Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2018 / A Death in the Family - Beatrix (2011-2018)  (Read 34645 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Beatrix Rescued in Texas
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2016, 11:58 »
Thanks for sharing the CBC post. When I read it and again saw the attached photos, I saw something I had not noticed before.........on her boarding pass, I see she traveled this journey using a "child" ticket/boarding pass. And reading your comments and seeing her bandages. I smiled when I read, "we'll take it one STEP at a time"  :) 

I think the airline probably had fun thinking about what they could put on her ticket ... I would have  ;D

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2016, 12:47 »
 ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2016, 05:18 »
Thanks for sharing the CBC post. When I read it and again saw the attached photos, I saw something I had not noticed before.........on her boarding pass, I see she traveled this journey using a "child" ticket/boarding pass. And reading your comments and seeing her bandages. I smiled when I read, "we'll take it one STEP at a time"  :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2016, 00:27 »
Just read about Beatrix's return to Manitoba on the CBC website. What wonderful news to receive on my birthday!
So glad to hear she has finally returned to Canadian soil to continue her recovery! Will definitely be making a donation to the Project before the end of the year.  :D

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2016, 17:30 »
Thank you Tracy! Glad Beatrix is home.  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2016, 16:55 »
Thanks for all the links and updates on Beatrix TPC.  :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2016, 15:08 »
Had a chat with the folks on Radio Noon today (Janet Stewart is the new host) and Bryce Hoye has put together a story for their website ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/peregrine-falcon-beatrix-winnipeg-1.3885249

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2016, 15:06 »
Beatrix really needed a passport? Does it have her picture inside?

A passport was the only thing Beatrix didn't need - the passport was Kathy Rogers'.  But if you look closely on the ticket you can see Beatrix's name (last name first, first name last) "Falcon / Beatrix" on the American Airlines ticket as well as "Docs OK" meaning all her permits were in place.

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2016, 12:33 »
Tracy,

Beatrix really needed a passport? Does it have her picture inside?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2016, 12:00 »
Nice to hear Beatrix is home on Manitoba soil.  But, sorry to hear about her feet.  Is that trouble most likely due to being "perched" for so long in cages?

Sort of - it isn't unusual for raptors in recovery to get things like bumblefoot because they are standing so much as they are recovering.  Usually they would fly, stand, fly, perch, fly, etc - you get the idea.  Lots of different surfaces for them to stand on in lots of different places. Hard to provide that in a captive environment.  On the other hand, easier to spot and treat in a captive environment than in the wild.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2016, 06:18 »
Nice to hear Beatrix is home on Manitoba soil.  But, sorry to hear about her feet.  Is that trouble most likely due to being "perched" for so long in cages?

Poor thing.  Hope she heals well and fast, and will be back to her fiesty self in the spring.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2016, 00:08 »
We don't know how fast her feet will heal, but we can say that Beatrix will be in recovery until at least the Spring.  Her food preference is for quail which means ordering from an out-of-province breeder.  The price for the quail is reasonable but shipping costs just as much - they have to get flown here so they stay frozen.

If you have been thinking about making a donation (this year or next) and you'd like to help out with Beatrix's recovery - you can donate to the Project (we'll be ordering the quail & contributing to vet costs) or directly to PWRC (you can include a note indicating your donation is for Beatrix's care).

If you want to help, but your finances won't let you donate, no worries, we understand, particularly at this time of the year.  We appreciate everyone's support, financial or otherwise.  And the unfortunate truth is, because we are working with wildlife, there will always be opportunities to help in the future.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2016, 23:41 »
Some photos from Beatrix's adventures ...

En-route from Texas ...

...and then once she was back in town ...

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2016, 20:33 »
I just saw the update from PWRC and longed in here to read the updates

What an amazing journey Beatrix has had!

Big thanks to TPC and everyone on involved in bringing this girl home

Wishing Beatrix a quick recovery

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2016, 09:55 »
I just saw the news item on FB.  So happy she's back!!  Welcome home Beatrix ;D