Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2018 / Chase & Radisson  (Read 8902 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2018 / Chase & Radisson
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2018, 12:31 »
august2

We had to rescue silver girl 3 times so she went out to pembina she just was to anxious to go and too headstrong , and was too heavy . she flew well but with her weight did not have quite enough we could have gone with putting her back up for a 4th  time , and when Pembina is not available this will happen , but we did not want  to risk a hit at maz, and that would have been next step. She is a big beautiful girl

unfortunately Green tape girl, hit the maz on her first flight. It broke my heart.  I just stood in shock and misbelief

I will post some pictures  before this  later tonight

but silver tape and 2 of her brothers will be flying on the pembina  . radisson and Chase do not know bu t we do.

I will update all other sites this weekend . we are exhausted

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2018, 10:57 »
Looks like this group of chicks almost have their juvenille plummage in, and fledging is soon.   ::) :'(

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2018, 14:10 »
june27

sorry I have not been here. it has been a stressful season thus far. I have 6 sites to monitor, and a friend helps me. We have had fights , then watching at U  of A to make right call at right time, and then we had to keep careful watch at miscercordia as new female . (sending Gord, footage of misercordia, and then he made the call to go up two times , to check. luckily we have good male there. will post over there later)
when you see DVr just hit refresh, you will get live back Allison. I think they put up too many cams on their system. really hard to monitor all properly

. so back to U of A

the wee one was only in incubator for a bi t first day.  so far so good for it
our chicks are : 2 are 16days, 1 is 15 days and on eat treatment site is 11days old

if chase makes it to en d of season he will be lucky. He makes us laugh and frustrates us at same time. I think radisson may kill him ;D

https://youtu.be/KWjc9I9ZPcU

june20 radisson

our kids are looking good.

this morning. chase and radison a little more civil.

so I have asked two other people to organize watch this year. We will still do shifts and rescue and bring home if needed, but after 11 years of doing this I am growing weary and need to start interjecting some  other volunteers. this   also frees us ot do quick monitors at our other sites.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2018, 09:06 »
From the site:

Update: June 19, 2018

The chick that was removed the other day (#4) is doing well; it's in an incubator, fed regularly, and growing daily.

I hope the little one continues to do well. Meantime, the cam is on DVR as usual.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2018, 13:01 »
An encouraging update on the little chick rescued by Gordon Court. Information from Bev on June 18.

Dr. Court informed me today that our wee chick that was extracted from nest on Friday, is, so far, doing well. He was in a sorry state when he was retrieved. But as I said, we are fortunate to have a few things at our fingertips, to help in these situations. Some sites do not have this. So positive thoughts for this sweet one, that it continues to thrive.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2018, 17:12 »
He's a good man, I too am happy the little one is in care. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2018, 20:04 »
I’m thankful to know the little rescued chick now has a chance for survival. Thank you to everyone who weighed in with their thoughts and information.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2018, 15:56 »
Gordon Court did a very good thing by acting quickly and rescuing this poor little chick. According to him, the chick would not have lived another two hours, but now that the chick is in care, he feels that the little one will survive.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2018, 15:13 »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2018, 06:54 »
Gord has rescued the baby and it is being cared for as per Bev.

https://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=376&t=2320&start=160
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:26 by carly »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2018, 01:43 »
I haven’t seen the video but that i have seen very good parents ignore newly hatched chicks when the chick has a problem. Jules had a chick she never brooded just sat on her other chick and watched the weaker Chick die.  The chick that died wouldn’t have survived - it had an external germination but more devastating was that his/her mandible was terribly malformed. Couldn’t see either on camera only when I had the chick in my hand. It is possible that the last of Chase’s and Radisson’s chicks was late hatching because it was already in distress in the shell and they knew it wasn’t going to survive. It maybe that Cahse and Radisson are “good” enough parents to recognize a chick that won’t survive.

There was mention of Chase stepping on the chick - that most certain is a common occurrence - all of our females in particular have done it at one time or another. Some of the males too but often the females won’t let the males near their chicks until they are bigger - too big to step on. For that reason I wouldn’t automatically assume the second is related to the first.

Just my two cents during a year that is all upside down. Here it is June 15th and we only have 1 chick .  I should have banded a half dozen chicks by now with another half dozen to do in the next few days.  Other sites report similar surprising or disappointing nest results. It is getting so wild this year nothing should surprise me.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 22:27 »
Poor little chick. :(

I looked at the recorded video and really don’t feel that Chase deliberately stomped on the chick, Alison. My take is that a few things were bothering him at that time. For instance, I think he was concerned about the other chicks who were hungry and very clearly begging him for food, and I strongly feel that he knew things were not going well for the little one. So when Radisson came in with food I think he simply wanted to make way for her as quickly as possible but accidentally made the wrong step. And I also believe that Radisson knew the little one was not strong, but no matter what the cause the parent usually gives priority to the strongest, sad as that may appear to some humans (myself included). 

The video also showed that while Radisson was brooding the four chicks the tiny one was removed. I’m confident that Gordon Court will do what is best for this chick. Also, Bev keeps a very close watch on things and will likely report when she has a chance. I’m hoping for the best here but will have to wait to see what they say.

Chase makes me laugh at times, but I still feel both Chase and Radisson are very good peregrine parents.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 14:30 »
A little while ago, I was able to access this cam while the live stream was actually functioning. The three chicks were not being brooded, and Radisson seemed much more interested in picking gravel. Chase similarly ignored the chicks, who had no food in their crops and seemed very hungry.

Meanwhile, the fourth chick was part way through hatching, and was totally ignored by both parents. The chick finally hatched, and Chase, who was in the nest, stepped on the chick on his way out, leaving the chicks alone.

When Radisson returned, she had food and fed the three chicks, while ignoring the new hatchling. Chase came back and watched from outside the nest, and then went into the nest and deliberately stomped on the brand new chick, twice, before leaving again.

When Radisson returned after taking out the leftovers, she brooded the three chicks for a minute and left again. Chase came in once more and made a complete mess of attempting to brood the three older chicks.

Radisson came back again, and eventually settled with the chicks under her.

I thought these two were supposedly good parents. The way the tiny new chick has been treated, I think he has very little chance to survive.  :(

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 10:17 »
we have 3 chicks and all are dong well. do not know if  4th will hatch
but watch this vidoe.

thi sis why we love chase. He is a goof and he even gives Radisson a bite.

https://youtu.be/v6EP1TmZoXQ

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2018, 17:45 »

Thanks, burdi! Congratuiations to Radisson and Chase on their brand new chicks!

Chase (bottom left) in to see his chicks: