Author Topic: Names for the Chicks  (Read 8391 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
West Winnipeg - 2015 - Names for the Chicks
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 11:56 »
Over the last three years we have only managed to band one of Ty's kids (Daer) and we have had very good luck with T named birds in this line - T-Rex then his son Trey then his son Ty so this year, I decided to find names that would work for both parents. 

So went back to the writings of Beatrix Potter to find inspiration and just sort of stumbled across Tiggy and Tuppence.  Which is a good thing, because I was having a great deal of trouble with the concept of Flopsy, Mopsy or Cottaintail as a name for a peregrine!  Then the tape colours on the bands just seemed to fit as well - Mrs Tiggy-Winkle was a washerwoman in Potter's stories and while Tiggy-Winkle is much too close to Flopsy et al in cuteness, I could see our blue chick as a Tiggy - and she seems to be a bit of a cleaner - by that I mean enthusiastic if not all that effective.  Perhaps with her new name she will more easily channel her grandfather even more than her parents  (they are pretty good cleaners, just some gull wings left in the box now - nowhere near as bad as their cousin Radisson has been some years!).  As for Tuppence, she is the smaller of the two females but the more charismatic of the two.  So little package - tuppence in English slang means a small thing, a trifle - with a big personality - the twopence coin one of the largest of the UK's coins.  It was also the name given to one of Agatha Christie's favourite characters, Tuppence of the Tommy and Tuppence mysteries. 

So now we have names that reference both sides of the girls' parentage and hopefully that will bring them luck!

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Names for the Chicks
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 16:56 »
Great names, TPC -- and, as always, I especially like the reasoning behind the names.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 22:32 »
...Verdun Belle was a dog who during WW1 attached herself to a young US Marine in the trenches of France... 

A lovely story about a faithful dog. This chick, "Belle" should be very proud of her namesake. 8)

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 15:31 »
Love the "B" theme, good name choices too!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 14:07 »

Belle - there are two nods here, one in honour of an excellent WW1 mother and a nod to her father's name

Verdun Belle was a dog who during WW1 attached herself to a young US Marine in the trenches of France.  It is a nice story, perhaps not entirely true as stories during wartime can sometimes be revised just a bit.  Having said that, perhaps not as this story from the Stars & Stripes isn't all warm & fuzzy.  If you want to read it, the best link I can find is here OR just google "Verdun Belle" and sort through the eBay and Amazon entries.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 13:43 »

Bristol - for the Bristol Bi-plane, a plane used by Canadian WW1 pilots

The Bristol F.2 Fighter was a British two-seat biplane fighter and reconnaissance aircraft of the First World War flown by the Royal Flying Corps. It is often simply called the Bristol Fighter or popularly the "Brisfit" or "Biff". Despite being a two-seater, the F.2B proved to be an agile aircraft that was able to hold its own against opposing single-seat fighters. The Bristol's solid design ensured that it remained in military service into the 1930s, and surplus aircraft were popular in civil aviation.

In September and October 1917, orders for 1,600 Bristols were placed and by the end of the First World War, the Royal Air Force had 1,583 in operation. A total of 5,329 aircraft were eventually built, mostly by Bristol but also by Standard Motors, Armstrong Whitworth and even the Cunard Steamship Company. After the war, Bristols continued to operate, serving with the New Zealand Permanent Air Force and RAAF as well as with the air forces of Belgium, Canada, Ireland, Greece, Mexico, Norway, Peru, Spain and Sweden. It was not until 1932 that the F.2B was finally withdrawn from RAF service, the last Bristol unit being No. 20 Squadron RAF stationed in India. The type lasted a further three years in New Zealand service.

Andrew Edward McKeever DSO, MC & Bar, DFC (21 August 1894 – 25 December 1919) was a Canadian World War I two-seater flying ace who, in conjunction with his gunners, was credited with 31 victories. He was the highest scoring two seater fighter pilot in the Royal Flying Corps or Royal Air Force.  He scored all 31 of his victories while flying the Britol fighter.  Seven different gunners/observers shared his victories. One of these, Lieutenant Leslie Powell, became an ace in his own right, with 19 successes, 18 of which were in tandem with McKeever.

There are three airworthy Bristol Fighters (as of 2007) one of which (identity # D-7889) is at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum, in Rockcliffe, Ontario

Source: Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_F.2_Fighter

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 13:16 »

Beaumont - for the assault on Beaumont-Hamel during the Battle of the Somme

Beaumont-Hamel is a commune in the Somme department in Picardy in northern France.  During the First World War, Beaumont-Hamel was very close to the front lines of the conflict and saw heavy combat, especially during the Battle of the Somme which was the largest Allied offensive of the entire war. By 1918 the village was almost totally destroyed.

The Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial is a memorial site in France dedicated to the commemoration of Dominion of Newfoundland forces members who were killed during World War I. The 74-acre (300,000 m2) preserved battlefield park encompasses the grounds over which the Newfoundland Regiment made their unsuccessful attack on 1 July 1916 during the first day of the Battle of the Somme.

The Battle of the Somme was the regiment's first major engagement, and during an assault that lasted approximately 30 minutes the regiment was all but wiped out. Purchased in 1921 by the people of Newfoundland, the memorial site is the largest battalion memorial on the Western Front, and the largest area of the Somme battlefield that has been preserved. Along with preserved trench lines, there are a number of memorials and cemeteries contained within the site.

Officially opened by British Field Marshal Earl Haig in 1925, the memorial site is one of only two National Historic Sites of Canada located outside of Canada. (The other is the Canadian National Vimy Memorial). The memorial site and experience of the Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont-Hamel has come to represent the Newfoundland First World War experience. As a result, it has become a Newfoundland symbol of sacrifice and a source of identity.

Sources:  

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 12:43 »

Bishop - for William "Billy" Avery Bishop

Air Marshal William Avery "Billy" Bishop, VC, CB, DSO & Bar, MC, DFC, ED, LL.D. (8 February 1894 – 11 September 1956) was a Canadian First World War flying ace, officially credited with 72 victories, making him the top Canadian ace of the war. During the Second World War, Bishop was instrumental in setting up and promoting the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.

Source:  Wikipedia = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Bishop

Fuller biography = http://www.constable.ca/caah/bbishop.htm

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
West Winnipeg - 2014 - Names for the Chicks
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 12:41 »
Okay, have names for these chicks and just in time because these guys are quickedly mobile!

Major theme - the letter "B" - with Beatrix & Beau as their parents, we had to commemorate the year with birds with B names
Minor themes - plays on the meanings of names and the 100th centenary of WW1

male (no tape) - Bishop - after Billy Bishop, WW1 Canadian ace
male (blue tape) - Beaumont - from the battle of Beaumont Hamel and a nod to Beau's name
female (red tape) - Bristol - the name of a type of WW1 biplane
female (yellow tape) - Belle - nod to Beau's name

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 Chick Names
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 20:49 »
Sometimes you just have to let it percolate, sometimes they pop into your head right away, some I have no idea where the ideas come from and others come from way out in left field and are perfect.  These ones were percolates I think ...

Wow! Absolutely perfect "percolates", TPC, in this year of Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee! I love them! 8)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 18:28 »
Wow - brilliant names.  Of course I'll never be able to remember them ::)

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 15:09 »
Great names Tracy! The jewels are very beautiful, just like the 3 chicks.  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 15:05 »
How you come up with the most unique names Tracy is beyond my understanding, but these are really great names!

Sometimes you just have to let it percolate, sometimes they pop into your head right away, some I have no idea where the ideas come from and others come from way out in left field and are perfect.  These ones were percolates I think ...

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 14:58 »
How you come up with the most unique names Tracy is beyond my understanding, but these are really great names!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 13:58 »
Andamooka = red tape on silver band

La Peregrina = green tape on silver band

Koh-i-Noor = no tape on silver band