I trying to get them to give us capabilities, since they are not always there.

We will see

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 11:01 »
Sound!!! This will be very good.
The link has one view, very good view, of the nest box interior.
Are the views of the exterior of the box no longer on line?   

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 08:34 »
canm is now live and it sounds like we have sound
AS of Sunday still jsut RAdisson.

We will be down tonight

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm/media/peregrine-cam/watch-the-peregrine-live/u-of-a-peregrine-camera/

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 18:35 »
Get better soon, Bev

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 22:36 »
So wonderful to hear that Radisson is back, bev! :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 17:18 »
She's our girl!  Nice to know for sure.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 07:17 »
Great news that Radisson is back!  ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 01:20 »
was there a lot o f yesterday an d still just one falcon. Under the  weather today but Gord got cam guy to get positive Id of Radisson today
Cam will be up soon. Hopefuly get down there tomorrow evening or Sat depending how I feel

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 15:21 »
no problem TPC I just put links because I thought that is what I ws supposed to do.

If you have more than a couple of photos, links are probably best - if you just want to post a couple of photos, you can post the photos here - if you want to post a couple of photos and then add a link to your gallery so folks can look at all your photos, that works best since you always have lots of photos!

Wear warm clothes on your travels today!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 13:14 »
no problem TPC I just put links because I thought that is what I ws supposed to do.

We will be going down in cold snow today to see if male has arrived yet. With the bad weather south of here, I think some are delayed coming back

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 22:13 »
Hope you don't mind Bev - I tweaked your post so we could all see the first photos from U of Alberta

Thanks for keeping an eye on "our" girl and her family!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 19:20 »
Go, Radisson, go! 
So glad to hear Radisson is back.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 18:17 »
Peter an d i have been 2 nights in a row. and we are positive this is radisson home. no male yet but we have to get that confirmation and she is not cooperating LOL

Here are some photos . more to come one s of her hitting raven and another is of raven retreating she has been busy chasing ravens out of territory

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 22:12 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 11:07 »
Peter and I will go down tonight but we saw a falcon on thursday nihgt . do not know if it was one of ours or one passing through
Jean e-mailed this morning and said kill on north side of CP which indicates someone around
but that is all she has seen. So evening is best to go at this time of year, for us. We can check where they turn in etc.
have had company so have not had time till tonihgt

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
U of Alberta - 2013 / Chase & Radisson
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 18:53 »
While we are hoping that Radisson and Chase will be back again at the University of Alberta, it is going to take a couple more months of waiting to find out ...