Author Topic: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 109576 times)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
Re: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #749 on: October 11, 2016, 17:14 »
Hot off the Press...
Camera check this afternoon found nothing but an empty box at the Radisson...just about to switch views when a visitor showed up. Adult male ( I think ) with a band on the left leg...unfortunately unable to get a good look at the band.
Bird was there for 1 1/2 hrs ( perhaps will stay longer )...sleeping and preening and watching the world go by.

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #748 on: September 25, 2016, 14:25 »
Thanks for the updates, it's always good to hear about and see pictures at this time of year.  It would be great to see them for a little while yet.   Here's hoping.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #747 on: September 25, 2016, 11:27 »
So far have only seen Smiley (I think he wasn't around for long & wouldn't sit still) this morning - all the other nestsites are quiet.  Maybe the weather or maybe last hurrah ... will have to wait and see ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #746 on: September 24, 2016, 11:04 »
Had an interesting visitor this am when Smiley was absent - Windsor from Logan.

Haven't seen him since August - he was wet (it was raining) but he looked good.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #745 on: September 23, 2016, 16:50 »
I was downtown near the convention centre Tuesday night, Sep 20. A pair of falcons flew between the convention centre, the hydro building and the Radisson for about 15 minutes around 6:30.   As has happened to me in the past, I heard them before I saw them. I lost sight of them as they chased each other south towards the river over the convention centre.  It was nice to see them again... maybe the last time this season.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #744 on: September 20, 2016, 16:02 »
Thanks for reposting this RCF!  I couldn't get onto the Forum (server was having its usual untimely maintenance) and was in between events when I posted to Twitter!!

Sept 17 - couple of flybys between 1700 and 1900h; no visits to the nestbox
Sept 18 - flyby just before 0700h; no visits to the nestbox
Sept 19 - very windy - 64 second visit by (I think) Smiley
Sept 20 - Smiley hung out on the box-edge for about an hour this morning - didn't  have any company, but he didn't seem to mind, just sat enjoying the view.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #743 on: September 17, 2016, 16:38 »

I still keep the sound playing (on the cam), so just thought I’d mention that today I heard a peregrine at 2:27 pm, and again at 5:37 pm.

TPC posted this on Twitter on Sept 16 2016 of Princess and Smiley at the nest box.

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/776871528377880576

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #742 on: September 13, 2016, 18:54 »
Headed towards MTS Centre - will check out the area!! :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #741 on: September 12, 2016, 19:55 »

I just heard a peregrine again at 7:49 pm. Perhaps someone in the area and will look towards the nest, but it will be getting dark very soon.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #740 on: September 12, 2016, 17:53 »

I still keep the sound playing (on the cam), so just thought I’d mention that today I heard a peregrine at 2:27 pm, and again at 5:37 pm.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #739 on: September 12, 2016, 17:27 »
Checked the recordings from yesterday and we did have a male visitor in the afternoon (1400h) and it was NOT Smiley.  It is a male we have identified in the past but he's never been identified in Winnipeg before - and most certainly never at the Radisson!

TPC, do you have any further information such as his age or where he’s from?  ???

If he’s searching for a nice home I hope he will find an empty nestbox in Winnipeg … if they’re still available. I wouldn’t want to see any fighting.

He's from the US and I'm not sure of his age but can see if I can find out.  He's not searching for a home, he has one that he's pretty devoted to, so this is probably just migrating out, I heard that he and his mate didn't have a successful nest this year, so he and likely she have decided to start heading out on their travels north/east/west before finally heading south in a bit.

Thank you for your information, TPC. I’m just happy to hear this new male already has a home; I was concerned that he may have had his sights on the Radisson!

Anyhow, it is always interesting to learn about new peregrines in the area - but we may not even see him again - if he was simply dropping by ... however, if you should happen to find any further info, or, if you spot him again, please let us know.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #738 on: September 12, 2016, 17:15 »
No fighting that I've been able to see and no one looks banged up or anything, so likely just the start of birds moving around and checking things out.  It isn't unusual for stranger birds to drop by for a visit and it is likely just Smiley and perhaps still Princess though she tends to leave earlier, warning the visitor that this isn't and unoccupied territory.  Same thing used to happen with Trey in particular.  Can't remember if it did for Ivy, don't think so, think it was pretty quiet until he left and then if there were visitors they turned up then.

As for the image/sound - they come in on separate signals so it may mean that the IT folks in Toronto have cut the video signal but not the audio.  I know they have been so busy they didn't turn off the camera in July like they planned, so we had lots of free viewing this year which was a bonus!  :)

I hope Princess doesn’t leave too early. I was still hoping to see some bonding.  :)

Separate signals for video and audio - okay, so your thoughts are likely right, TPC … I really do miss seeing our Radisson birds though. However, I’m very thankful for the bonus viewing time (whether or not intended)!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #737 on: September 11, 2016, 19:23 »
Interesting goings-on this week. Thanks TPC et al for the updates.   :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #736 on: September 11, 2016, 11:40 »
Checked the recordings from yesterday and we did have a male visitor in the afternoon (1400h) and it was NOT Smiley.  It is a male we have identified in the past but he's never been identified in Winnipeg before - and most certainly never at the Radisson!

TPC, do you have any further information such as his age or where he’s from?  ???

If he’s searching for a nice home I hope he will find an empty nestbox in Winnipeg … if they’re still available. I wouldn’t want to see any fighting.

He's from the US and I'm not sure of his age but can see if I can find out.  He's not searching for a home, he has one that he's pretty devoted to, so this is probably just migrating out, I heard that he and his mate didn't have a successful nest this year, so he and likely she have decided to start heading out on their travels north/east/west before finally heading south in a bit.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #735 on: September 11, 2016, 11:36 »
No fighting that I've been able to see and no one looks banged up or anything, so likely just the start of birds moving around and checking things out.  It isn't unusual for stranger birds to drop by for a visit and it is likely just Smiley and perhaps still Princess though she tends to leave earlier, warning the visitor that this isn't and unoccupied territory.  Same thing used to happen with Trey in particular.  Can't remember if it did for Ivy, don't think so, think it was pretty quiet until he left and then if there were visitors they turned up then.

As for the image/sound - they come in on separate signals so it may mean that the IT folks in Toronto have cut the video signal but not the audio.  I know they have been so busy they didn't turn off the camera in July like they planned, so we had lots of free viewing this year which was a bonus!  :)